Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Anyone used a Thunder Power 610C charger ?

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Anyone used a Thunder Power 610C charger ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 08:56 PM
asharog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone used a Thunder Power 610C charger ?

Just noticed this 10 Amp charger can be used for A123 type cells, anyone have experience with it?

Al Sharog
Old 02-22-2008, 12:49 PM
ggroyal1

Default RE: Anyone used a Thunder Power 610C charger ?

Thinking about buying one from Draganfly for $129 and free shipping. Here is a photo.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99100.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	885526  
Old 02-22-2008, 03:28 PM
everydayflyer

i am sure it is a nice charger / balancer and I love my TP1010C /210V combo just remember the 610 is only a 80 watt charger.

2SA123 = 7.3 volts charge to so 10 amps. max requires 73 watts however 3x3.65=10.95
95 sp 10 amps. charge rate would require 110 watts and the 610 falls short.

Charles
Old 02-22-2008, 03:47 PM
ggroyal1

Hey Charles,
You can't beat the TP1010C, I have been using mine for almost two years with Zero problems. I have upgraded mine and a few others at the flying club(www.smrcf.com). I don't have any A123 batteries at this time, but I plan to try them for receiver and ignition batteries when the TP lipo's need to be replaced. I was thinking about the 610 as a portable to take to the flying field. I am using the Astro-flight 12v power supply with the tp1010C. We just installed 110v AC at each table and plan to add 12v DC later. I hope we have more good flying weather, it sure has been nice this season for flying. It looks like you get most of the bad weather before we do. Happy flying and thanks for the info.

George G. Royal
Old 03-18-2008, 01:11 PM
Stuntguy13

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a TP610C that I am using with a 3s2P A123 pack for control line stunt. To date I have a pack build by MEC that comes in a solderless molded package all prewired and ready to go. I have used the TP610C from both a Radio Shack 12VDC, 15A power supply and charged at 3amp for the first few charges (as recommended by MEC) then increased to 8amps, also charged from field 12V battery at 8amps worked great for me. One thing they could do better is with the instruction manual, you need to read it carefully as it is written for someone very familar with charges (with I was not as this was my first venture into electric power) but after a couple read thoughts you can figure it out.
Old 05-04-2008, 04:14 AM
jasonwang3a

for 10A charger, you can go to www.bphobbies.com , the CY-1010B can charge battery pack at up to 10A, 200W max. it supports 1-10S lipo/liFe, 1-27S nimh/nicd and up to 36V Pb battery pack.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:44 PM
aaxiss

Just picked up a 610c today really like the way it works. As stated above the instructions are written for people familiar with chargers somewhat. I didn't have any problems figuring out the charger settings and this will be a great 2nd charger to complement my cellpro 4s . on thing I am not quite sure of is my charger came with no connectors for the output, only the balance connector. I am assuming that they expect you to make your own connector as there are so many different types. For example I use Deans Ultra on my packs for my electric planes ( Lipo ) and am using dual JR type leads on my 2s A123 packs for my 30% SU-26 for the receiver and the Ignition. I made up a deans connector Using some 4mm bullet type plugs for the Lipo's and did the same for my A123 only I made it a into a Y harness so I could split tin incoming load to the A123 over both connectors and not try and pump over 3A through one JR connector. I will probably not exceed 5A on this setup to be safe. ( note ) My A123 are home made Dewalt packs with 2 JR type connectors on them with balance tabs.

anyway see pictures below

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87670.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	944439   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nj25660.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	176.1 KB
ID:	944440   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq37529.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	944441  
Old 05-06-2008, 06:55 PM
theradioflyer

I got the 610 about a month ago. Directions stink but it works very well.

