Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Old trainer rebuilt, need help with ID

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Old trainer rebuilt, need help with ID

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 08:44 PM
Phoenixangel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old trainer rebuilt, need help with ID

Guys I was given this plane that my wifes father built in the 80s. He and his son were going to learn to fly but they were forced to move and it never got flown.
He died having it never being removed from the crate they built to ship it in. I am honored that my brother in law decided to give it to me.

I have gone over it with a fine tooth comb.I am nearing maiden flight but I would like to know what it is, I know it is a SIG, other then that I am clueless. I also would like to know what is the proper CG for it if anyone has any idea. If not ill put it at the spar.

All the radio gear was Kraft AM stuff and servos were all seized. It never had an engine I am using an old magnum .52 4 stroke seems like it should be perfect.

If you guys could be of help on the ID and the CG and maybe any idea what the cowl is supposed to look like....... I thank you very very much.

*edit* Lol do not worry the blue spinner is history, it is wearing black now.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18531.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	1504437   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92146.jpg
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	1504438   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62713.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	1504439   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33791.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	1504440  
Old 09-20-2010, 09:18 PM
noveldoc
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Old trainer rebuilt, need help with ID

Cannot ID the plane but that elevator push rod set up with the rod exiting a gap in the rear fuse is classic Carl Goldberg design. I remember it from my Gentle Lady glider.

Maybe if there is some sort of display of old Goldberg designs.

Tom
Old 09-20-2010, 09:24 PM
Phoenixangel

It is a sig kit for sure, its stamped on the wood in places it says more but its faded away and smaller then the sig so I can not make it out.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:24 PM
cfircav8r
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks like an old school Kadet. I think they updated the look when they went to the MKII. I also believe they had an ABS cowl that may still be offered for the MKII.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:38 PM
noveldoc

[size=4][size=2]You have a Sig Kadet Mk I. See below.

Tom

Name:	If10433.jpg
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	1504464   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29155.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	1504465  
Old 09-20-2010, 09:45 PM
noveldoc

Sorry about the double post. You have a Sig Kadet Mk I.

Original was a 3 channel so appears strip ailerons were added.

Tom
Old 09-20-2010, 10:07 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Yep, it's the MK I. The MK II has a different tail on it.

Ken
Old 09-20-2010, 10:22 PM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

PA what a great find of a wonderfull old airplane and seems to be well built as well as attractive. The fact you will be doing the maiden on the ship that was built by your father in law gefore his passing makes it even that much better. I love these kind of stories of refurbishments or recoverys.

Noveldoc did nail the airplane. I have currently flown a MK 11 virtually the same airframe but a different tail shape and ailerons as stock with a plastic cowl that I donated for a prize at one of our events. The gentleman completed it with a LA 46 and this engine makes the airplane a bit of a rocket and not as much fun to fly as say another I flew several years ago with an appropriate modern 25, an os FX. The Kaydet MK 1 or 11's are smaller airplanes that a typical 40/46 trainer and overpowering them take away some of the character of this excellent trainer. I would suggest the same as I did in another thread just the other day with a Mk 11 and the perfect engine for these airplanes would be either the new .25 or .35Ax. The magnum is really overkill that will make the airplane less than it could be.

John
Old 09-20-2010, 10:25 PM
Phoenixangel

Thanks everyone, knowing what it actually is, well thats nice, where should I put the CoG before I fly ??
Old 09-20-2010, 10:33 PM
JohnBuckner

ORIGINAL: Phoenixangel

Thanks everyone, knowing what it actually is, well thats nice, where should I put the CoG before I fly ??

25% Mac at the spar is perfect
Old 09-20-2010, 10:36 PM
Phoenixangel

John, I only have the magnum 4 stroke to work with at the moment, I will be turning large diameter low pitch, have several variations to try.

Any suggestions are welcome. It is a really big deal to the wifes family, they do not part easily with treasures from Dad. I really took my time making sure it is solid.

It seems he really knew what he was doing and took care to build this thing well. Thanks all.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:20 AM
noveldoc

Other Sig trainers balance on front of main spar.

Have flown a Magnum 52 on a Seniorita. Should work fine if you throttle back.

Tom
Old 09-21-2010, 08:49 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have gone over it with a fine tooth comb.I am nearing maiden flight but I would like to know what it is, I know it is a SIG, other then that I am clueless. I also would like to know what is the proper CG for it if anyone has any idea. If not ill put it at the spar.

All the radio gear was Kraft AM stuff and servos were all seized. It never had an engine I am using an old magnum .52 4 stroke seems like it should be perfect.

