Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Charging - Two batteries and two switches

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Charging - Two batteries and two switches

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 02:32 AM
T-ster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charging - Two batteries and two switches

I just purchased some of the A123 2300 mah packs. On my 33% planes I have two of the battery packs, each to it's own switch, plugging into the reciever in different slots. Do I need to disconnect one of the batteries while charging the other? (I'm using a CellPro Multi4.) I read somewhere about a common ground causing a problem.

Thanks.
Old 02-14-2009, 04:31 PM
everydayflyer

Default RE: Charging - Two batteries and two switches

That can get complicated. Using the Cell Pro 4 if you charge one using the balancing lead (you really have no choice) and both swithes in in a position(s) wher both batteries are connected power leads wise both will charge. One through the balancing leads and the other thrugh the power leads. You could use a Y-harness and charge both in paralle through the balancing leads at thre same time. To charge in parallel (either way ) they need to be close to the same voltage which they will be if they were both switched on during the flight.

Charles
Old 02-14-2009, 04:34 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: everydayflyer

That can get complicated. Using the Cell Pro 4 if you charge one using the balancing lead (you really have no choice) and both swithes in in a position(s) wher both batteries are connected power leads wise both will charge. One through the balancing leads and the other thrugh the power leads. You could use a Y-harness and charge both in paralle through the balancing leads at thre same time. To charge in parallel (either way ) they need to be close to the same voltage which they will be if they were both switched on during the flight.

Charles

He is using the CellPro Multi 4. You don't need to use the balancing port if balancing is not wanted. That gives the option of charge with balance or just charge.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:08 AM
T-ster

Interesting, I never realized this would be an issue. (I am charging through the balance plug.) I guess the easiest way is to unplug one of the batteries from one of the switches during charging to keep this from ocurring?

Thanks.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:40 PM
rcpete347
My Feedback: (251)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HI, I always install a separate switch on the ground, so I can charge and discharge separately.
Rcpete
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd93059.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	1165640