Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Shoud I toss my Mystery battery now?

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Shoud I toss my Mystery battery now?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 05:52 PM
n00bflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shoud I toss my Mystery battery now?

So I'm out at the field, use one battery, plug in my second and NOTHING!!! Upon inspection when I get home and take the cover wrapper off the battery I found that all cells have good voltage BUT one of the thin metal tangs that comes off one of the outer cells has broken off the little circut board that all the cells are soldered to. It looks like the tape that was around the tang was slightly burnt. But I'm thinking that maybe it started to tear and started arcing right before it finally went.

Any recommendation on what I should do? Toss the battery re-solder the tab? I thought I had heard that the little circuit board had some safety built in to it and maybe that's why it did this. However based on a voltage check all cells are about 4.2 volts so I think they are all good.

What should I do?
Old 04-20-2008, 06:20 PM
BigTb17

Default RE: Shoud I toss my Mystery battery now?

If it were me I would probably try to re-solder it. But don't do anything you feel unsafe doing. Maybe try just touching the wire to the spot it was soldered to and see if there are any arcs or any other signs of problems. Maybe check to see if the cell voltages change while it is connected.

If you do try soldering it you should probably pay extra close attention while charging/flying it for a while to make sure all is well.

Keep in mind that these aren't professional opinions. They are simply the opinions of a person who has rigged a lot of things that might not have been advisable. So like I said, don't do anything that you feel might be unsafe.
Old 04-20-2008, 08:00 PM
n00bflyer

We must be long lost brothers =). I too have rigged many a thing that others would consider unsafe(and I still have all 10 fingers and 10 toes)........though Mac Guyver would be really proud. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:01 PM
BigTb17

Haha, no problem. Good luck.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:37 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I assume these are LiPo's. If so, the tabs are probably aluminum and that will make it difficult if not impossible to solder with regular solder and flux. You may need to get some flux and solder made specifically for aluminum.