Here are a few off-sight links with some good info:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=845721

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=811160

God Bless!
Old 06-15-2008, 08:25 AM
supercharged347

Got my 610C....and cant seem to get it to work. I got a 2s 2000 mah elite from cheapbatterypacks.com, along with the charger. The battery came with a 4s balancer connector on it (not sure why it didnt have a 2s one) and the charger says balancer connector error. Tried a friends 2s on it, and it comes up with a voltage error, or reversed polarity. This battery has the proper 2s balancer connector, and gets charged on a different charger (not sure of brand) with no problems. Wondering if maybe the balancer board that plugs into the 610C was made wrong ?? Any ideas ??

Frustrating I cant charge my new battery.
Old 07-12-2008, 01:41 AM
evilhorse

i got the same problem, a lil help here folks?
Old 07-12-2008, 02:00 AM
evilhorse

nvm, i just failed to read the directions, i have to charge through the output and hook to the balancer, im used to the eflight ones where its plug and play. DEEDEEDEE
Old 08-30-2008, 10:17 PM
supercharged347

I have the TP 610C....failry easy to use, like it for the most part. For some reason I cant figure out how to do a balance charge though !

In the manual it mentioned charging at .5 amps and doing a balance charge if I remember right...but I cant figure it out.

anyone ? Maybe there is something wrong with mine. The balancer shows as hooked up, and can read the seperate cells voltage
Old 09-02-2008, 08:12 PM
Zeta30

I've got this charger and it will charge my A123 3s 2300mAh pack in a little over 20 minutes. Don't forget you need to plug in not only the balance plug but the two banana power plugs, (Not included with the charger).

I have the TP 610C....failry easy to use, like it for the most part. For some reason I cant figure out how to do a balance charge though !

In the manual it mentioned charging at .5 amps and doing a balance charge if I remember right...but I cant figure it out.

anyone ? Maybe there is something wrong with mine. The balancer shows as hooked up, and can read the seperate cells voltage
When I charge the A123 packs, they are charging so fast that the charger can't keep up with the balance part of it. When I charge my 3s LiPos at a much lower rate it keeps them very well balanced, w/ in .009v.

The A123 packs are usually with around .08-.1v high/low by the end of the charge, if I leave them on for about 5-10 minutes after the charge they will continue to balance out down to about .02v difference.

Below is a link to a Quick Start guide for the charger. As those who have purchased this charger know the manual is very poor. The Quick Guide really helped me out a lot, the person that made it did a top notch job!

[link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=845721]Quick Start Guide[/link]
Old 07-31-2009, 05:26 PM
overkill1

own a 610 charger along with friends who also bought this charger. works great if you could see screen .screen display goes out and thunder power at this time will not or choose not to answer or adress this problem even through local shop were purchased.would look at different and ask about warr.. as I seam to be left in the cold with a charger you cannot see to tell what you are programing.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:46 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Zeta30

I've got this charger and it will charge my A123 3s 2300mAh pack in a little over 20 minutes. Don't forget you need to plug in not only the balance plug but the two banana power plugs, (Not included with the charger).

When I charge the A123 packs, they are charging so fast that the charger can't keep up with the balance part of it. When I charge my 3s LiPos at a much lower rate it keeps them very well balanced, w/ in .009v.

The A123 packs are usually with around .08-.1v high/low by the end of the charge, if I leave them on for about 5-10 minutes after the charge they will continue to balance out down to about .02v difference.

Below is a link to a Quick Start guide for the charger. As those who have purchased this charger know the manual is very poor. The Quick Guide really helped me out a lot, the person that made it did a top notch job!

[link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=845721]Quick Start Guide[/link]

I just printed out that Quick-start guide and I am going out NOW to see if I can finally get mine to work. I was about an hour from throwing it in the garbage. It still could end up there. Here's hoping your quick-start guide suggestion works! I hate spending this much money and having something that won't even so much as cycle a NiMh battery pack right. I was about to throw all my old packs away, thinking they were bad because it wouldn't charge them without dropping out and erroring, but I decided what the heck, and bought a handful of new packs from my favorite, Radical RC. It's doing the same thing to these brand-new packs. Sure hope this guide makes a difference, or I'll be buying a new charger in the morning. I'm pretty disgusted with Thunder Power right now. I've missed several important flying weekends due to this piece of questionable technology. Glad to see some others are having issues getting theirs to work as well, maybe I'm not crazy and there is hope. Okay, well, maybe there is hope......

