Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

laptop supply as DC charger power supply

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

laptop supply as DC charger power supply

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 02:06 PM
dubluv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default laptop supply as DC charger power supply

Is there any one doing this? I mainly charge my lipos at 2.1mah max and my A123 at 3.3mah....I'm looking at a laptop supply that rates 19.6V with 4.62amp output.....
Old 08-11-2009, 06:24 PM
pilotpete2

Default RE: laptop supply as DC charger power supply

I think the 19.6V output is too high for most chargers. Check your chargers specs
Pete
Old 08-11-2009, 07:24 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

If you're asking about using the ps itself to charge I don't think it has close enough voltage to do it. The current may be too great at start of charge too. You have 6s A-123 and 5S lipos? In fact the current might be too much for the lipos anyways.

Edit, I see the title, your not asking that.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:34 PM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a Toshiba laptop power unit for my Triton charger. The power unit is rated 15v DC, 4.5A.

Whether your power unit can be used depending on charger's input requirement. As long as the voltage/amperage is within the range it is fine.

I use Triton charger with an A123 adaptor to charge VPX A123 packs @ 1.5A through the regular charge port on Hpi heavy-duty switches. Works great, and I love the compact size.

eBay has good supply of good laptop power units. I picked the Toshiba one from there.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:43 AM
KW_Counter

Dubluv,
I am using the power supply for a flat screen monitor
to run my riton II charger. It is rated at 12 volts 5 amps.
Pilot Pete is right, the 19 v is to high. It is rated for 11 to 15 volts.
There are a lot of power supplies on ebay.
Good Luck,
KW_Counter
Old 08-12-2009, 10:18 AM
playntraffic

I second the Toshiba laptop charger. It was the correct volts/amps and the correct male plug for my Turnigy charger.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:31 PM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Just me mindful of the fact that many laptops have the actual charger "intelligence" embedded into the packs themselves, the power supplies are just that ... a source of stable DC voltage, not actually a charger at all...

It makes sense for the PC manufacturers since packs can be changed out to different capacity, chemistry, etc without changing the PC or the power supply.

Dave
Old 08-13-2009, 10:37 AM
zoli818

max i would try maybe 12-16v 4-5 amps Adapter.... its decent for charging but Not crazy fast charging ......but 2-3 amp charge should be ok
look for old electronic places around you , i got few around here in LA, and they have all kinds power supplies/chargers etc cheap!!!!
i just finished converting a PSU , it went ok, just needed 5v and 2x12v+ at 19amps......went to the elect store seen a brand new Mini psu with fan
12v-15amp for 20$ !!!! i mean its small lil PSU looks cool but, i already got one now ...12v /5amp chargers around 8$ - you guys would love this place its like radio shack x5 on ROIDS lol

www.allelectronics.com

Old 08-13-2009, 11:05 AM
dubluv

Thanks for the response!

I'll see if I can find the Toshiba supply you have mentioned...

I have a power supply that out puts 13.2V with 10amp which is more than enough....however I bring my batts to work so I can charge as I watch them, and the power suppky is a beast....it's 10 times the size of the charger! I just wanted somtehing portable that I could carry around easier...

Old 08-13-2009, 01:57 PM
zoli818

LOL  thats cool man, charging your lipos at the Office .... hey least u can have lunch and watch them ...  yea ,might wana down size that Beast
im a plumber/hvac guy so i got  my boat/charger/batts  on boating days, (i try to run every 2 days) with me in the truck cabin charging while im on the road or in  horrible LA  traffic.... i love going 12miles in 1.5hrs  yay .....[&:]
Old 08-20-2009, 08:02 AM
zero244
My Feedback: (1)

Dubluv: The laptop power-supply voltage is the unloaded voltage. I would check this but the actual voltage once connected to the charger will probably drop down to 15volts.
The best source for AC to DC power is with a regulated power supply. This will give you a clean constant voltage of around 13 volts.
You can get a Pyramid 10 amp regulated power-supply on Ebay for 65 dollars shipped.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:08 PM
drbenz
My Feedback: (11)

you can build a power supply from an old PC power supply. I built one and it works great. output is 12v 12 amp. it cost me like $20 in parts. checkout this article....

http://www.wikihow.com/Convert-a-Com...b-Power-Supply