Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

How to Formation Charge with Accu-Cycle Elite?

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

How to Formation Charge with Accu-Cycle Elite?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 09:31 PM
fheppenheimer
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to Formation Charge with Accu-Cycle Elite?

I have a 5-cell 1400 mA Nicad (JR) which is 4 years old but which has never been used. I am planning on formation charging the battery, then cycling a few times, and then testing to see how well it holds a charge. My charger is an Accu-Cyle Elite, which is a peak detection charger. To formation charge, I was planning on setting the charger at 150 mA but think I need to reduce the sensitivity of the peak detection in order to get, say, a 16 hour formation charge complete before the peak detection circuit shuts the charging down. The sensitivity is adjustable 3-15 mV with 8 mV as default. Should I increase this to 12 or 15 mV? Any tips about a better way to proceed?
Old 12-13-2009, 10:42 AM
aghost
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: How to Formation Charge with Accu-Cycle Elite?

I use the Accu-Cycle Elite. You are on the right track. I'd use 150 mah and leave the peak detection at 8 mV. However, for the initial formation charge and the next two to three charges, I do not depend on the peak detection circuit. Let the battery charge for 16 hours, 2400 mah (16 x 150mah), or until the battery feels warm at the touch - whichever comes first. If the peak detection cuts it off early then you may have to increase the setting, but that hasn't happened to mine yet. I keep a close watch on the next few charges until I see the peak charge detection work properly. Then I am comfortable with not monitoring the battery charging operation as closely.

Brian
Old 12-13-2009, 01:31 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I believe you can set the what they call the trickle charge (the charge that continues after the peak detector cuts off the preset charge rate) to continue after the peak charge detector is exercised. Just set this value to 150 ma and it will continue to charge at that rate after the peak detector is tripped. It has been some time since I used an Accucyle so be sure to check your manual to see if this is possible.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:34 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 346 Likes on 277 Posts

I dont remember being able to set the post charge trickle rate, though I do know if it's in cycle mode you dont get the trickle.

I just plug new NiMH's into a wall wart for 24 hours or so.