RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Batteries & Chargers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/batteries-chargers-84/)
-   -   FMA Cellpro 4S Lipo Charger (call for all users) (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/batteries-chargers-84/6544493-fma-cellpro-4s-lipo-charger-call-all-users.html)

Khatsalano 10-27-2007 12:18 AM

FMA Cellpro 4S Lipo Charger (call for all users)

So, this thing arrived today via UPS and man is it the BOMB. It does it all.. charges at speed (up to 3.0C charge rate), auto adjusts the voltage and shutoffs, has a slick LCD screen to show you what is going on with each individual cell, all at an affordable price. You can even plug in a hot battery right after you fly and it's still kosher. Anyone else out there using this thing? What are your thoughts?

The only obstacle I've run into is that 2 out of my 4 batteries apparently are so out of balance it triggers the "Safety Charge" mode... how annoying. Maybe it's because they were just out of balance from the stock E-Flite charger, or maybe they are just bad batts, not sure.

- K

pilotpete2 10-27-2007 10:11 AM

RE: FMA Cellpro 4S Lipo Charger (call for all users)

Do those packs ever come back into balance and if they do, do they end up out way out of balance as soon as you use them?
It sounds as though those packs may be toast[&o]
Good luck,
Pete

bldrums 10-27-2007 10:21 AM

Ok , thats what I am ordering !! FMA Cell Pro :D

Only question I have is what else I should order to connect my EFlight battery packs. ??
EFlight 2200 3S
Eflight 800 2S

Also what power supply is recommended. ??

Thanks yall,
Bielle

pilotpete2 10-27-2007 10:26 AM

For a power supply, any decent regulated supply of at least 5 Amp. output or better. A converted PC supply is a good choice.

Adapter,
http://www.fmadirect.com/detail.htm?...196&section=45
Good luck,
Pete

Khatsalano 10-27-2007 10:45 AM

Don't forget to order FMA's adapters for the type of battery you need yea! E-flite batteries take the GP adapter. I am a big fan of plug-and-play without having to hack apart stuff and modify stuff and solder stuff... I am here to enjoy the hobby as a pilot, not a mechanic (for now at least!). : ) That's why products like the Cellpro, batteries from MaxAmps with pre-soldered Deans connectors, and the power source below, no tinkering:

I am using a Samlex regulated DC power supply: [link=http://shop4.outpost.com/{RJ-9ImUoWJ8aIf3eKnE0Xg**.node3}/product/1975145;jsessionid=RJ-9ImUoWJ8aIf3eKnE0Xg**.node3?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RS LT_PG]BAM! Click me.[/link]

http://image.ak.outpost.com/art/prod...975145.box.GIF

The CellPro 4S came with both banana plugs and alligator clips to connect to the power source, so that was quite convenient. I will report back after today on how the cells turned out after the CellPro rebalanced/restored them.

- K

MrMulligan 10-27-2007 03:03 PM

I have a couple of these great chargers and the necessary adapters. I was charging a 2100 pack once and noticed that one cell was out of balance. At 90% of charge, the charger beeped once and went into balance mode. After about half an hour the music started signifying end of charge and sure enough, all treee cells were in perfect balance. The only charger I use.

bkdavy 10-27-2007 04:33 PM

When I went shopping for a LiPo charger earlier this year, I also settled on the CellPro 4S. It is an excellent charger. The only drawback is that it only charges one battery at a time. The serious electric flyers at our field have 2 or 3 of these, and can fly pretty much continuosly.

Brad

rjb63 10-30-2007 11:45 AM

The CellPro 4S was recommended to me and I like it. I still follow the safety rules for charging location, etc., but it seems like a very safe charging device. I would like it to have a "discharge" function to prepare batteries for the "storage mode," but otherwise it's fine (I've been spoiled over the years by having the LITCO Alpha 4 for the nicads!) :D

I also purchased the 36" extension (handy for charging in the fireplace) and also the the Thunderpower adapter. (In addition I originally bought the "generic" adapter and so far that was an unnecessary purchase ... mistake?)

Ray

Learning more each day!

scheibler 10-30-2007 12:33 PM

I really like this charger and think I will get it instead of the EOS 5iDP charger.

what adapter should I buy to charge maxamps batteries with deans ultra plugs...

CrashGaalaas 10-30-2007 01:11 PM

When I first got my CellPro 4s, I noticed that all my batteries were noticibly out of balance.
After the first charge, they have remained well balanced ever since.

I liked it so much that I bought a second one that indeed can charge at 3c as well as charge A123 batteries.

