Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Field box battery charger

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 09:25 PM
tsperry88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Field box battery charger

I am looking for a way to leave my field box in my trunk and keep the 12v gel cell charged. Ideas?
Old 03-21-2010, 09:35 PM
huck1199

Default RE: Field box battery charger

Solar trickle charger, put the panel inside rear window.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:52 PM
tsperry88

Thats a great idea. I may have to go with it. Idealy, it would be something like my battery tender jr but 12v input. I sometimes fly several days in a row. A solor panel may not top off the battery completely quick enough.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:58 PM
huck1199

My 7amp hr, sealed lead acid battery lasts quite a while, I charge once a week or some times I go two weeks. I run a glow igniter and a starter motor. What capacity is your gell cell?
Old 03-21-2010, 10:50 PM
Lnewqban

Just connect it in parallel with your car battery.

Place a resistor o fproper size in series to limit the amps when the box's battery is too low.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:54 AM
Mikecam

I don't do this with my field box but a 12 volt car battery I use at the field. I plug a small inverter (400 watts) into my power port in the back of my van, into the inverter I have a small battery tender (110 volt) that connects with the battery. When ever the van is turned on (running) the battery is getting charged. Head to the grocery store and charge your battery. Drive home from the field and then back the next day and charge the battery. Because the power port is only charged when the key is on there is no chance for problems when I'm not in the van.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:32 AM
tsperry88

Going the inverter route. Gonna mount a 400 watt inverter to a small sub already in my trunk and rob power from it. Gonna mount a 30amp automotive relay on the + side and trigger it from the keyed power at the radio. The inverter has 2 outlets 1 to charge my 12v battery and 1 to charge my glow starter. I drive 2 hours a day. Perfect.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:18 AM
airborne14830

I have a tower hobbies 12 volt battery, and plugged it up to get a full charge. went to the flying field and my starter would not turn my saito 100 prop over. We did a voltmeter check and it says the battery was charge to 12.6 volts, but it did not have the ump to turn a prop. We used another field box and my starter worked fine from that one. should I do something different with this battery to regain the ump? the battery is only a few months old.