Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Recommend a field LiPo charger

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 06:52 AM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Recommend a field LiPo charger

I occasionally need to charge up to four LiPo's (4200mah is the biggest) at the field.

Whereas I don't use this all the time (and already have a NiCad charger for Tx and Rx) what's out there for a reasonably priced LiPo charger in a compact size? I don't want to buy on the cheap, but I don't need a zillion features when all I want to do is to charge the occasional LiPo battery.

I already have a Graupner "Does Everything" charger for home use.

Thanks,

Bob

Old 10-18-2008, 07:46 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Recommend a field LiPo charger

ORIGINAL: N1EDM

I occasionally need to charge up to four LiPo's (4200mah is the biggest) at the field.

Whereas I don't use this all the time (and already have a NiCad charger for Tx and Rx) what's out there for a reasonably priced LiPo charger in a compact size? I don't want to buy on the cheap, but I don't need a zillion features when all I want to do is to charge the occasional LiPo battery.

I already have a Graupner "Does Everything" charger for home use.

Thanks,

Bob

FMA CellPro 4S are on sale right now. A great LiPo/A123 charger at $49.95.
http://www.fmadirect.com/products.htm?cat=45&nid=4

Old 10-18-2008, 08:05 AM
rjbarthel

I just picked up one of these Turnigy Accucell -6 chargers and I like it . It also came with most all commonly used conectors for charging. from www.Hobbycity.com
Old 10-18-2008, 07:52 PM
N1EDM

Hi Red,

It looks like the FMA balances the cells individually, and I have to buy the two $10 adapters for them, is that the case? It'd still be pretty inexpensive... and only another $20 if I want to hook it up to a PC via USB.

RJBARTHEL,

I looked at that unit and was a bit concerned about some issues some people are having with it... such as the cooling fan not starting easily, etc... has that been your experience? Would you buy another one if you needed it??

Thanks for the suggestions, guys...

Bob
Old 10-18-2008, 08:39 PM
rjbarthel

Ive only had mine for a couple month now . As of now I cant say a thing bad about it at all . I like the small size too. It fits easy into my flight box . Id buy another and I did see the reports from a few others . But I figured guys that had a bad one are more apt to write a review and all the others that had a good one are less likely to write . Anyway I like mine .
Old 10-24-2008, 02:55 PM
crnook

I use a thunderpower TP-610C. Great charger.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:11 PM
N1EDM

Thanks for the hint, crnook... I'm looking for something inexpensive that I can use occasionally at the field. I have a pretty good charger already... I just wanted another basic charger that I could stuff into the Field box...

It looks like a nice charger though. Folks on RCGroups were saying nice things about it.

Thanks,

Bob
Old 10-25-2008, 06:47 AM
Jack Skip

I can also attest to Thunder Power RC having great customer service.

They are sending me the original software after I made a mistake in downloading software for their larger 1010 model to my TP610c.

I have only used the unit a few times but like it very much. It also charges all current chemistries so if you later want to drift into A123 batteries you have the charger. Or need to boost you radio batteries.

I will be using mine to field charge NiMH flight packs for a big gas plane. Nice compact unit fits in my radio case. When I replace my flight packs it will be with A123 batteries so I am ready.
Old 10-25-2008, 04:23 PM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

I bought an FMACellpro 4s and found its a perfect plug-n-play charger.I started flying 3D planes last year and was initially using my trition but toward the end of the charge the trition can take a long time! the FMA is cool.you charge it using the banace tap and it immediately reads the amount left detects how many cells and automatically starts a charge up to 95 percent and then balances the pack.yes you buy two extensions and thats good as it accomodate nearly 90 percent of all the lipos out there.In my gase I tend to stick with thunder power and avoid many of the cheap chineese brands.thunder power makes one similiar as do several others.for me I couldnt be bothered with a separte balancer.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:48 PM
N1EDM

Thanks, Clouddancer... I'm starting to lean in that direction... But, I'm still curious about what's out there.

The way I see it, the CellPro runs about $50 and each of the two adapters runs another $10... not too bad. I could even make that my stay-at-home charger and use my Graupner in the Field.

Thanks,

Bob
Old 10-25-2008, 09:02 PM
SU29
My Feedback: (20)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the 4s charger and it will not let you down. If fact, if you have the need to charge 2 batteries at the same time you could buy two of them. They are simple to use and very small in size, great for the field box as well as at home.

