Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Shorting out a Lipo

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 12:01 PM
Hordsak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shorting out a Lipo

Out of curiosity, how does shorting out a Lipo or LiMn battery kill it immediately? I've shorted out lots of other types of batteries (however, only very momentarily) and they've been fine. What is it about these types of batteries that destroys them?
Old 09-26-2008, 03:35 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Shorting out a Lipo

It depends on how long the short lasted. If it were only microseconds, probably no harm. If long enough to heat up the interconnecting wires (those connections between cells) it may have reduced their cross sectional area by partial melting or deformation or even burned them in two where of course you now have no voltage reading. It is all a matter of internal heating, if the short lasted long enough to do internal damage with heat, there will be degradation if not total failure. It also depends on how you shorted it, if across one of the balance leads, it may burn out only that lead and not seriously hurt the rest of the battery.
Old 09-27-2008, 01:54 AM
freeair

i think you must stop this habit of shorting out batteries. think its called ; undue care and attention.
Old 09-27-2008, 02:08 AM
Hordsak

Lol, the batteries I've ever shorted out, I did 100% on purpose. I've never accidentally shorted out any battery. I'm very careful when I solder any connectors on any batteries. When I was talking shorting out batteries, I was talking about AA's and C cells etc when I was a kid. I would never short out any battery these days.