Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Venom Pro Charger question

Old 12-08-2008, 09:39 PM
06sportster
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Venom Pro Charger question

I just got a AC/DC Venom Pro Charger and have tried it out on my two batteries. I just want to make sure I have it setup correct, I do not want to hurt my lipos. I have 2 Tenergy 10c 900 mah 2 cell packs for my CX-2. I set the charger for 2 cells (7.4v) with a max capacity of 900 mah and charging at .9amps. It took about 55 minuets to charge one, by the time it was done charging it was down to .0amps, it showed 8.4v, and 738 mah.

Are those number along the correct norm for charging? I found the manuel that came with it very vague, it was maily just alot of warnings and the menu try for the charger.

Other than that I am happy with it so far.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:53 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: Venom Pro Charger question

I have the same charger; the manual is total crap, and I have no idea how to set the peaks, etc.

Any advice anyone has on this charger is really appreciated.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:37 PM
06sportster
My Feedback: (7)

Any charger gurus out there?
Old 12-10-2008, 08:30 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

06, one thing I did (but haven't have the time to follow through with) was download the manuals for other chargers (like ICE and Triton) from Tower's website. Maybe by reading through those manuals (we) can learn something about the Venom charger.

Other than not knowing how to use it, it's been great![sm=bananahead.gif]
Old 01-27-2009, 12:32 AM
Aarock
My Feedback: (1)

im with you guys the manual is total crap and dont bother going to the vemon site. youll find nothing but time wasted. i like the charger so far but after 6 lipo charges my lcd screeen went caput on me. the guys at my l.h.s. took care of me and geve me a new one. now i ran 3, 3 cell lipos and a nimh 5 cell 1600 on a charge a day later and no problems yet. but buyer beware the fan had a buzz like something was loose on the second round but went away after a 20 min. keep your recipit. jik. other than that i love it. deffinately need some help on setup. anyone pleeeeze help on dpeak and what was stated earlier on this thread
Old 01-27-2009, 01:10 AM
Aarock

i think we been had... look at the price of this one. but thats not the reason for this post it has the same basic setup menu at a third of the price but this manual is a bit more helpful... have a look. http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...ads/manual.pdf
Old 01-27-2009, 06:45 AM
moogly

yes those number are correct the charger will start at .9a or what ever you have it set to and slow go down as you battery charges and the voltage goes up and end at 0 showing 700mah or whatever it put into the pack. are you using the balancer if so while you are charging you can switch between the charge rat and the cell voltage by pressing the increase button you can watch the cell volts go up and the amp output go down hope this helps?
I have had 2 the 1st one the screen went out after a month or so and I bought another .
there all coming out of the same place look at E-Flites or the dx6 there all the same
Old 02-05-2009, 04:40 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

I'm quite familiar with many chargers , but I gotta say this one is rather Uhh , well lets just say it's user interface and mine are very different. I was going to unload this sily thing, but will give it some time and charges to see if it gets easier. I'm sure it will.

No luck on the pc interface , it is worthless. [:@]
Old 02-05-2009, 07:34 PM
moogly

Old 02-05-2009, 07:37 PM
moogly

ORIGINAL: 06sportster

I just got a AC/DC Venom Pro Charger and have tried it out on my two batteries. I just want to make sure I have it setup correct, I do not want to hurt my lipos. I have 2 Tenergy 10c 900 mah 2 cell packs for my CX-2. I set the charger for 2 cells (7.4v) with a max capacity of 900 mah and charging at .9amps. It took about 55 minuets to charge one, by the time it was done charging it was down to .0amps, it showed 8.4v, and 738 mah.

Are those number along the correct norm for charging? I found the manuel that came with it very vague, it was maily just alot of warnings and the menu try for the charger.