There are a lot of chargers out there that will do the job so good luck with your search.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:29 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The CellPro4 at 50 bucks
is the killer setup -price-features nothing touches it.
I use 2 1100 A123 cells in my 40cc ZDZ powered CAP
these use 150 ma MAX per flite and recharge in a few minutes .
The charger will also do 4 2300 A123 for a 40% model in 15 minutes (two ,2 cell packs thru a homemade parallel to series adapter)
or Lipos
such a deal !
The on board display keeps you up to date on ANY cell problem (of which we have had NONE)
Old 10-26-2008, 07:37 AM
N1EDM

Thanks for the response... But, not to get too far away from things, my basic need is for a small charger (i.e., cheap) that will charge a 4S 4200 mAh Lipo at the field. I have a Graupner for at-home charging. Just wanted something basic to re-charge the LiPo's at the field. I already have a charger for the Tx/Rx.

Keep those ideas coming...

Thanks,

Bob
Old 10-26-2008, 09:09 PM
Panzlflyer
My Feedback: (15)

Turnigy I have works well as does my buddies.
I have other high dollar chargers as wel but this is cheap and I wont freak if it goes missingl.

Remember its a 50watt charger.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:21 PM
N1EDM

I just put the Turnigy Acucel 6 on order. I think that it was what fitted my needs closest. It'll be a one-piece cheap charger for use at the Field once in a while. If the fan goes kaput on me, I can deal with that easily enough. For the $53 (includes shipping), it was worth taking a risk.

I was really torn between this and the nice FMA CellPro 4S. But, I really don't need balancing at the field if I'm only going to charge there occasionally. I think I might get the FMA in a few months to replace my SuperNova 250 and leave that at the house where I can do cycling, etc. Then I can use the adapter boards and not worry about leaving those at the Field. The ThunderTiger and other units also looked pretty good too!.

Thanks for your input, guys!

Bob
Old 10-29-2008, 09:35 AM
Panzlflyer

Turnigy has a built in balancer and uses Eflight style connectors so you got both ways.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:16 PM
N1EDM

It's one thing to see specs on a web page and quite another to hold it in your hand. It'll be interesting to see what this bugger looks like in real life. My main use will be to charge a ThunderPower 15C 4S 4200 mAh battery. I hope that one of those balancing jacks fits the TP pack.

As I noted in an earlier post, the FMA was my first choice but by the time I got through with the add-on boards, etc., it started to become something with too many pieces to cart to the field for an occasional charge. I think I'll still get one in the near future and use it here at the house instead... I have only heard good things about FMA. I don't have any of their chargers but have bought some of their other goodies..

Bob
Old 11-01-2008, 07:20 AM
N1EDM

My Turnigy Accucell-6 arrived yesterday. First impressions are that it is a solidly made unit. I'll open it up and check for loose connections, etc.

It didn't have a manual included. I've downloaded one from the Internet, but was just curious if anyone else had received a manual with theirs? There
s a lot in this charger - the manual is a 'must'.

I need to make some custom input and output cables. The supplied input cable uses just an alligator clip. I want something a little larger for wrapping around an auto battery terminal. The unit came with a fistfull of output cables for different types of battery hookups, but I have to make one for my Sermos cables (can't expect them to have everything - not their fault). If it works as advertised, I'll be pleased.

Does Anyone have any discussion on this or advice to help me get started???? Has anyone used this to charge/equalize ThunderPower batteries? Their equalizer plug is not one of the standard types.

That FMA is looking better and better for home use...

Bob
Old 11-13-2008, 11:47 PM
Todd450

sure would like to here more about the turnigy accucell
Old 11-14-2008, 12:24 AM
N1EDM

I can't say that I've really used it yet. I tried to charge some cells using the balancing jack but apparently I have something mis-set. I printed out the manual, about 21+ pages. It isn't the kind of menu that you can easily figure out without the manual. When I get to playing with it, I'll let you know what happens...

Bob
Old 11-14-2008, 09:23 AM
Panzlflyer

equalizer plug is not one of the standard types.
Eflight,Align, Zippy, Dualsky etc all use the same plugs as the Accucell.

Like the Bantam you have to connect the main leads and balance leads to charge (looks like they copied the Bantam menu as well)
Old 11-30-2008, 08:33 PM
Stick 40

I had the thunder power tp 610 c with the built in balancer, but the display died and I sent it in. When they agreed to replace it under warenty I exchanged it for the thunder power tp 1010 with the tp 210 balancer. Its expensive but I can do a lot with it. But the 610 is a good charger.

sticks
Old 11-30-2008, 10:12 PM
N1EDM

Thanks, Stik. I had my eye on the 1010 too... what I was trying to find in this thread was suggestions for a small, simple, reliable, cheap LiPo charger that can be tossed into the field box without a lot of worry.

I still might upgrade my home charger, so I'll keep the 1010 in mind.

Thanks,

Bob