Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

What size RX pack?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 09:01 PM
SeaJay
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What size RX pack?

Hello, All...

I have recently purchased an GP Ultrasport 1000. it has 1 - 180 oz/in tq servo, and 4 - 100 oz/in servos. (all approx) I know that I should go with a 6v pack, but what size in mAh? would a 2000 mAh NiMh be good, or should I go higher? I would probably not have more than about 4-5 flights of about 10 -15 mins on any given day of flying. any reccomendations from those who Fly larger airplanes? This is my first plane using larger than Standard servos, so any help/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, Craig..

Old 01-28-2010, 09:03 PM
SeaJay
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: What size RX pack?

Ohh, if this is of importance, the Big (180oz) servo is on the rudder, and the smaller ones are Ailerons and elevators.

Thanks again, Craig.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:14 AM
Capt Lou

I'm not familiar with the plane but if I were using high torque servos, I would power them with a 2300 mah A123 battery pack. Since you're looking to make an investmanet in good batteries, these are excellent. They are rated at 6.6 volts and most servos and RX can handle this voltage. They charge in 10 minutes at the field, are safe, and have very long term life. Essentially they have all the positives you want from a battery. The only negative is you can't tell when they are fully discharged but this is easily managed by testing your flight time and capacity usage during flight. As an example, I can easily get 6-8 flights (8-10 minutes each) before I charge the pack and I probably could wait longer to charge but don't because of safety. Unfortunately, you may need a new battery charger, and if you do, the CellPro Multi4 is excellent. If you want to read about A123 batteries go to www.hangtimes.com He is also an excellent supplier.

To put this in some prospective, I have a Wldehare 300 Extra powered by a DA-50R, with 5 JR 8611a servos (about 320lb torque @6 volts) on the control surfaces and two JR 821 servos (about 86lb torque) on the throttle and choke that also support a JR 921 RX. I have one 2300mah A123 for the ignition and two (redundant back-up) 2300mah A123 supporting the RX and servos. After about 6 flights, I have only used about 20-30% of the batteries' capacity and could continue to fly further with them but for safety, I recharge the packs which only take about ten minutes at the field.

These batteries are great. I have been using them for two years as other pilots in my Club have also and we have had only good experiences. There is a lot of reading material on RCU about these packs and, if I were you, I would investigate them. The investment in a new charger is well worth the support you get.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:19 AM
playntraffic

A 2000mah NiMH battery used to get me about five flight with 200oz digital servos on my 25% plane. You should be fine.
I use the A123 batteries on my planes now, like the Capt said those are hard to beat.