Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Question for Wiring Battery Packs

Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Question for Wiring Battery Packs

Old 06-30-2008, 10:12 AM
AIRPLANENUTS
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for Wiring Battery Packs

Guys, I am going to make two receiver packs, plug them in to two switches that will be plugged in to two receiver channels on one receiver. Anyone know how I would wire them so that I can charge both packs simultaneously?

Thanks,
Rick
Old 06-30-2008, 10:38 AM
MR G

Default RE: Question for Wiring Battery Packs

It is more a function of your charger than how the batteries are wired.

The problem lies with the common ground with your batteries as they are paralelled into your RX.

Check around and find a charger that can handle a common ground situation. There are quite a few.

MR G
Old 06-30-2008, 03:46 PM
AIRPLANENUTS

Thanks, Mr. G. I have 6 chargers that I want to use, though.

Anyone else have an idea? I want to avoid the common ground in the rx, and I hoped that by wiring an extra lead to the packs before the switch, the rx wouldn't see the pack until the switch is turned on.
Old 06-30-2008, 05:20 PM
bruce_c

You really want to find/make a pair of switches that switch both the positive and negative. That way your batteries a totally isolated (no commoned ground via rx) when the switched are off.

Most switches available comercially only switch the positve - bit i am sue there are some out there at switch both sides. Failing that you can make a set.

That way you can use any pair of chargers to chrage the packs without worrying abou tthem getting upset/going bang (i had 2 go bang in a situation like this - expensive lesson learnt)
Old 06-30-2008, 07:41 PM
Dorsal
My Feedback: (17)

I think all you need is a good DPDT (Double Pole Double Throw) switch, capable of handling the max amperage of your RX / Servo combination. Then you wire the positives down the left side of the switch, with the RX in the middle, and the negatives down the right side of the switch with the RX in the middle again. Voila!

Most of the switches on planes are SPDT switches (Single Pole Double Throw) so they can only handle one side of the circuit.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:48 AM
pettit
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

According to my good friend "Red", charging nicads or nimh batteries in parallel is not recommended.

Peak chargers will recognize the highest pack voltage and stop charging, and maybe the other pack is barely charged.

My Spectra 4 charger can handle the "common ground" configuration, and others can also.

That's the way I would do it.

There's no sense wiring up a new switch that breaks both the ground and the positive leads. It only adds to the possible problems that could occur.

Old 07-01-2008, 01:17 PM
AIRPLANENUTS

Guys, thanks for the sound advice. What I intended to use are my Futaba heavy-duty switches, but as you say, they probably only break the circuit on one side. I was wondering if I could wire separate leads to the battery packs, bypassing the swith altogether in the charging stage. Would the receiver see the voltage in this situation if the switches are off? I also intend to use two chargers, by the way.

Thank you,
Rick
Old 07-02-2008, 04:03 PM
Jazzy

Rick,

It is really rather easy to do what you want. Just get yourself two Double Pole Single Throw switches, two charge leads of your choice, and wire as per the diagram below.
A word of caution: solder carefully but securely!

Good luck,
Jeff
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11296.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	982815  
Old 07-02-2008, 06:07 PM
AIRPLANENUTS

Thanks, Jeff. Great diagram. That would completely isolate the packs from the rx.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:24 PM
Jazzy

Thanks! I forgot to mention that both leads going into the receiver can be put into a Y-harness if only one channel is available for power.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:46 PM
AIRPLANENUTS

Thanks, Jeff.