Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

NIMH VS. LIPO

I was about to buy some Lipos and my dad refused to let me blow more money on Lipos rather than buying Nimh which are cheaper, he thinks that Nimh are just as efficient in every single way, except for the fact they are heavier, i disagree. He will not let me buy the lipos until other hobbyists have testified that lipos are much better than Nimh. So, please state your opinion here. Are lipos better? How? Do the two batteries types have the same performance?

Thanks,

PS: All opinions, no matter which side you favor are appreciated.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    OFNA Picco Buggy
    Traxxas Slash (Bash\'\'n Slash) - Modified for Beach Blastin\'\'
    Traxxas Slash (Racin\'\' Slash) - Stock

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    OFNA Picco Buggy

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: NIMH VS. LIPO

Three years ago I made the decision to purchase lipos because after much time spent looking at specs and playing with programs like motocalc, I came to the same realization that everyone else eventually comes to: you need the higher voltages and lighter weights of lipos to get good performance.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

lipos are better in every way performance wise. They last twice to three times as long and they have more constant power for longer. of you look at a discharge graph of a lipo it runs longer and more steady at a higher voltage. nimh immeadiately head downward on the graph.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I don't know what your battery application is but if it is for a receiver, look at the A123 batery technology. It is much superior than nimh and safer than lipo's. There is an A123racing thread on RCU and look at www.sincityjets.com for more info. These are the only batteries that I will now use in my planes.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I only just recently within the last 6 months converted all my RC's, accessories, and their radios to LiPo from NiCad to NIMH, and I am never going back, the advantage is clear, the thing I like the most is how light they are, I can gain performance in something on just the weight reduction alone.

As long as you don't do something silly with them they are extremely safe, I haven't had any problems yet.

I am 100% for lipo, no questions.
    Race on Saturday, fly on Sunday.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: RevToTheRedline

As long as you don't do something silly with them they are extremely safe, I haven't had any problems yet.
    Yes, the lipo sacks they sell for the "exploding lipos" is only really needed if you buy no-name lipos and charge above 1C....Of course any lipo you charge above 1C is dangerous!!!! They are only dangerous if you do something silly. Guns are the safest thing on earth as long as they are used properly!
    OFNA Picco Buggy

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: VVRC

ORIGINAL: RevToTheRedline

Yes, the lipo sacks they sell for the "exploding lipos" is only really needed if you buy no-name lipos and charge above 1C....Of course any lipo you charge above 1C is dangerous!!!! They are only dangerous if you do something silly. Guns are the safest thing on earth as long as they are used properly!
    Charging any lipo above 1C is dangerous...UNLESS you have a Cellpro charger!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm a beginning racer/RC guy - started w/ my son doing 18th scale in Dec. 07. Now, we race B4 buggies and 10th scale cars. As for the 10th scale cars, I run NiMH packs and give up 100 grams to the guys with Lipo. They also have more out-of-corner punch and a bit more power at the end of a race than my NiMH. So, I say for on-road at club events, LiPo is a winner (nobody runs A123 but would be a possible benefit too). Now for B4 racing, at our local track, the fastest racer runs NiMH batteries - he runs a Mamba motor and drives well. Other guys run LiPo but off-road, seems like NiMh can keep up - since skill can beat battery unless you're really experienced or have a really large track which needs the extra power (the power output or "20C" rating of the LiPo). So, for example, if 4500mAh NiMH output at 10C - that's 45A output. If a 3800mAh LiPo output at 20C - that's 76A of continuous power. That's good for long straits and trying to add a bit more performance.

Benefits to NiMH - possibly lower cost overall but you need to watch for bad cells in packs and replace individual cells or whole packs if they lose a cell. Benefits to LiPo - power output, low weight, the new performance standard for most racing. LiPo problems - you need to be careful when charging. You need to know that LiPo can be "destroyed" if you go below their low-end voltage or if you overcharge and puff them up in size. So, NiMh can be salvaged if a cell goes bad but a LiPo pack may be deemed "done" if one goes bad there. NiMh pack new - about $30-50. LiPo pack new up to $100 for really good ones, even higher for on-road hard packs.

I'm going to keep with NiMh this season and into next until my son and I get better at our driving skills. Until we really need that added performance and drop in weight - we will hold off from going LiPo. A change to LiPo will mean - new packs for two sets of cars, two new chargers, unloading old chargers and packs on eBay, etc.

