Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

A123 Chargers and how they charge

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

A123 Chargers and how they charge

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 10:15 AM
craigteffe
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A123 Chargers and how they charge

Ihave a question reguarding the A123 chargers. I have recently purchased a bantam BC6 charger for my A123 packs and would like to know how the other chargers out there charge. What i mean here is when charging lipo cells the charger starts with a certain voltage and drops the current as it goes along untill the current is nill. This is how the Bantam does with my A123's, Is this how all the other chargers out there works? Or is it taking me longer to charge because of this.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:28 AM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: A123 Chargers and how they charge

Why not charge direct?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P_CeQM99ss

Charge rate of 16 to 20 amps, hold onto your ass!
Old 08-01-2008, 10:31 AM
TampaRCGuy
My Feedback: (282)

ORIGINAL: craigteffe

Ihave a question reguarding the A123 chargers. I have recently purchased a bantam BC6 charger for my A123 packs and would like to know how the other chargers out there charge. What i mean here is when charging lipo cells the charger starts with a certain voltage and drops the current as it goes along untill the current is nill. This is how the Bantam does with my A123's, Is this how all the other chargers out there works? Or is it taking me longer to charge because of this.
A123's charge the same as lipo's and li-ion cells using a CC/CV routine.

RC Accessory, Inc
Auth US Bantam Importer
Old 08-01-2008, 10:40 AM
Capt Lou

I bought a Cellpro4s complete with pre-wired connectors for my JR system. I plug the charger connector into battery connection on my JR switch, then, I connect my 12v DC power source. The charger automatically identifies the battery type (A123), gives you a read out of he battery capacity, and then begins to charge the battery pack. When the battery is charged, the battery gives an audible beep and then begins to balance the pack. Upon completion of the balance, the charger then gives several audible beeps to signify the pack is balanced. At the end of the charge, the charger tells you how many mah have been restored and the voltage. A real neat and easy to use charger.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:52 AM
jlkonn
My Feedback: (1)

Capt Lou,
Any chance you could share some pictures with us please?
JLK
Old 08-02-2008, 08:25 AM
Capt Lou

JLK:

I would be glad to share pictures with you but I don't have any, but what you seeking pictures of?
Old 08-02-2008, 08:27 AM
Capt Lou

JLK:

If you are looking for pictures of the Cellpro charger, go to www.sincityjets.com otherwise let me know what you want to see.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:23 PM
locitur
My Feedback: (1)

Capt Lou,

The CellPro 4s has as default the a123 battery, it does not automatically identify the battery type. If you want to charge Lipos, you must change the setting. It will stay once turned off in the same setting of the last charge.