Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Equipment needed to do a formation charge on 12V lead acid batteries

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Equipment needed to do a formation charge on 12V lead acid batteries

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 01:08 PM
GregG7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Equipment needed to do a formation charge on 12V lead acid batteries

This question is not really related to R/C batteries, but there are a lot of knowledgable people who frequent this forum, and someone may be able to help.

I am in need of some computer controlled equipment to doa formation chargeon some 12 volt lead acid batteries. This formation charge is done by manufacturers before they ship lead acid batteries.

Step; Type;Time,(hour);Amp; Volt Limit
1 CHG 5 0.5 None
2 CHG 10 2.0 16.7
3 REST 1 0 None
4 CHG 24 2.2 16.7
5 DCH 2 -3.5 9.0
6 CHG 3 3.5 16.7
7 DCH 2 -3.5 9.0
8 CHG 3 3.5 16.7

I realize Ican purchase a computer controlled power supply and electronic load box and connect them to a PC via a GPIBbus, but I am looking for a less expensive and simplier way to accomplish this. Ialso need to log the current and voltage during this formation charge.

Thanks, Greg
Old 03-06-2010, 03:22 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Equipment needed to do a formation charge on 12V lead acid batteries

Where did you get this information on form charging lead/acid batteries? I may be missing something but in some 50 years plus of using all types of batteries, I've never heard of form charging lead/acid batteries. Also, without knowing the ampere hour capacity and number of cells of the batteries you have the data on, the voltage and currents listed look pretty strange. Please elucidate (educate) me.
Old 03-06-2010, 06:33 PM
Red Baron Gary
My Feedback: (59)

Default RE: Equipment needed to do a formation charge on 12V lead acid batteries

What't the rest of the joke? Must be one here somewhere.
Gary
Old 03-06-2010, 06:40 PM
GregG7

I'm working with someone who has a startup battery company. I've been asked to come up with the data acquisition andcharging/discharge equipment. I'm nota batterychemist, so Ican't explain why this formationcharging scheme is required. Thisis only required for the initual charge. After this initual charge,the batterycan be charged normally.

Greg
Old 03-06-2010, 09:07 PM
cyclops2

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Could be.
That cycling will eliminate most chemical variations of the lead surface while being dry in air during assembly. It eliminates a LOT of current hot spots.
I think a poster named Everydayflyer has a datarecording machine called a ...C B something. Look him up in the members list. then click on his highlighted name. then on his page look for ..to sen a PM. click on that. Great Battery man.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:43 PM
richrd

You have a lot of reading to do.

Lead acid AKA "wet" do need to be formed it's called Equiallation charge thou.
A few cycles are helpful but new batteries i've never heard of it, but no harm will come of it.

Ture good lead acid chargers are too phase charge mode up to equ then to float

Research it

rich