Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Converted computer power supply question ?

I just bought an ATX computer power supply to convert, to power a charger, and here are the specs:

+5V at 36A
    +12V1 at 34A
    +3.3V at 36A
    -5V at 1A
    -12V at 1A
    +5VSB at 2A

Question: Can I get 17 volts by combining the +12 & -5 or the +5 & -12 ? Do I just solder them together?

Wattage at 17V should be 629?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Converted computer power supply question ?

ORIGINAL: Kaz the Minotaur

I
    Question: Can I get 17 volts by combining the +12 & -5 or the +5 & -12 ?
    Wattage at 17V should be 629?
    The short answer is yes, but ...... You can get a measured 17v by treating the negative voltage as ground and the positive voltage as your positive pole (DO NOT solder them together). This works because DC voltage is actually the voltage differential between the two poles. Convention over the years has set the ground plane to represent a voltage of 0.

However, the current rating on these supplies for negative rails is usually low and adding a low current rail in series does not give you the sum of the amperage for both rails. You will get 17 volts, but most likely when you draw much more than an amp (current rating for both the -12v and -5v), you will probably either latch off due to overload or burn the rail.

In this situation, I would suggest that you look for another solution if you need 17v.

andrew
    the "other" andrew
    I'm not older than dirt, but I can remember when it was patent pending

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Converted computer power supply question ?

Look for Astron, Sanwa or other commerical built power supplies in the 10 amp range.
    You may pay more up front but you'll only need to pay it out this one time.
    Fer instance; I have a Astron high current PS that is over 20 years old and has NEVER given one hint of trouble.
    Take a look at www.hobbycity.com
    Have seen a coulle on that site at reasonble prices
    Gary
    \"I don\'\'t want to see\'\'em crash, but I want to be there when they do.\" Moore\'\'\'\'s bromide, r.i.p. \'\'05