Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

transmitter lipo question....

Old 04-02-2010, 12:27 AM
Andrew_S
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmitter lipo question....

I bought a used jr 10x a few months ago and it came with a lipo battery...Today I went to the field and after about 20 minutes of use the battery low voltage alarm came on...I went home and charged it up with my triton..I wanted to see how long the battery would last so I turned the tx on with the antenna up. It lasted 1 1-2 hours and the tx shut off at 7.4 volts. I dont know what the capacity is supposed to be, but after I charged it after it shut the tx down, according to the triton it held 435 ma..When it's fully charged the voltage reads 12.4..Are these values right as far as the capacity? I noticed too when i charge it with the triton, I can set it for a maximum 2.5 rate of charge. When I set this value, it never gets any higher than .3 while it's charging..Am I doing something wrong here? I know absolutely zilch about these lipo packs.
Thanks in advance for the replies.....
Old 04-02-2010, 03:46 AM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: transmitter lipo question....

You may have a problem pack but also it is not recommended to use a Lipo in a JR radio from what I understand so you may be better off with a NICD or NIMH.

I use Lipos in an Aurora 9(designed for Lipo) and a Futaba 9C (people have indicated a few years use with no problem), but I would not use one in a JR based on forum comments. One repairer for JR was very clear there are a lot of ixes because of over voltage from LIPOS on JR's.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:39 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

If you run a LiPo in the transmitter until it shuts down, that battery will be shot. Thats one draw back, the low voltage alarm is too low for 3s cells and it will kill it and possibly puff it if you wait for it to go into cut off or LVA
Old 04-02-2010, 11:08 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With a 3S Lipo in my tx it's 12.4V off the charger and I recharge at 11V. Been doing this for a couple years. When it starts to get below 11V it begins to drop pretty fast. Once you get spoiled with 10 hour times between recharge it's hard to go back to NiMh or NiCd.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:22 AM
Andrew_S
My Feedback: (12)

Ok thanks...I guess I will be ordering a new pack.
Old 04-02-2010, 05:30 PM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

Send your TX pack to "sincityjets" and he will install a new set Enelopes in the cassette. It will run about $50 and includes return shipping. Call first to make sure they are in stock. If he has them is stock, turn around time is about one week.

www.sincityjets.com

702-521-8010 Chad
Old 04-02-2010, 08:29 PM
huck1199

Go here for a fresh lipo pack; $19.99
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ack_(Futaba/JR)
Old 04-02-2010, 09:50 PM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

The 10X uses a battery holder that must be used. Lipos you suggested won't work.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:08 AM
grizzly59

ORIGINAL: JoeAirPort

With a 3S Lipo in my tx it's 12.4V off the charger and I recharge at 11V. Been doing this for a couple years. When it starts to get below 11V it begins to drop pretty fast. Once you get spoiled with 10 hour times between recharge it's hard to go back to NiMh or NiCd.
That's about right. You must stop flying when you get a 10.8 reading on your transmitter when using lipos or lithium ions