Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Help on Charging two packs Lipo

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Help on Charging two packs Lipo

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 03:15 AM
kianhon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help on Charging two packs Lipo

I'm using Thunder power(TP-610c) and Turnigy Accucel 6 balance charger
Can I charge 2 packs Lipo with each charger with those connectors listed below?

Plug 2 Lipo with "2nd Pic" and follow with plugging each lipo balancing tap to "1st pic" then plug to the charger's 6s balancer? I'll ignore the dean in "1st Pic"?

If yes then how many "C" and lipo cell I should select in my charger?, I'm using only 11.1v 3s1p 2200mah 20/25c lipos.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81233.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	989499   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pm35100.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	989500  
Old 07-14-2008, 02:37 AM
mrasmm

Default RE: Help on Charging two packs Lipo

I think you've kinda got it. What I would do is just use the one in the first picture. Depending on how it works, you wont need to use the deans connector if you have a balance charger setup. Balance taps are rated for about 3A, and a 1C (which is the max charge rate for standard lipo's) for your packs is only 2.2A, so unless the connectors start heating up that should work. I imagine that this is just a connector, and involves no real circuitry or anything like that. The main thing you want to make sure is that your 2 batteries are the same in things like starting voltage per cell, capacity, cycles put on the packs, ect. If they are not in balance when you start charging them, or at least close, you could run into some real issues.

So for the charger you would set 6 cell lipo with a charge rate of 2.2A or less and a total capacity of 2200mAh.

If your connectors end up getting hot, or you want to charge fast than 3A, your setup could involve the second picture and be more complicated, depending on the specifics about that charger.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:53 AM
mrasmm

oh, a couple of other things I forgot. This balance adapter 1 x 6s to 2 x 3s is iMax compatible, which is the same as align esky eflite csrc and a slew of other ones. If you want to charge TP compatible packs with this adapter, you're gonna need a bunch of adapters to convert the wider spacing on the balance tap to the more narrow that TP uses (one for each battery pack and one for the balancing charger), either that, or add align compatible balance taps to your balancer and battery packs. If that is the case, I would see if you can find something similar that has TP compatible connectors.

Also I'm not familiar with that charger, so I don't know what kind of balance taps it uses, but if you are balance charging TP packs with it, then it's probably TP

here is the link to the product (edit the spaces out, the site wouldn't let me link directly to it, musta had some problems somewhere along the line)
http://www.hobbycity .com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=6569&Product_Name=Twin_pack_charge_lead_(2_x_3S)6S_

www.commonsenserc.com would sell all of the stuff to either make your own of one of these, or convert the align compatible taps to TP compatible.

good luck =)
Old 07-14-2008, 06:12 AM
kianhon

Ok thank you very much for the info, but I think is too complicated and most important of all; all my Lipos are different brand. I have spend enough money in this hobby, so I guess I rather spend more time in waiting then screwing something up to spent more money. Thank you for your time on explaining this, you may just saved me on doing something wrong and ruin my chargers and Lipos
Old 07-14-2008, 03:54 PM
mrasmm

sure, no prob. Yeah things can get complicated quick. A good investment might be a couple of those cellpro chargers. They don't run too much, and they do a great job charging packs.

good luck =)
Old 02-18-2009, 09:41 PM
mikekomm
My Feedback: (9)

We have many Bantam chargers that can charge and balance 2 or 3 packs at time.

http://www.commonsenserc.com/advance...ntam+e&x=0&y=0

Mike
www.CommonSenseRC.com