Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Turnigy Accucel-6 50W 5A Balancer/Charger

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Turnigy Accucel-6 50W 5A Balancer/Charger

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 12:47 PM
FoxAdriano

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Turnigy Accucel-6 50W 5A Balancer/Charger

The last question please:  with Balance Charging I have just charged the LiPo battery. During the charge I have seen 16.6v instead of 14.8. Why please?
Thanks a lot
Old 05-20-2009, 01:53 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They always go over the rated voltage, no matter what charger. My 3 Cell packs-11.1 volts, always charge to over 12+ volts. Usually about 4.1 volts per cell. Take that 4.1x4cells and you have 16.4 volts.

After the charger beeps and says it's done, you can hit the right arrow button ( I think) and it will display the voltage of each cell.

Old 05-20-2009, 03:26 PM
rsieminski

How does this compare to the Tritons EQ? I really need help choosing a charger from Hobby City. Will the Turnigy Accucel-6 50W 5A Balancer/Charger cycle batteries also? I see that it'll discharge them, but don't see if it'll cycle them? How about the bigger Turnigy Accucel 8? Is it better, more features?
Old 05-20-2009, 03:37 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

I've heard that the discharger doesn't work so well. I've never tried it. I bought this charger when I converted over to A123 batteries. I looked at the Triton EQ but then found this one. I bought two of these for under $80. Look at all the charge leads you get also. Quite a value.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:51 PM
rsieminski

MrBigg,
Did you see the other chargers they sell? Is the Turngy batter than the others? I'd rather pay a little bit extra now, than have to get another down the road, or wish I had another. Out of the Turnigy, iMax, iCharger, GT, etc, is this the best of the bunch?
Old 06-19-2009, 08:43 AM
taildragger21
My Feedback: (197)

tHEY ALL PRETTY MUCH HAVE THE SAME PROGRAMING.I bought my first one from fusion pack called the,"x" charger and is the same as the turnigy and the imax b6. I just bought abouther turnigy accucell 6 as well. Like they say for the value you cant go wrong..
Old 08-08-2009, 09:03 AM
kmtranmd
My Feedback: (71)

How do you guys charge the A123 (aka lithium nanophosphate) batteries with the Accucel-6 charger? There is no Li Phos mode on this charger. You're not supposed to use the Li Ion or Li Poly mode for the A123 battery.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:34 AM
taildragger21
My Feedback: (197)

Go to the,"user set program screen" and push enter. Select LIFE 3.3volts.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:34 PM
hydroboy
My Feedback: (1)

Hey all, I'm a total dunderhead when it comes to batteries so I thought I'd ask a few questions, I just purchased the Accucell 6 charger and am still working my way through figuring out the option navigating and have sort of figured it out. By the way I'm only using NiMH packs so far.

When discharging you have the option of changing the Amperage and the Voltage, I've often thought that slower or less was better for the "A" amps. And have been told to take the voltage down to .9v per cell. If there are 5cells that are 1.2v per in a 1600mAh RX pack then would I want to discharge to 4.5v on the pack?
My thinking is that the pack at full charge would show 6.0v.
While discharging the Accucell showed ~790 in the lower right hand with the pack voltage at 4.5v in the upper right. Is the 790 how many mAh have been discharged? Do I want to take this lower for a 1600mAh pack?
Old 08-18-2009, 04:03 PM
zoli818

I got the big brother accucell 8150 and its working good so far i tested allot functions , with my wattup meter connected to it, almot same readings..
 NOW i noticed the dang FAn isnt moving so  , is it temp cut in? or just sposta run alll the time??   fed ex drope dit off 5min ago , hoobycity is closed for now cant ask them yet
Old 11-10-2009, 05:19 PM
raagesen

Hi there
After searching around, I found this forum.
I few days ago I ordered a Turnigy Accucel-6 charger, it will take a few days before I receive it,
and in the mantime I've actually downloaded, and read the manual.
I read something that interested me, and was wondering if someone had any experience with this:

"You can select the function of 3-pin port at left
side of the unit.It can be used temperature
sensor port or USB port, selected at this
screen. If the port is assigned as a temp. port,
an optional temperature probe contacting the
surface of battery can be used. When it is
selected as an USB port, you can link the
charger to your PC via an optional USB cable.
This can utilize the optional software that can
show you the charge process at PC."

Acording to this, I can connect the chargr to my computer, but searching around, I can't find any software or cable to use!

Anyone tried this.