Next step will be to try some A123's

rjb63 10-30-2007 01:41 PM

ORIGINAL: scheibler

I really like this charger and think I will get it instead of the EOS 5iDP charger.

what adapter should I buy to charge maxamps batteries with deans ultra plugs...
The FMA Direct website lists all their adapters and LiPo brands they support. Make sure you look under "more" on each adapter for a full listing of brands.

The Deans connectors do not matter: The batteries are charged via the balancing plugs.

Ray

Learning more each day

Khatsalano 10-30-2007 07:19 PM

I have the same observation, at first all my batteries were out of balance because I was using the E-flite stock charger... but now that it has gone through a couple cycles on the CellPro 4S, everything stays in balance very well. Sweet.

bldrums 11-01-2007 01:38 PM

Well I got my FMA Cell Pro and I am not understanding why the read out looks like this:

1= 0.86v 2=0.23v
but there is no 3= on the display. I am connectiing to 3S Lipos.

Red Scholefield 11-01-2007 01:49 PM

ORIGINAL: bldrums

Well I got my FMA Cell Pro and I am not understanding why the read out looks like this:

1= 0.86v 2=0.23v
but there is no 3= on the display. I am connectiing to 3S Lipos.
Check the battery voltage with a voltmeter. If you don't have at least 7.5 volts then your battery may be bad. Are you using the proper adpater? It sounds like the CellPro is not connecting to all the cells or their is a broken wire somewhere. Have you checked with another battery to see what you get?

bldrums 11-01-2007 02:08 PM

I did try 2 batteries and I bought 2 adapters, all gave the same results. My AccuCycle charger was telling me the end of charge voltages to be 12.123 and 12.414 respectively ( 1800mAh & 2200mAh packs ) The stock ParkZone charger beep 3 x indicating 3S packs and the Equinox balancer displays 3 leds when connected. Now, Im not sure I,m ready to put the Volt meter to the Lipos YET. Gonna need a little tutorial first:)

bldrums 11-01-2007 02:46 PM

Red,
OK , according to FMA tech service they sent me the wrong adapters.. correct ones on the way.!! :DNot a biggie.

Thanks for your help, sorry I sent you on a wild goose chase.!:):eek:

Beil

Red , one more thing, If you want to delete my posts on this "false alarm" please feel free so I dont clutter the board.

Red Scholefield 11-01-2007 02:47 PM

What brand of batteries are you having a problem with?

bldrums 11-02-2007 04:48 PM

Does anyone know how to convet the CP-CS adapter to a CP-GP ?

Thanks,
Bielle

mrasmm 11-02-2007 06:10 PM

Does anyone know how to convet the CP-CS adapter to a CP-GP ?

Thanks,
Bielle

cp-cs to cp-gp?

I'm guessing gp is great planes, but I really have no idea on the other ones (cs maybe sommon sense? but if so, what version?). Are you talking about the balance connector?

you may also mean convert =)

I'd be glad to help, just post back what you mean by the acronyms if that's what they are

lol, cp is probably cell pro =P that one went right over my head =P

bldrums 11-02-2007 07:56 PM

question for anyone familiar with the FMA Cell Pro ( product line.

mrasmm 11-03-2007 03:55 AM

convert c-o-n-v-e-r-t convert

This is a simple question for anyone familiar with the FMA Cell Pro ( this thread ) product line.

Thanks anyway

uhhhh OK then =P

find your answers elsewhere, but don't bother asking if you can't explain what your acronyms mean

bldrums 11-03-2007 10:05 AM

On the FMA Cell Pro site the parts in question are as follows: ( taken from the web page )

For additional information about battery pack compatibility for the CP-CS adapter, click here $9.95
For additional information about battery pack compatibility for the CP-GP adapter, click here. $9.95

IN STOCK

I did, however get the information I need, and ,thank you for trying. Sorry about the spelling error
Have a nice day,;)
Beille

bldrums 11-08-2007 08:24 AM

Khatsalano

Thanks to you and others who recommended the FMA cellpro. I'm new at electric rc and good info from experienced modelers is a must. ( of course, thats what RCU is all about. ) The folks at FMA do deserve some good feedback here. I,m amazed at what that little "box" can do!!

You guys have a good one ;)

Beille

Red Scholefield 11-08-2007 09:11 AM

If you don't have your CellPro yet, they are on sale now for $60. Use Promo Code SP111507 when you order. This price good until Nov 15th.

bldrums 11-08-2007 09:22 AM

Thanks Red!! One more wont be too many for sure:D