RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Batteries & Chargers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/batteries-chargers-84/)
-   -   Spectrum DX6 and DX7 charger (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/batteries-chargers-84/11671233-spectrum-dx6-dx7-charger.html)

AnthonyWS 10-26-2019 04:37 PM

Spectrum DX6 and DX7 charger

Hi I purchased the dx6 park flyer and dx7 transmitters at an auction. Trying to find battery charger for them with no luck. Comparability seems to be my biggest issue. These radios are pretty old I think?

thanks for your help
Anthony

AnthonyWS 10-26-2019 04:40 PM

ticedoff8 10-29-2019 11:22 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Yes, they are pretty old. They are also DSM2 only and not compatible with DSMX.

I switched my old DX7 to a 2S 2200mAh LiPo shortly after I got it. I still have it.
I charge it externally on a typical LiPo charger. The LiPo will last hours and hours longer than a NiMH or NiCad, so recharging it is no hardship
I bet the DX6 can be done the same way.
If you pop off the battery compartment, you can see what kind of plug is needed on the discharge lead of the 2S LiPo to plug into the DX6 / DX7

Finding a Spektrum branded "wall wart" style charger that plugs into the side of those two radios may be as simple as calling Horizon Hobby and saying "I need a charger for my old DX7 and DX6". Maybe $10 each.

Or, you can make your own.
Find a NiMH / NiCad wall wart charger that is rated to charge 8 cells (about 11v out at 110mA) and solder a connector that matches the radio's charger port (see attached PDF)
These kinds of charger can be found at Best Buy, Fry's Electronics and (maybe) Wal Mart.
You could even use one of your flying buddies if they have an old Futaba / Airtronics / Kraft / etc, etc, etc transmitter charger sitting in a box in the garage. Then solder on a matching connector.

Personally, I'd go with the 2S 2200mAh LiPo

R/C Pilot 304 10-30-2019 05:18 AM

I wouldn’t worry to much about the “6”, it’s DSM and they haven’t made recievers for it for over ten years. The DX-7 although old can still be used, programming is outdated but all current Spektrum recievers are backwards compatible with DSM2. Be aware that Futaba chargers are wired differently than what this radio will use ( it’s based on an older JR ) you will need center pin negative, outer ring positive.

ticedoff8 10-30-2019 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by R/C Pilot 304 (Post 12560197)
... Be aware that Futaba chargers are wired differently than what this radio will use ( it’s based on an older JR ) you will need center pin negative, outer ring positive.

The PDF I attached documents the pin-out for the barrel plug needed to plug into the transmitter.
But, it does not document the size (diameter) - that may be trial and error until he finds one.

AnthonyWS 10-30-2019 05:53 PM

Thanks for the help

Thanks very much for the help. I am so out of sync with RC stuff. Thank goodness for your help.

regards
Anthony