Regards
Rune
Old 07-05-2010, 05:51 PM
W.P. Hurst

Do you know how to calibrate the voltage? I can not remember. First check the battery with a meter,then you set the charger by pressing a combo of buttons?
Old 08-24-2010, 07:54 AM
TimBle

its a simple process.

Power down the charger.

hold down the enter/start and one of the status buttons simultaneously. now power up the charger. It will boot up and display "Turnigy"
it will now enter the calibrate menu.

Now connect your batteyr of known voltage (measure it before hand with a voltmeter or multimeter).

Once the battery is connected, the charger will display the voltage it sees from the bat in the right corner.

if it is measuring low then press the + button till the voltage on the right reaches the ,measured level.
If it is reading high then press the - button till the voltage on the right reaches the measured level.

the numbers on the left are not volts so keep pressing till the voltage is correct.

once the correct voltage is displayed hit the enter button and the charger will save the calibration and then reboot itself.

More here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hvR7dGAkEo

Old 08-24-2010, 07:40 PM
tacx
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: PlaneHeli

Has anyone checked the balance of the cells charged by this charger against one of the top model chargers.

I realise this charger my well appear balanced on the screen, but is it accurate when compared to a top end charger?

The price is good for a 6S charger if its accurate.

Cheers
You don't need another high end charger to check cell balancing. All you need to do is check each cell, by way of the balance plug, with a good Multi meter. That said, I have two of these chargers I have been using for two years now and am very happy with them. I charge all type of batts including A123s and the charger works great. The only problem is the manual is a little hard to follow because the Chinese to American translation is hard to follow.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:46 AM
nicelife2010
Banned

that might be true
Old 08-25-2010, 04:34 AM
TimBle

Yeah,I use my TAcell 6 for all my battery charging as well. It does a strirlng job of charging Li-ion, LiFePO4, and Li-Poly, NiXX and Pb batteries.

I havenot had a battery fail on this charger,in fact I attempted to revive a 6V NiMH pack that had a poor cell. It cycled the pack and thebattery worked for a for weeks but then the cell just dies and the 2000mA.hr pack became a almost zero mA.hr pack. I knew it was suspect so I load tested it.

I am very happy with the Accucell 6. In fact it seems to offer features that more expensive chargers don't offer.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:50 AM
W.P. Hurst

Got it, thanks. I cannot get the numbers to match, about a half a volt diff between actual battery [volt meter] and the charger. Close enough, dont fly if to low on volts / Mah anyway. I take the charger to the field, so if needed can top off battery.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:17 AM
TimBle

half a volt? thats quite a huge difference.
My charger displays the voltage down to 0.01 V. Just keep pressing the plus button if your charger is undereading.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:40 PM
raagesen

Charging NiMH battery.
Hi, wonder if someone could guide me in the right direction.
I've been using my Accucel-6 for charging LiPo batteries so far, and it seem to be working as it should.
The other day I had to charge a NiMH battery, and wondering if someone have suggestion for ritght current, that is,
I've read somewhere that I NiMH should be charged at C/10, a 2000mAh battery should be charged with a current of 200mA,
or could I increase the current?

Also, in the manual right under "Charging  NiCd/NiMH battery", there is a choice, "Man" or "Aut", but so far I've been unable
to fugure out how to choose "Aut", someone have a suggestion on this one?

Thanks!
Old 08-25-2010, 03:50 PM
W.P. Hurst

The charger will only go to -20. I still get a .03 difference in readings. Could be my meter is off a little.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:30 PM
nitro-rob

I can't figure out how to get mine to charge a lead gel pack. I get a connection error every time (all connections are checked). Has anyone used one of these to charge a Pb-battery?
Old 09-10-2010, 05:36 PM
Clay Walters

I have. Just follow their cryptic instructions carefully and it works. I found I skimmed over them the first time and failed to note some subtle points that matter. (that's what I remember, not the points themselves)

But I did set the parameters as they recommended so that using the "auto" functions for NIMH and Lead would work properly since those are the only two types I use.

Sorry I cannot furnish specifics but wanted to offer some encouragement.

Now if I could just get mine to reliably engage the Manual functions instead of jumping to the Auto so easily!

CW
Old 09-10-2010, 06:37 PM
nitro-rob

Thank you. I reread the manual like crazy and tried to find subtle stuff. I had to charge it with a high initial current and it took and now I can charge it with lower initial current although it only charges at 0.1V and shuts down after a few minutes saying its full. The voltage goes straight to the end voltage when it starts charging (14.7V). At this point I am thinking its the battery. Its potentially a bad battery, it came out of a UPS that was one year old so I was hoping it had some life left in it.