Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

What Size 4.8V RX Pack?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 12:58 PM
SpinnerRow

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What Size 4.8V RX Pack?

I've been looking at NiMH packs for my Das Little Stick R/C plane project at Radical RC's site and was wondering if I would need either the 1000mah (4 AAA cells) or the 1650mah (4 AA cells) pack. I'll have five servos, four Hitech Mighty Mini HS225s and one micro HS81. I'd like to keep it as light as possible but at the same time I don't want to fly it 3-4 times and have to recharge. Do you think I could get five or six 7-9 minute flights out of it?

Thanks!
Old 01-08-2009, 01:39 PM
rstearman
My Feedback: (185)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What Size 4.8V RX Pack?

Go to http://hangtimes.com/ and read up on cell impedance rating, self discharge and so on. I prefer Nicads over NiMH because they last longer(shelf life), less self discharge, take more abuse, and lower cell impedance. I would also make sure the pack you buy has matched sanyo cells. I have had great success with Futaba , JR, and Hangtimes Packs.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:16 PM
SpinnerRow

ORIGINAL: rstearman

Go to http://hangtimes.com/ and read up on cell impedance rating, self discharge and so on. I prefer Nicads over NiMH because they last longer(shelf life), less self discharge, take more abuse, and lower cell impedance. I would also make sure the pack you buy has matched sanyo cells. I have had great success with Futaba , JR, and Hangtimes Packs.
What size packs then?
Old 01-09-2009, 08:07 AM
Clay Walters

I've had good luck with these folks - www.batteriesamerica.com. (Just place a new order for the same thing this morning!)

Scroll down the left side on the main page and select RC Hobby, and then Battery Packs. I've been getting the NIMH with Sanyo cell packs. They also carry the newer Eneloop packs which I'll probably get for the next TX battery myself.

They were nice folks to deal with last time so I decided to try them again today,

Clay
Old 01-09-2009, 09:39 AM
SpinnerRow

ORIGINAL: Clay Walters

I've had good luck with these folks - www.batteriesamerica.com. (Just place a new order for the same thing this morning!)

Scroll down the left side on the main page and select RC Hobby, and then Battery Packs. I've been getting the NIMH with Sanyo cell packs. They also carry the newer Eneloop packs which I'll probably get for the next TX battery myself.

They were nice folks to deal with last time so I decided to try them again today,

Clay
What size packs then?
Old 01-09-2009, 11:01 AM
Clay Walters

How long is a rope?

Sorry, but that is the kind of question you are asking.

Still, given the short duration of the flights you pose I imagine 1600mah - 2500mah size packs will meet your needs.

Another thing to consider is what options you have available for charging/forming, etc. Just starting with NIMH packs myself but some folks would suggest NICD's are more durable. I can't tell any difference myself. I ordered the 2500mah packs but don't have enough experience with them to know how well they hold up. I do know my new charger permits me to set the charge rates, minimum voltage, discharge rates, etc. for this size pack. The little wallwart that came with my transmitters is too small for this size pack to be very useful.

If you fly often I'd say NIMH or NICD are fine - you use them the same. If you charge but fly at long intervals apart, look at the new ENELOOP pacs. They retain their charge a long time and might be of benefit for that.

Heck, its just a battery pack and the cost is not prohibitive. Try one and find out how it works for you and then let us know!

Regards,

Clay
Old 01-09-2009, 11:16 AM
SpinnerRow

Good points. I may get one of the 1000mah AAA packs and maybe a 2500mah AA pack and give them a try. Not sure yet if I'll need the weight to get the CG right yet or not.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:45 AM
hitecrcman
Banned

Make your own battery packs and SAVE.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:50 PM
SpinnerRow

I've actually thought about doing that. I've been soldering for close to 40 years now and I have about 7-8 irons of varying sizes so I should be good. I just need to find the right site that has the supplies to do it.