Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

paralleling battery packs?

Old 04-18-2009, 06:46 PM
combatpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default paralleling battery packs?

I about have my ultra spad stick ready to go with my ryobi conversion mounted and ready for action. I want to maiden this thin at next weeks funfly but do not have the time and money to buy a reciever pack before then. this aircraft takes 8 servos and I am worried a standard 4.8 volt 600 m battery pack just isnt gona last long. I plan on getting a good 1800 mah 5 cell nicad when i can.

Ok so the question is: I have many 4 cell 4.8 volt 600 mah battery packs. If i were to take two packs and parallel them would they together equal 600 mah or 1200 mah. Even if it is still 600 mah shouldnt it last twice as long as its pulling half the amperage from each battery to make the total? shouldnt this be good enough to do a maiden till i can afford to get my new pack?
Old 04-18-2009, 07:44 PM
P-40 DRIVER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: paralleling battery packs?

It will work just fine, just plug the second pack into an open port on your reciever. Use one switche for each battery and check battery voltage of both packs independently using a loaded volt before each flight. I would not try to fly the plane on one 600 mil amp pack though.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:45 PM
RussianFlyer

The basic rules of parallel and series connections are 1) series connection = additive voltage 2) parallel connection = additive capacity
In your case, two 4.8 volt packs in parallel will give you the voltage of a single 4.8 volt pack, but the capacity of two.
HTH
Old 04-18-2009, 09:27 PM
safeTwire
My Feedback: (2)

I agree 100% about NOT trying to fly 8 servos on one 600mah pack. Please make sure that the two packs you will use are in top notch condition. Fly off a fresh charge, and before you assemble the plane at the field, check the batteries with the proper instrument. With a 1200mah pack and 8 servos, I would check them again after the first or second flight.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:23 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The parallel packs will work fine. Just remember that you must not charge them in parallel though, Nixx batteries can not be charged in parallel without possible damage to them.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:27 AM
combatpilot

The parallel packs will work fine. Just remember that you must not charge them in parallel though, Nixx batteries can not be charged in parallel without possible damage to them.
Thats good to know. i was going to cut the leads and solder the leads together to parallel them together with just one plug end. I dont plan on flying this plane long. just long enough to trim it out and maybee a few minutes more. I really want to maiden it at our fun fly as there are so many guys that want to see it as they watched this plane go togetherat our club winter build nights. the fun fly seems to be the best time as all of the guys will be there.