RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Batteries & Chargers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/batteries-chargers-84/)
-   -   Wiring (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/batteries-chargers-84/11265804-wiring.html)

daves 10-17-2012 07:16 AM

Wiring

Does anyone know what the difference is between the stiff wire you buy in Radio Shack and the soft pliable wire that is used in battery connections? I am using a 4c battery and have to make extensions so the battery wires reach the ESC. They are both 10ga. twisted copper wire.

raptureboy 10-17-2012 07:49 AM

RE: Wiring

The wire used on batteries and esc's is silicone coated making it very flexible. You can order it from many of the electric partssuppliers. Try Maxx products. http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-5.htmlbottom of the page

trax de max 10-17-2012 10:38 AM

the silicone wire is more flexable, so when the parts it's soldered too jiggles around a little, it takes up the stress as apposed to the stiffer copper wire which will snap the solder joint when jiggled a bit.

daves 10-17-2012 12:38 PM

Thanks for the input. I checked with Maxx Products and they do have it so I ordered some. Thanks again.\
Dave

trax de max 10-20-2012 01:02 AM

ORIGINAL: trax de max

the silicone wire is more flexable, so when the parts it's soldered too jiggles around a little, it takes up the stress as apposed to the stiffer copper wire which will snap the solder joint when jiggled a bit.
i just read my post and makes no sense, so i'll try again.

The silicone wire is more flexible than the stiff copper wire, When the Batterey jiggles about a little or the cables move with vibration the stress is on the wire, The silicone wire happily absorbs this but the stiff copper wire transfers all the energy to its weakest place, the solder joint. Solder joints are strong but don't like any movement and breaks off easily.

Goldenduff 10-20-2012 03:00 AM

I encountered some wire coming from an expensive multiplex funjet upgrade motor. It would not accept solder at all- needed to add to their length. Couldn't tin it at all....any tips?

trax de max 10-20-2012 08:15 AM

do you have pics or is it just a case of adding extra wire to the existing.

Goldenduff 10-20-2012 08:37 AM

Just wanted to lengthen existing (for a mini North Star aka Polaris by Steve schumate). Quality motor by multiplex but after removing bullet connectors the wire will not take solder, it just runs/slips off. The wire looks coppery. Cheers

trax de max 10-20-2012 09:00 AM

use a domestic brillo pad to clean, rub some flux on the wires and using a hot iron with broad tip and decent size solder it should take

Goldenduff 10-20-2012 01:28 PM

Okay.....thanks (if it works or not!!)

Goldenduff 10-20-2012 02:25 PM

Sorry to hijack this thread but seeing as you're here...what wattage is sensible for a soldering iron on 12gauge to deans etc? Thanks

trax de max 10-20-2012 03:06 PM

i use a 60 watt and i would say that would be minimum what to use, but the tip is quite important and also keeping it good.Broad tips make such a difference.
For making battery packs your looking at much higher and thicker solder.
For small gauge i don't use flux but for larger 10-8 gauge i do.

TheWoodCrafter 10-23-2012 05:17 AM

I see no one here has mentioned to you that extending your battery wires to the ESC is NOT recommended at all.
Sometimes can lead to frying your ESC.

It is better the extend the wires going to the motor if you have to.

Goldenduff 10-23-2012 05:42 AM

Hello- I did not think it was as cut and dry as that....Is there an argument that lengthening the wires from ESC to the motor can intefere with the back EMF that the motor sends to the ESC. The ESC uses this information for timing. Similar arguement to why you cannot run two brushless motors off one ESC (although dont tell my ESC that as it happily runs two brushless motors!).

Bascially, as in life, there is a compromise. I would be interested in replies to this, if not a little off topic. If you need to have the motor a long way away from the ESC would increase motor or battery leads and why...........

Cheers

trax de max 10-23-2012 08:39 AM

there is some set ups that don't like the esc to motor wires shortened, not all but some.
From what i remember if the wires come from the motor and solder to esc you can't shorten,
If you solder to motor then these can be shortened. Whether this is true i don't know 100%

TheWoodCrafter 10-23-2012 06:11 PM

I was quoting from an artical I found in Model Aviation written by the former owner of AstroFlight.

You can find the complete artical on page 94 and 95.

https://library.modelaviation.com/ma/2012/2

It seems the length of the wire to the motor doesn't matter at all but the wire to the ESC should be under 1 foot.

Lone Star Charles 10-24-2012 07:46 AM

Somehow, I just don't understand how the length of the wires can make any perceptable difference to the electronics. Obviously, wire size and length should be made adequate for the amount on current that the wire is carrying; but, as far as it having any signigicant influence on the commutation timing in the ESC, I just don't see it. Hope someone here can explain.

trax de max 10-24-2012 08:07 AM

ah right i thought it was other way around.