RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Batteries & Chargers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/batteries-chargers-84/)
-   -   Reuseable: Salvage swollen li-po. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/batteries-chargers-84/11655992-reuseable-salvage-swollen-li-po.html)

ican3d 10-29-2018 11:45 PM

Reuseable: Salvage swollen li-po.

Here's how i salvage most of my bad swollen li-po pack and give em a second life.

Video:

Money saved again. :D

init4fun 10-30-2018 06:00 AM

Around here , swollen LIPOS get the "D&D" treatment , Discharge and Dispose .

The money I've saved in houses not burned down will keep me in LIPOS for the next 3 or 4 hundred years ........

whiskey29 10-30-2018 04:05 PM

I do salvage my lipo by removing puffed pack, I do it for friends all the time,
The only reason is its very difficult to get lipo here, not to mention its super expensive.
The procedure is not for the faint hearted, NOT recommended if you are not good with soldering iron.
You got to know what you are doing. If one cell is puffed, the other cells are most likely unfit anyway, Most of the time I just salvage the cables.
If you ever cross the terminals it would give you goosebumps, jumps, 1 minutes of bad scenarios passing in your brain and 1 minute of swearing, not to mention the risk of puncturing the packs when removing them since the cells are mostly double taped together.
If you are watching this video to learn, again.. NOT recommended.
why so? If you know what you are doing you don't need to watch this video in the first place.
That is one how to video that we don't need in this century.
If you must do it, do it OUTSIDE the house, get some kapton tape, fiberglass tape and shrink wrap to put them back together just as the factory did.
If Lipo are easy to get for you, again NOT recommended.

rgburrill 10-30-2018 06:11 PM

I would love to put a swollen pack 100 yards downrange on an outdoor target just to see the fireworks when a 223 round goes though it. Make sure it's an outdoor range and a private on at that.

ican3d 10-30-2018 06:17 PM

Yes its not for everyone but for those who knows how Li-po works and its chemistry it should be a problem provided you do it in save condition. Learning helps to be resourceful in every growing hobby..if you don't learn you'll never know its limitation. Oh btw this is how i dispose li-po before i throw into trash.. did it back yard safely.

Video:

init4fun 10-31-2018 09:21 AM

An FYI to to the OP ;

No one here except you said anything about "Explode" !

LIPOs don't "Explode" , they BURN , , , VIOLENTLY , and let out noxious smoke/fumes in the process along with starting secondary fires depending on their surroundings .

PS , Really dude ? Wearing freakin SANDALS while stomping the battery ? And you talk safety ? Yep , someday , Darwin may just claim you as a victim with stupid stunts like that .

:p "Myth Busted Indeed" !

Propworn 10-31-2018 02:15 PM

Init don't interfere with the process of natural selection after all its supposed to keep the stupid ones from procreating isn't it????????

ican3d 10-31-2018 02:44 PM

Its good to be part of Darwin...almost..but its part curiosity of learning the limitation how to grow with hobby so you know the technical level of handling dangerous stuff on radio control models. If i don't learn characteristic of Li-po battery i wouldn't be here running hobby and building custom li-po pack and proceed growing huge number of R/C or drone project. Those who can't move up to next level of hobby food chain will stuck because they can't handle whats next challenges to make a hobby a success. People used to shun Thomas Edison and Nikola Tesla, but look at them they innovate the use of electricity.
Because now i know how li-po and Li-on cell works and its behavior i can easily custom made pack of high efficient batteries and i move forward building more efficient flying and ground R/C and drones models with relying what commercial market to offer.

Check out my other build using custom Li-on battery packs....success!!

Photo:
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...91fd68b7c9.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...d7337a6b85.jpg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...15fe3835fa.jpg

Video on using my custom li-on packs for drone application: (building your own battery packs are efficient.)

Do you guys move on to discover new frontier of R/C to the next level or stuck where you at?

blvdbuzzard 11-06-2018 07:09 PM

I have removed bad cells and moved the battery down a level. I had a 6s battery with a dead cell, would not charge, so I took the battery apart, now it is a 5s, done that many 3s batteries. Nothing wrong with that. Back in the dark ages of lipo batteries, we actually had to make them ourselves as they came in blister packs. So you would have to solder single packs together to make a larger pack. Oh and the horror of it all, no lipo chargers. We had to use multi meters and charge them on the nihm setting. It was several years before an actual charger had a lipo setting.

Yes I do agree, this is not for every one. Not really that hard either. Take your time, do not do this on the couch watching the game in shorts. Out side so when you do something wrong and the magic smoke comes out, you are in a safe enough place to let it smoke, I like doing this on my welding table onto of the fire brick. Not going to hurt anything burning there.

Only time I was close to being a Darwin winner, I plug 2 lipos into the wrong sides "Y" harness. 5 second later, they looked like balloons.

Buzz.

stegl 11-22-2018 07:27 AM

A Would recommend that you invest in a battery spot welder instead of soldering onto the pos and neg ends of your cells. If you can’t touch the end of the cell with your bare finger immediately after the solder job then what does the inside of the battery feel like ?Right , everyone has done it in the past by not having enough knowledge . On the positive end , the seal can be broken or damaged resulting in leakage or if air gets in contact with the lithium , resulting in a fire.
Anyone trying to repair lipo batteries that start to puff are playing with fire . Literally ! Plus doing it for others , opens one up for a law suite if something goes wrong.