RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Batteries & Chargers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/batteries-chargers-84/)
-   -   Best A123 capable (and Lipo, etc.) charger.... ? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/batteries-chargers-84/10653587-best-a123-capable-lipo-etc-charger.html)

Ernie Misner 08-03-2011 11:56 AM

Best A123 capable (and Lipo, etc.) charger.... ?

I'll be needing an A123 capable charger for my airplane rx packs. I might as well get one that will charge everything else as well. An AC power cord plus CD input would be nice. It doesn't have to charge more than one battery at a time necessarily or at high amperage...... SO what would be a good charger for the buck? Imax, FMC, turnigy, or????

It boggles my mind, LOL,

Thanks,

Ernie

Capt Lou 08-03-2011 12:45 PM

RE: Best A123 capable (and Lipo, etc.) charger.... ?

Take a look at the CellPro line of chargers. I have a Multi4 and it is great.

JustPlaneSweet 08-03-2011 01:03 PM

ditto on the Cellpro charger. Mine are set up to charge between flights while I refuel. Works great.

Stan

BarracudaHockey 08-03-2011 01:46 PM

I dont know what the "best" is but I get a lot of milage (chargage?) out of my Hyperion Duo3

Its firmware upgradeable and I can even plug it in and run it and chart batteries and stuff with my laptop. (cuz i'm geeky like that)

Ernie Misner 08-03-2011 01:59 PM

Thanks guys, where is a good place to order the Cell Pro or the Hyperions??? FMA makes the Cell Pro, right?

Thanks again,

Ernie

dirtybird 08-03-2011 07:15 PM

FMA imports and sells Cell Pro. They are made in Asia.

dasintex 08-03-2011 07:55 PM

FMA CellPro Multi 4 and CellPro 4S Gold; I got mine from Quantum Hobby http://www.quantumhobby.com/default.asp

Cellpro Multi 4: charges LiPoly, LiIon, LiFePO4, A123, LiMn and NiCd, NiMH

Cellpro 4S Gold: charges LiPoly, LiIon, LiFePO4, A123, LiMn

4*60 08-04-2011 01:40 AM

Thunder AC6. Excellent and inexpensive.

aghost 08-04-2011 06:17 AM

Got two Thunder AC6 chargers and one CellPro Multi4. Kind of like Thunder AC6 better, but I haven't used the CellPro enough to get familiar with it.

BarracudaHockey 08-04-2011 06:19 AM

http://helidirect.com/hyperion-c-1_116_521.hdx

Mikecam 08-22-2011 04:04 PM

I use the FMA multi 4 for my A123's and balance charge right thru my charge port.

Ernie Misner 08-22-2011 09:32 PM

Mike, you are just using one lead to charge/balance through? I thought it takes two leads to balance.

Thanks,

Ernie

JustPlaneSweet 08-23-2011 04:25 AM

Ernie,

Receiver A123 packs are two cell so the balance tap is run through the signal pin of a standard JR three pin connector. This line goes to the charge port but is isolated from the receiver.

Stan

BarracudaHockey 08-23-2011 05:32 AM

Interesting, all mine have a balance tap and standard two wire power connectors.

JustPlaneSweet 08-23-2011 06:57 PM

Sorry, my mistake. All my A123 pack are home made from Dewalt packs. I solder my own 20ga JR extension to the pack. I made up a mating connector for the Cellpro.

Stan

Ernie Misner 08-23-2011 09:12 PM

Stan, very cool that you are just using one lead to balance charge with. In another thread a couple of the top profile guys are just using two pins on the JR plug and not even balance charging. They say it's just two cells and for rx use has been no problem whatsoever. Interesting.

Thanks,

Ernie

aghost 08-24-2011 10:53 AM

Hangtime Hobbies makes a 2 cell A123 pack with a single lead for charging and balancing. They sell a charging lead that has the balancing connection. Need to read through their instructions, but it all works well.

Brian

Capt Cash 08-24-2011 12:24 PM

I've bought from Hangtime Hobbies before and his products and service are outstanding.The website is very informative too.

I'm slowly switching to all A123s with the single lead. It makes charging easy as heck right through the charge port/switch on your plane.He nowcarries the Hitec 4port multi-charger with optional singlecharge/balance leadswhich I think I'm gonna get. I currentlyuse the FMA CellPro Multi4 with the custom single lead, it's simple and works like a charm.

Capt Lou 08-24-2011 12:34 PM

ORIGINAL: Capt Cash

I've bought from Hangtime Hobbies before and his products and service are outstanding. The website is very informative too.

I'm slowly switching to all A123s with the single lead. It makes charging easy as heck right through the charge port/switch on your plane. He now carries the Hitec 4 port multi-charger with optional single charge/balance leads which I think I'm gonna get. I currently use the FMA CellPro Multi4 with the custom single lead, it's simple and works like a charm.
Ditto for me! Go to www.hangtime.com and you will get plenty of help with A123 batteries. He is a reputable supplier, sells quality batteries, gives good service, and specializes in these batteries. He'll respond to your questions promptly and provides good information.

Capt Lou

bob_nj 08-27-2011 12:50 AM

Anyone get a response to email from Hangtime lately?
I sent one a week ago and got no response from him.
My buddy wants to buy some things and just needs clarification on a few things.

Kind of hard to do business and click that, "Add To Cart" button under those conditions...

Maybe business is good and he is too busy.

4*60 08-27-2011 01:03 AM

ORIGINAL: Ernie Misner

Stan, very cool that you are just using one lead to balance charge with. In another thread a couple of the top profile guys are just using two pins on the JR plug and not even balance charging. They say it's just two cells and for rx use has been no problem whatsoever. Interesting.

Thanks,

Ernie
I didn't set up balance leads on my A123 packs either. Someone very much into testing said exactly that. At low charge rates anddischarge rates, they would not get unbalanced.
Been over a year for me with over 1/2 dozen packs and A-OK.

Ernie Misner 08-28-2011 09:51 PM

Wow, intersting 4*60. Keep us posted, I hope that trend continues good with NO balancing your 2 cell packs. I might try that as well.

Do you still have your 4*60? What engine did / do you run???? Nice planes!

Ernie

bob_nj 08-29-2011 01:16 AM

I still haven't heard from Hangtime [:o]

Sad...

Capt Cash 08-29-2011 03:33 AM

That's odd, I emailed him with a question last week and he replied back that same day. We actually exchanged a few emails. I've done business with them twice so far and it has been very good.

bob_nj 08-29-2011 03:37 AM

Interesting!
I've bought lots of stuff from him too.

I'll try again.

Is there a way to reach him by phone?