Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Things went south

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 02:05 AM
andrew66

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Things went south

Hey, i recently purchased a hangar 9 perfect peak charger. I also had a RX battery made up for me (sanyo cells 4.8V 1500maH and Nimh) This charger is capable of Nicad and Nimh batteries. I have used it to charge my 1500 mah pack before without problems. Tonight, the thing was taking forever to charge, and when i went to check on the battery pack, the room was filled with this god awful stench and smoke. I soon realized that the battery pack had ruptured and almost burnt the model. The charger must have automatically shut off. Now i wonder if this is the battery's fault, the charger, or mine. I would like to try the charger again, but dont want to risk another battery pack. Also my servos, the switch harness and reciever are covered in a oily smelly substance. It looks like it sprayed back into the model. How should i clean this off? and should i use this equipment again? I have never seen anything like this in my life. It scared the crap out of me and almost started a fire.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:24 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: Things went south

It appeared your charger missed the charge cutoff and the pack went into thermal runaway.It is not the batterys fault.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:46 AM
pilotpete2

Default RE: Things went south

Ditch the peak detecting charger for charging receiver and transmitter packs. An overnight charger set to 150mA will give you a full charge and won't damge the batteries
Pete