Jim
Old 08-31-2009, 08:20 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Nope, NOT gonna happen. I was able to get it to charge, what I couldn't get it to do was to DIScharge and cycle.

Rats.

Jim.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:05 PM
Druss

That's pretty wierd, I've cycled tons of packs through my 610C with no issues at all. Maybe you just got a bum one? Contact Thunder Power service, if they can't help over the phone then maybe they'll replace it.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:31 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

I'm HOPING that I'm just an idiot who doesn't know how to use it right so far. I actually found instructions online tonight to get into a menu for cycling the NiMh battery packs, and I've just set it up and started a cycle. This MAY be what I've been missing up until now. Even if it doesn't work, I have to say kudos to the goodhearted folks who have spent their time trying to make other's lives easier in this hobby. It renews my faith in human character, and I have to say that these threads so often can do just the opposite.

So, it is with renewed hope that I wander in and out of my shop tonight! I had thought I had reached a dead end, but I think this small set of instructions is what I needed. I'll let you know how it goes.

The last time I came in and asked around, all I got was "WHY do you want to discharge your NiMh's???? You're just wasting battery life!!!"

I personally don't know of any other way to verify whether a receiver pack is in good working condition after they have been sitting in a moving box for some months. Nor do any of my flying buddies.

Jim
Old 09-02-2009, 07:35 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Happy to report that I am, indeed, an idiot who didn't know how to run it. That means I didn't waste my money on this 610C.

Some of you guys were nice enough to provide me with places to go and I finally found an entry in what I think is Thunder Power's newest version of the manual, telling how to get into the cycle menu and how to set it up.

I've now run 4 batteries through, and what I'm probably the happiest about is that I don't have to throw away a 4000mAh battery I was questioning, it has proven out in good shape. Those suckers are 50 bucks a pop!

Thanks, guys for taking me from extremely frustrated to extremely happy! You rock!

Jim
Old 09-05-2009, 01:20 PM
Hardy

Anyone used the 610c with a LiFePo battery? On a discharge test what does the flashing E mean? The battery volts are above the cutoff but 610c has stopped discharging the battery.
Old 09-05-2009, 04:14 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

E means ERROR

Jim
Old 09-05-2009, 10:46 PM
Hardy

So why should the 610c go in ERROR before it has discharged the LiFePo battery pack to the set cutoff
Old 09-05-2009, 11:04 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

I believe I'VE been the one asking why he couldn't get his Thunder Power 610C to work here up until now.

The instructions don't tell you SQUAT, so I could venture a guess. The battery pack is dead, or the numbers are outside the discharge parameters, and who know what THOSE are? I had one say that it errored today, and then it went into a 300 second wait and then tried to finish the cycle. I haven't even gone and looked to see if it came out okay, because I have no idea why the Thunder Power 610C charger does anything that's not normal.

If it weren't for the guys on here writing their own manuals and me taking information from TWO of those manuals, I wouldn't have been able to get mine to do a cycle.

Jim
Old 09-05-2009, 11:29 PM
Hardy

To me the 610c seemed very hot. The battery voltage was 6.4 volts measured. The cutoff was set at 2.8 volts and discharge rate was 85 ma. The battery type is LiFePo. 2s. The charge cycle seems to work well and the unit does not get hot at all.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:57 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

I keep my power source and my charger elevated on wooden blocks, and I run one of those personal fans across them and the battery packs to keep everything cool. I've noticed that they can get pretty hot sometimes. My friends all tell me they run a fan as well. I've been designing a little 3-story shelf that's nice and compact that the personal fan can cool all at once, as a space saver.

Jim