RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Batteries & Chargers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/batteries-chargers-84/)
-   -   what is cycle a lipo battery, and why is it important? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/batteries-chargers-84/9469346-what-cycle-lipo-battery-why-important.html)

jcervantes11 02-02-2010 06:52 AM

what is cycle a lipo battery, and why is it important?

What is cycle a lipo battery, and why is it important? Thanks

TedMo 02-02-2010 10:59 AM

RE: what is cycle a lipo battery, and why is it important?

Actually you do not cycle LiPo's you balance charge them. That's the very important thing with Li Po's.

BarracudaHockey 02-02-2010 05:08 PM

A cycle discharging and charging a battery but as he said, LiPo batteries have a given number of useful cycles, so cycling them does nothing be decrease that count without benefitting the battery.

jcervantes11 02-02-2010 05:49 PM

Okay cycling mean charging up and the same time balacing? Which my charger does it by it self. Am I correct?

guver 02-02-2010 05:55 PM

No, cycling is repeated Charge and Discharge (or discharge and charge)

1 D<C or 1 C<D is a cycle.

jcervantes11 02-02-2010 06:05 PM

So with my charger when i charge a battery, then i discharge manualing is cycling?

guver 02-02-2010 06:11 PM

Yes, that would be one complete cycle and is not recommended. The term "cycling" usually has the understanding that it is an automatic operation requiring only one push of the start button.

ggcrandall1 02-04-2010 12:38 PM

Usually chargers incorporate cycling, to condition NiMh or NiCad batteries. This usually consists of a charge fallowed by a discharge, or a discharge followed by a discharge. This feature was incorporated when NiCad batteries developed a "memory" which was less than it's capacity. Cycling was to allow the battery to return to it's original capacity.

Usually LiPo batteries are not cycled. However if a LiPo is not going to be used for a couple of weeks it should be discharged to what is referred to a storage charge. This is usually 3.85 volts per cell. Leaving a LiPo fully charged or discharged for long periods of time wil shorten the battery life.l

Glen

Guillermo Ibanez 02-04-2010 10:21 PM

ORIGINAL: ggcrandall1

Usually chargers incorporate cycling, to condition NiMh or NiCad batteries. This usually consists of a charge fallowed by a discharge, or a discharge followed by a discharge. This feature was incorporated when NiCad batteries developed a "memory" which was less than it's capacity. Cycling was to allow the battery to return to it's original capacity.

Usually LiPo batteries are not cycled. However if a LiPo is not going to be used for a couple of weeks it should be discharged to what is referred to a storage charge. This is usually 3.85 volts per cell. Leaving a LiPo fully charged or discharged for long periods of time wil shorten the battery life.l

Glen
OK

But if I have 3 new LiPo batteries, never charged for my $ 10k+ jet just about to maiden, should I charge and discharge them just for testing their condition or should I rely my investment to the battery manufacturer?

I think my choice is to test the battery at least for one cycle, even if I am going to reduce their life a little rather than maiden my jet with no tested batteries even if they are new.

Am I OK or am I wrong?

I have the suggested manufacturer charger (Thunder Power batteries and Thunder Power TP-610C charger/Discharger
<br type="_moz" />

ggcrandall1 02-04-2010 11:07 PM

[/quote]

OK

But if I have 3 new LiPo batteries, never charged for my $ 10k+ jet just about to maiden, should I charge and discharge them just for testing their condition or should I rely my investment to the battery manufacturer?

I think my choice is to test the battery at least for one cycle, even if I am going to reduce their life a little rather than maiden my jet with no tested batteries even if they are new.

Am I OK or am I wrong?

I have the suggested manufacturer charger (Thunder Power batteries and Thunder Power TP-610C charger/Discharger
<br type=''_moz'' />
[/quote]

Sure, since they are new go ahead and cycle them a couple of times. I was just saying that cycling LiPo's isn't necessary to their health.

Glen

sfaust 10-09-2019 05:51 AM

Old thread, but since I ran across it others might too. So...

Cycling a LiPo is good for a number or reasons, but as mentioned 'conditioning' the battery is not one of them for LiPos. I always cycle my batteries when first purchased, and then once or twice during the season if in constant use, or at least the beginning of the season for lesser used packs. When new, it validates the capacity and condition of the pack so I know what the actual capacity is and its internal resistance. Then every so often I cycle it again to compare against its original capacity and resistance to check the health of the pack and record the new actual capacity, which is usually slightly less. If I see a large increase in resistance or decrease in capacity it lets me know the pack is probably better used for bench testings or other non-critical uses.

With LiFe batteries, its far more important to know what the actual capacity is for the pack, and how much is used for each flight (in the case of a receiver pack), since one can't really tell reliably where they are with regard to capacity by a simple voltage test. The discharge curve is pretty flat until the very end, and voltage varies more based on load. Knowing for example that a LiFe has a true 2420mAh of capacity, and each flight uses 300mAh, we know we have about 8 flights worth of capacity. We can then count 3 flights as reserve, and know 5 lights on that pack would be safe. If we don't cycle the LiFe every so often, and the capacity drops over time the reserve is gone, and eventually the pack may only support 4 flights, yet the pilot is still thinking 5 flights is safe.

LiPo or LiFe, I do cycle the packs often (more so in LiFe, less so on LiPo) just to know its condition and overall health. It's like my fuel tanks, I wan't to know how much fuel I can put in there, how much I take out on a flight, and know if there is any change or loss over time. Luckily, all my fuel tanks are clear :)

ticedoff8 10-11-2019 05:07 PM

Wow. This has go to be some kind of record.
9 years and 7 months.
"Walking Dead"

sfaust 10-11-2019 05:25 PM

It probably is! 😁 And yet the information is still pertinent and useful. Gotta love forums for that reason, the info sticks around to be continually helpful to others rather than lost minutes after a live conversation.