RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Batteries & Chargers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/batteries-chargers-84/)
-   -   what is the best ecu battery (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/batteries-chargers-84/11671025-what-best-ecu-battery.html)

j.c.a. 10-20-2019 04:11 PM

what is the best ecu battery

I have been using 9.9 life and A123 batteries and have various brands would like to get some feed back on which battery is best and which brand is preferred, my turbines range from 160 to 320 and are of different brands.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions

J.C.

ryan_t888 11-09-2019 06:47 PM

There's too many options! I have more experience with LiPo batteries than LiFe.

Have you used the Kingtech Factory pack?
Have you used NoBS batteries?

cyclops2 11-21-2019 04:38 PM

THere is only 1 TRULY safe rechargeable battery. The A123 LIFEPO4 chemistry.

NOT LIFE. It is not as reliable. It does have a sloped discharge curve. The A123 cells / batteries NEVER explode or catch on fire when crashed, over discharged or overcharged Turbines are flying gas tanks. They do not need a LIPO or LIFE battery crunched & setting fire to the field & storage buildings. A123 do have a good / bad discharge curve. I know it well because I have put A123 cells in every rechargeable battery powered tool I own. Every week I run my 4 cell A123 B & D vacuum cleaner to less than 5% left. It slows down a little bit at about 10 %. But I go to 1/2 speed under load. Recharges to 95% right off the FMA Cell Pro 4 chargers. I have 2 of them.
Been using that B & D for decades like that. The cells put out a FLAT line discharge. But DAM IT .......... When you get to the drop off at the end ??? It might be seconds at 10 c or greater. So you have little warning the end is near. Recharge after or before every flight. They can not be killed. I have run them to 0 % in boats. No change in capacity . BUUTT a charger will not charge those dead cells You need to NOT use the tiny balancing plug I use a car charger on ONLY the 6 vdc setting about 2 minutes of a 10 amp charger brings the cells up to the R C charger range. Their round metal cases are TOUGH.

Your call . Get a custom pack with the connector you use & long enough leads.. Tried LIPOs I screwed them up too easily They got very puffy in months. The fear of a fire pushed me back to A123.

j.c.a. 11-21-2019 05:17 PM

Thanks for the feed back

ryan_t888 11-21-2019 05:41 PM

The NoBS batteries I mentioned use the A123 brand of LiFe cells. Definitely one of the best brands to build a solid LiFe pack.

cyclops2 11-21-2019 07:05 PM

Life cells & batteries are not the same quality as A123. They are not a patented process. They can be made with anything they desire to make it with..
LIFEPO4 is only used in A123 cells & batteries.

BarracudaHockey 11-22-2019 04:05 AM

Kingtech, Electro Dynamics, and Spektrum all have 3S Life batteries for ECU use.

For small 45 and 30 size I use Airsoft packs from Airsoft Megastore.

cyclops2 11-22-2019 07:41 AM

I have friends using them in mock combat games. They do get banged around a lot. No problems.

ryan_t888 11-22-2019 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by cyclops2 (Post 12565380)
Life cells & batteries are not the same quality as A123. They are not a patented process. They can be made with anything they desire to make it with..
LIFEPO4 is only used in A123 cells & batteries.

Hey Cyclops, I think the confusion comes from the RC industry and the desire to shorten the names as much as possible.

LiFePO4 is the base material used on all LiFe packs.

LiFe, LiFePO4, LFP, Lithium Iron Phosphate - these are all interchangeably used.

One area where the A123 Systems LiFe battery really excels is in it's plating process. The A123 cells use what they call a form of nano technology in their plating process that allows the cell to dump higher currents with lower voltage drops. The plating process also allows for a much larger cathode surface area. This surface area is critical as in all batteries, the chemical reaction that takes place consumes the cathode material. When you have more cathode surface area, degradation will take longer increasing the cycle life of the battery.

cyclops2 11-22-2019 02:05 PM

Agreee on people not having enough time to type a few extra letters to prevent new people from thinking all LI batteries are similar. Then by the cheapest. & say the LI batteries are not that good.

glideher 12-02-2019 08:35 PM

i believe Solid State Batteries will be the next big thing, im guessing in the next few years, but lipos are quite safe if you take care of them, lipo voltage checker is must