Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Destroyed TWO brand new Impluse Lipos !!

Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Destroyed TWO brand new Impluse Lipos !!

Old 07-19-2008, 09:39 AM
sthurman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Destroyed TWO brand new Impluse Lipos !!

Had a question for you guys. I recently destroyed two brand new Impluse Lipo 3 cell batteries that I bought from Hobby People [link=http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/182253.asp]battery[/link]. I guess when I was soldering the dean plug on to them I accidentally touched the two wires together ( only for a brief second). A costly mistake but one I was glad to learn early on in my hobby experience with only 3 cell lipos.

My question is this. Where can I get them repaired ? or can they ever be ? I have heard some people try to send them to the manufacture but I can't figure out who makes these batteries (did google search for "impluse" I also tried taking one apart to see if there were any visible fixes that I could do.

Thanks for your help, I'm still soooo pissed that I blew 100 bucks away on inexperience.

Shon
Old 07-19-2008, 04:10 PM
Snipin_Willy

Default RE: Destroyed TWO brand new Impluse Lipos !!

I highly doubt they can be repaired. Burning money like that will make you learn REALLY FAST what not to do again. best get some electrical tape over those loose connections while you solder the other one next time.
Old 07-19-2008, 06:00 PM
Dorsal
My Feedback: (17)

What makes you think the batteries are damaged? You say you "accidentally touched the two wires together ( only for a brief second)", but is that it? I mean, were they connected long enough to explode the batteries? Melt the leads? Burst into flames?
If the answer is "None of the Above" then what?
Old 07-19-2008, 10:48 PM
sthurman

That was the weird thing about it. I only touched the red and black together for about 1 second. Then I connected them to my brushless controller and I received no power at all. I thought that just touching them together for a brief second wouldn't short them out so fast.

Oh ya one more thing. Did I mention that I cut the red and the black coming from the battery to only 1 inch. I was trying to fit them in the glider better with less excess wire all over the place. I think maybe when soldering on the deans plugs a 1 inch wire is too close to the battery itself. I think that the wire got heated up too hot and back tracked into the battery and messed it up.

Anyway, I finally located the manufacture. It turns out they are here in California. I'm going to call them and see how much they charge for a repair. I will keep everyone posted if I get them fixed and they give me any info worth sharing.

I did go and buy two more new batteries, completed the glider and flew it this morning. I think I need a little bit bigger motor in it, it wasn't as fast as I thought it was going to be.

Sean
Old 07-20-2008, 11:03 AM
Snipin_Willy

ORIGINAL: sthurman
it wasn't as fast as I thought it was going to be.

Sean
Key word is "GLIDER"
Old 07-20-2008, 11:31 AM
Timdoggydizzle05

did you cut both of the wires at the same time.
that will do it...
Old 07-20-2008, 11:37 AM
Snipin_Willy

Cutting wires at the same time will short them, soldering leads that are only 1" long could heat the LiPo to a dangerous level, touching leads while trying to solder deans connectors...could be any of those or all of those put together.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:10 PM
G.W.
My Feedback: (22)

Put a voltmeter on them and see what they read. Could be your motor/esc set up, not the batteries. Have connected them to a charger? What does it tell you?
Old 07-23-2008, 04:22 PM
n19htmare
My Feedback: (1)

if the positive and negative touched together, you should have seen some sparks/burns..... anything?
Old 07-26-2008, 06:47 PM
sthurman

Yup they are dead !! I attached a volt meter and it read 0. They were fully charged before I messed them up. I think it was soldiering to close to the battery itself. Like I said I only had a one inch lead to the end of the wire while putting the deans plug on. I called Impluse and they don't offer a repair service or anything like that. I guess they are going in the recycle bin. I'm glad I learned this leason with some on sale batteries from my LHS instead of really really expensive ones.

Thanks for all your help guys.

PS. A guy at my LHS tried to bring them "back to life" with unsuccessful results.

Shon