Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Battery discharger

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2002, 08:45 AM
mefly2
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery discharger

I believe it is a good idea to discharge your batt packs completely before recharging. I was wondering if anybody has made a homemade discharger and how.

-Bob
Old 03-10-2002, 10:15 AM
Ed Smith

Leave it in the flight pack and switch it on.

Or,

Hook the battery up to a small light bulb.

Ed s

Without some method of terminating the discharge you run the risk of reversing 1 or more cells which can permanently damage the pack. There is no reason to discharge a pack other than to check capacity occasionally.
Old 03-10-2002, 11:22 PM
sigflyer
My Feedback: (5)

The battery bug...http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi-9.htm...cheap and it works.
Johnny

http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi-9.htm
Old 03-15-2002, 01:13 PM
f2racer

I bought an Astro Flight Model 104 Discharger. It discharges both 4 and 8 cell packs at the same time to between 1 and 1.1v per cell (very consistent). Cheap too, I picked it up from Tower!
Old 03-15-2002, 05:32 PM
bob_nj
My Feedback: (62)

Default Every Time

I would like to refer this to a higher power, but until OZ has spoken, I wouldn't discharge/cycle them after each use. Just isn't necessary in my opinion. Although batteries are by far one of the most important links to our success, we tend to make them more complicated than necessary at times_Bob
Old 03-15-2002, 06:22 PM
f2racer

Default Re: Every Time

Originally posted by bob_nj
I would like to refer this to a higher power, but until OZ has spoken, I wouldn't discharge/cycle them after each use. Just isn't necessary in my opinion. Although batteries are by far one of the most important links to our success, we tend to make them more complicated than necessary at times_Bob
Absolutely agreed, I make it a habit to go 9-12 slow charges before discharging, or 6-8 fast charges. I've read over on ezonemag that too much discharging is as bad as no discharging for NiCDs, and NiMH don't ever need to be discharged (at least that's what the manufacturers say).