Other than that I am happy with it so far.
Yes the batt took 738 mah and was at 8.4V thats where it should be the charging rate should be at 0 because its fully charged
Old 02-05-2009, 07:40 PM
moogly

ORIGINAL: Aarock

i think we been had... look at the price of this one. but thats not the reason for this post it has the same basic setup menu at a third of the price but this manual is a bit more helpful... have a look. http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...ads/manual.pdf
Ya inside its the same chip set just a different layout and everything through UH is cheaper thats why I buy all my Batts. from them.
Old 03-07-2009, 12:15 AM
Aarock

thanks for the help... now i have a new question. im charging 3 cell 11.1v lipos. and with or without the ballance block they will only charge to 3.17 to 3.19 not 4.2 ive tried to turn off the capacity cutoff. and the same effect. is this just the result of a cheap charger or what. im so lost ive tried every witch way and i get the same result. any ideas
Old 03-07-2009, 01:19 AM
moogly

How old are your batterys? what brand? Some will only take so much after a while ( so many cycles)
I have a couple that just won't go to 4.20 there not old but they have had a lot of use. Sometimes doing a discharge and and then a slow charge .5C will help
In fact I just gat a Maxpro x6 and it won't bring them up to 4.20 ether (crap charger to I think )[:@] now I'm ordering a xtrema at least i'll get some suport
Old 03-23-2009, 09:48 PM
Aarock

i have a elf. 800mah 11.1 8months old, a xcite 1000mah 4months old, and a ace power 1050mah less than a month old. they all do the same thing. i starting to wonder if this this is false peak detecting. not quite shure. i dont know anyone to try on their charger to see if i get the same effect.
Old 06-14-2009, 05:02 PM
ff_rc

This is a problem related to the bad quality of the charger, I bough one and for all my 3 cell lipos the first cell is always below the other 2 cells.
When I use my "old cheap" lipo charger it balances them correclty.
The screen on the venon will show that all cells are at 4.20, however when testing using a fluke voltimeter it shows 4.16, 4.19, 4.20
It's just bad quality product.

Old 06-14-2009, 05:15 PM
moogly

They are when there on the charger but as soon as you stop charging they will drop down to a nominal point which is what your reading with you meter .
Mine does the same thing and I have 3 chargers the Venom,Xtrema and a bantam BC10-6
Old 06-14-2009, 07:44 PM
guver

I think you  must have the wrong setting. Make sure is lipo (4.2 volts termination)
Old 06-15-2009, 12:14 AM
ff_rc

4.2 volts termination?
Are you talking about the Venon Pro Charger?

There is no option to set 4.2 termination... you can only select from LIPO LIFE LION, 3.7, 3.3 or 3.6...

Am I missing something or do you know of some special trick?
If you do please post. ;-)
Thanks.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:30 AM
guver

Ok, when talking about nominal voltage it is 3.7 lipo which stops at 4.2 volts.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:04 PM
ff_rc

Yep!!!
I have it set correctly for 3.7 = LiPo.
As I've read on many forums this is simply a cheap Chinese charger = imax b6 = ~50.00 US

http://www.virtualhobbyshops.com/pro...roducts_id=339

I really regret that I didn't do my homework before purchasing.
It's better to stay away from it, or just to buy it's cheap brother.

Old 06-15-2009, 05:32 PM
guver

ORIGINAL: guver

I think you must have the wrong setting. Make sure is lipo (4.2 volts termination)
This response was for Aarock
Old 09-20-2010, 10:34 AM
lordraptor1
My Feedback: (4)

i want to know from everyone using this charger if the power switch works in reverse when running off of a 12 volt battery as opposed to running off of the venom 12v psu.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:30 PM
Jefferson1964

man i found this thread to late.......i ordered the venom charger and it is just the imax...darn....i guess i could send it back to THobbies....but for $89 its not to bad a deal especially when you have to pay shipping for the imax charger from overseas....its about the same price.....well u get what you pay for i guess, you go cheap you get cheap
Old 05-18-2011, 05:27 PM
Jefferson1964

anyone want a very cheap priced lipo charger the Imax b6 is $30+- with free shipping....my friend in houston said he has one and for the price it works good...unfortunately i bought the rebranded Venom for $89....

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/imax-b6...-us-plug-35190