Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Did I do somthing wrong? Fried Turnigy Accucel-8

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Did I do somthing wrong? Fried Turnigy Accucel-8

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 10:10 PM
baxternick
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did I do somthing wrong? Fried Turnigy Accucel-8

I just got into FE boats (ul-1) and purchased 3 sets of 5000mah 7.4 packs for it. I purchases a Turnigy Accucel-8, and Accucel-6 from hobbyking.com. I have always used my triton on my lipos with no problem charging at a 1c rating. I was charging yesterday for only the 3rd time on the Turnigy Accucel-8 and I noticed a smell of burnt outputs, and the heatsink was very hot even with the fan running. I let it cool and tried a few different lipos and they all had the same end result, but all charged perfect on my old triton. All the lipos ran well in the boat last night, and they all charged again perfect on the triton, so I know they are fine. I was charging the 7.4v 5000mah packs at 5 amps. Was this to much for a 150watt charger? Should I charge at 2.5amps like the triton does? I am using a 60 amp power supply with a digital current read-out, and when the Turnigy Accucel-8 ramps up to charge now it draws over 25 amps the powersupply crowbar clips into protection. I already shipped it back this afternoon, and was wondering if anyone has had problems, or did I get a bum charger? Seems like I read alot of good stuff, but maybe it's somthing I did wrong? Thanks in advanced for any help!
Old 07-31-2009, 10:23 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Did I do somthing wrong? Fried Turnigy Accucel-8

I can't see that you did anything wrong. 5 amps should be just fine and really should've only pulled 3-4 amps at the 12 volt ps.

Coincidentally I have had that happen to a few Tritons.