There really is "nothing wrong" from a realistic point of view in staying with NiMh if cost is an issue. Listen to your parents - if they really feel cost is an issue, respect that. Parents know when to put a hold on expenses especially if it's something that doesn't offer a huge benefit to you. If you are top-level racer who needs the LiPo packs, that's one thing. If it's just to get "the latest and greatest" - then it may be true that the change to LiPo isn't really the right decision at this time. You can have a ton of fun with RC cars without upgrading to LiPo.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: jmcvicker

I'm a beginning racer/RC guy - started w/ my son doing 18th scale in Dec. 07. Now, we race B4 buggies and 10th scale cars. As for the 10th scale cars, I run NiMH packs and give up 100 grams to the guys with Lipo. They also have more out-of-corner punch and a bit more power at the end of a race than my NiMH. So, I say for on-road at club events, LiPo is a winner (nobody runs A123 but would be a possible benefit too). Now for B4 racing, at our local track, the fastest racer runs NiMH batteries - he runs a Mamba motor and drives well. Other guys run LiPo but off-road, seems like NiMh can keep up - since skill can beat battery unless you're really experienced or have a really large track which needs the extra power (the power output or "20C" rating of the LiPo). So, for example, if 4500mAh NiMH output at 10C - that's 45A output. If a 3800mAh LiPo output at 20C - that's 76A of continuous power. That's good for long straits and trying to add a bit more performance.

Benefits to NiMH - possibly lower cost overall but you need to watch for bad cells in packs and replace individual cells or whole packs if they lose a cell. Benefits to LiPo - power output, low weight, the new performance standard for most racing. LiPo problems - you need to be careful when charging. You need to know that LiPo can be "destroyed" if you go below their low-end voltage or if you overcharge and puff them up in size. So, NiMh can be salvaged if a cell goes bad but a LiPo pack may be deemed "done" if one goes bad there. NiMh pack new - about $30-50. LiPo pack new up to $100 for really good ones, even higher for on-road hard packs.

I'm going to keep with NiMh this season and into next until my son and I get better at our driving skills. Until we really need that added performance and drop in weight - we will hold off from going LiPo. A change to LiPo will mean - new packs for two sets of cars, two new chargers, unloading old chargers and packs on eBay, etc.

There really is "nothing wrong" from a realistic point of view in staying with NiMh if cost is an issue. Listen to your parents - if they really feel cost is an issue, respect that. Parents know when to put a hold on expenses especially if it's something that doesn't offer a huge benefit to you. If you are top-level racer who needs the LiPo packs, that's one thing. If it's just to get "the latest and greatest" - then it may be true that the change to LiPo isn't really the right decision at this time. You can have a ton of fun with RC cars without upgrading to LiPo.
    so true, but if you are going to buy a new charger, be sure to get one that can do lipo, just in case

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

NIMH POSITIVES...In a 5 min race, a good NIMH battery can perform similarly to a LIPO with the same mah. The initial cost is lower.
    LIPO POSITIVES...Runtime. I get nearly 30min with a 5000mah and 45min with an 8000mah.
    Chargability. You can run, recharge, run, recharge over and over again. No need to wait 3hrs or longer for the cells to completely cool.
    Battery life. I've heard (but dont know for a fact) you get more cycles out of lipo cells than you do nimh cells.
    LIPO IS THE WAY TO GO BECAUSE....Lipos are actually cheaper than Nimh if you compare cost of battery/run time.
    They are so much more fun and that's what this hobby is about.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The A123 battery technology seems really good - just a bit lower voltage and fast charging compared to LiPo and NiMH. I wish they'd come up with a 7.2/7.4 setup (yeah, I know they have a voltage regulator for their 3S configurations. I'd move to A123 (LiFePo) vs. NiMh & LiPo if it were sized a bit smaller and had a bit higher voltage.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Lipo's have faster acceleration than nimh do, but the speed is pretty much the same. Personally, i would go with Nimh if your looking to buy a high capacity battery. They are a lot safer and cheaper than lipos are. I recently misused my lipo and resulted in fire. Lipo's are almost twice the price of nimhs, to me, its not worth it. The Dynamite Nimh batteries are just as good as other lipos, and theyre cheap. 7.4v 4600mah power racing pack is like 50$. anyway, your dad has a point. If you want tremendous power and performance, go with nitro power.
    ORIGINAL: djangomangalam

I was about to buy some Lipos and my dad refused to let me blow more money on Lipos rather than buying Nimh which are cheaper, he thinks that Nimh are just as efficient in every single way, except for the fact they are heavier, i disagree. He will not let me buy the lipos until other hobbyists have testified that lipos are much better than Nimh. So, please state your opinion here. Are lipos better? How? Do the two batteries types have the same performance?

Thanks,

PS: All opinions, no matter which side you favor are appreciated.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

-lipo vs nimh
    weight - 0.132wh/gram vs 0.06wh/gram
    charge eff. - >99% vs 70%
    charge time. - 20min vs 1.5 h
    discharge. - 40c vs 10c
    internal resitance. - very low vs medium
    life cycle. - 100-500 vs 50-200.(hard discharge)
    performance - awesome vs [&o]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hobbypartz.com is selling Blue Lipo batteries at really cheap price.
    5000mah 7.2v 25c for just 30$.
    nimh 7.4v 4000mah is like 25$
    Awesome prices