The model is an early Sig Kadet. Those first kadets were 3 channel as one post shows a picture of the kit and it says "Up to 3 channels." In the '70s it was the primary Trainer, and actually IMO far better than the Goldberg Falcon 56 for the no-buddy-cord days.
As I look at your model, it appears to have ailerons. and since I see no evidence of servos in the wing, I assume the old thing of using torque rods from the inside do the trick.

One thing that the original Kadet really needed, but SIG never made the change until some later versions, is DOWNTHRUST.
Your Kadet, especially with that BIG engine, needs a minimum of 5° downthrust. It will make the flying and trimming a whole lot easier. Using the standard .40s of the era, early '70s, the downthrust did not fit the cowls, so mostly we convinced the newbies to rid themselves of the cowl and set the downthrust in. Those that refused to do so, usually crashed quickly (no buddy cords back then) and had to rebuild.
The downthrust allows the engine to pull down when powered up, and revert to trim when at idle. You will trim some "up" when under power, then when you idle back the trim takes over and the model doesn't try to dive out of the sky. You can either play with the downthrust and get it fine tuned or just try some and go with a "Good 'Nuff" amount. But a straight thrust line will allow that flat bottom wing to make life "Interesting".
Old 09-21-2010, 03:07 PM
Phoenixangel

I took it out today, trimming was....interesting.... I finally got it flying really nice. I like this plane, and it is good that the wife was there to see "dads" old plane.

The Wife is getting good at catching photos of things. That makes me happy LOL

Forgive the state of the field, we have like 3 people that use it currently, more members but no one goes out..ever......before I had my heart surgery it was better. I was mowing regular at least

Name:	Us54113.jpg
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	1504765   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pl32646.jpg
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	1504766   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92037.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	1504767  
Old 09-21-2010, 03:50 PM
JohnBuckner

Congratulation PA on the success especially for your wife. that no doubt will mean a lot to her even if she is not into the airplanes.

Hoss is quite right you probably could use some downthrust anyway don,t be embarassed about your field it looks fine.

Your comment about its apparent non use does disturb me and perhaps you can be the spark to to get things going agine. There are numerous tricks to get it together agine when that kind of malaise sets in. A simple participatory event beyond just a fly in.

Four years ago I found our local field rapidly being infected with that kind of apathy. We needed a 'competition' event that everyone with any kind of airplane could take part in even those who could not really fly yet and maybe even win. Then the revelation hit, who needs to fly? forget the wings. Yep wingless trainer races on the runway two cones say hundred and fifty feet apart. Line them up two at a time three or four at a time and drop the flag. First across the line in five laps wins. We use to do ten most most of the competition is upside down perhaps with a broken props by then to the tune of raucus laughter.

That Kadet MK 11 kit I mentioned earlier I donated for first of our wingless races.

This simple event has amazingly enough gotten more people out to fly for some reason and has been a staple with us ever since.

So PA go ahead can you be a spark plug ?[8D]

John
Old 09-21-2010, 07:59 PM
Phoenixangel

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

Congratulation PA on the success especially for your wife. that no doubt will mean a lot to her even if she is not into the airplanes.

Hoss is quite right you probably could use some downthrust anyway don,t be embarassed about your field it looks fine.

Your comment about its apparent non use does disturb me and perhaps you can be the spark to to get things going agine. There are numerous tricks to get it together agine when that kind of malaise sets in. A simple participatory event beyond just a fly in.

Four years ago I found our local field rapidly being infected with that kind of apathy. We needed a 'competition' event that everyone with any kind of airplane could take part in even those who could not really fly yet and maybe even win. Then the revelation hit, who needs to fly? forget the wings. Yep wingless trainer races on the runway two cones say hundred and fifty feet apart. Line them up two at a time three or four at a time and drop the flag. First across the line in five laps wins. We use to do ten most most of the competition is upside down perhaps with a broken props by then to the tune of raucus laughter.

That Kadet MK 11 kit I mentioned earlier I donated for first of our wingless races.

This simple event has amazingly enough gotten more people out to fly for some reason and has been a staple with us ever since.

So PA go ahead can you be a spark plug ?[8D]

John

I would love to get something going out here where I fly. At one time this field was top of the line, it is sanctioned and actually a really nice field it has just been neglected. I have only been a member since March 09. This Sunday the 26th is an annual fun fly and dinner. I sure hope lots attend.

I will call and throw some ideas around, a wingless race would be to funny. Brilliant idea ROFL.