Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Is Spektrum worth it?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Is Spektrum worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 03:28 AM
rcflip

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Is Spektrum worth it?

Ive been flying and not posting in forums... what about futaba software bugs, google them, they are out there apparently...
Old 10-25-2010, 03:29 AM
rcflip

When are you people going to realise that you are clutching at straws between all the major radios these days, buy one you like the look and feel of, they ALL work flawlessly.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:51 AM
TimBle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: vasek

Hey Charlie,
to my knowledge the overheating was caused by Rx exposed to sun heat (let's say you had a black canopy and the rx was behind that AND you lived in Texas and it was scorching hot...) that was back then, i believe the problem has been remedied since. I would always protect my plane from the sun anyway. Just a heads up
ORIGINAL: Charlie P.

Lost a plane to an overheating problem . . .
Futaba 2.4gHz has a receiveroverheating problem? First I've heard. What voltage were you running it at? I have four 2.4 gHz Futaba receivers, three on 4.8v and one on 6.0v and I haven't noticed a heat problem.
Not sure that this was the cause. My Futaba Rep said that the overheating was caused by people switching from FM systems to 2.4 and using FM Rx protection principles which the FASST Rx did not like i.e.

- wrapping up in foam to protect from vibration. Futaba ssays this is a no no. The FASST recievers have not ceramic components that can crack due to vibration. they advise mounting on four velcro (3M Dual Lock) feet. The foam backing provides enough vibration damping to prevent dry joints.

- The foam wraping lso prevents air circulating around the reciever.

The problem was simply user behaviour needed to change. The FASSTrecivers are working continuously therefore they do get warmer than an FM reciever but not so warm that they could fail although, initially a few users did have a reciever experience problems. Futaba rectified the issue by moding the casing and issueing an advisory bulletin on how to mount the Rx.

I mount all my FASSTRx direct to the equipment tray in the fuselage on 4 Dual Lock velcro feet. No issues.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:07 AM
siberianhusky

LOL in response to rcflip with they all work flawlessly! well they don't
I'm a boat guy who runs a new Spektrum surface radio, there is one spot at our pond that no 2.4 radio works, Hobby King, Spektrum, Futaba or the one that comes with the SV 27 boat, also 2.4. As soon as you get into this one corner all radios lose bind! Luckily it is an area where you really shouldn't be because of weeds and a rocky shoreline. Walk 50 yards away from the driving platform and you get perfect reception in that one spot, weird because the spot is only about 50' diameter. From the driving spot you get no reception there with any system!
To say they all work flawlessly is very misleading as none of them do!
I read a lot of posts about radios and electronics that aren't boat related, always find some good info.
Mine is the Surface TX that works with air and surface rx's. Makes no difference what rx I use this one spot has no reception.
I'm willing to bet flyers lose signal a lot more that they think they do, they just don't notice it because the plane gets out of that area quickly rebinds and keeps flying. My boats for safety all cut the throttle and turn full right as soon as you lose signal, thats very noticable in a boat, it will stop dead n a few feet and not get out of the dead spot.
No radio system is perfect simple as that, This is my first non Futaba radio in over 20 years of rc, got it because of features vs. value against what Futaba was offering last year. That being said if the Futaba available now was out then I'd have bought it just because I've always used Futaba, I am happy with Spektrum and will be sticking with them until the next latest and greatest technology comes out. Good radio, Spektrum had some early issues, they were up front about it and solved the problems, better than some companies who would have blamed the end user!
Find the one you like and buy it if you need a new radio, they are all good but non are flawless by a long shot! 2.4 is not the be all end all for RC, Cell phones drop calls all the time and they all operate on 2.4! A bad install will not care about the radio brand, route the antennae wrong and you will have problems, so many guys think these things are magic and you can just toss the radio gear in and you will never have a problem.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:24 AM
rcflip

Who cares about boats... boats present a whole new set of variables. you know the problems a body of water presents a radio system...

This is a plane forum, and even if you are correct what is the alternative, go back to control line???

In the air 2.4 works flawlessly, all flavors of it... even a pilot with little experience would know if his plane went into failsafe.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:44 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

This topic has been debated so often in this forum that it's difficult to count the number of times. What usually happens is that it begins to get nasty and then, as I noted earlier, a discussion about Spektrum vs Futaba, or JR vs Hitec, or whatever combination.. the old "Ford vs Chevy" debate.

I don't appreciate anyone coming in here and making a statement like the above. No matter what the discussion is at hand, anyone can come in here and offer something that may or may not add to the discussion without being chastized for doing so.

Please note that I have a Seawind EP with a Spektrum AR6200 and my transmitter is a Spektrum DX6i. That's a plane that takes off and lands on WATER. So, his disucssion about water has some applicability. Multipath happens, even over land.

Keep it simple and without going negative or I'll close it down in a heartbeat.

As I said, this has been debated so often, it's difficult to count. If it gets negative, I'll close it down and you can search the forums for additional info.

CGr, Beginners Forum Moderator.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:30 PM
hammbone316
My Feedback: (2)

Do you want the bottom line without all of the B.S. with it then listen because everybody keeps leaving one thing out. I use a futaba 9C with DSM2 and I fly everything from 40 sizes to 1/4 scale with it. Dsm2 works very well just don't let the receiver do what is called brown out or drop voltage even for just half a second. The easy and cheap way to fix this is to just use a high voltage battery like a 6 volt as I do 2300 to 2700 mAh. Everyone has the right to put in there own two cents, but no matter what do your own research and make your own mind up don't let someone else try to tell you what to buy. Because in one part of the country you may see all JR and the other Futaba and so on. Hitec, JR, and Spektrum are all Horizon hobby brands so just stop for a minute and use your head and think about it.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:14 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hitec may be sold by Horizon but it is not an exclusive Horizon brand for you can buy Hitec at Tower Hobbies or many other places also.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:00 PM
CGRetired

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXXCZ3&P=7
Old 10-25-2010, 08:30 PM
FILE IFR

ORIGINAL: siberianhusky

Cell phones drop calls all the time and they all operate on 2.4!
Cell phones use the UHF/MHz band.

I think you're confusing cellular phones to cordless phones
Old 10-26-2010, 02:01 PM
opjose

Remember that along with the transmitter you'll have to also buy new receivers for your existing planes, if you switch brands.

Stick with the Spektrum or JR radios and use the money that you'll save in NOT replacing your existing receivers towards a higher end Spectrum or JR DSM2 TX with more model memory.

The extra features, mixing and reliability will make the new TX pay for itself.

Old 10-26-2010, 04:14 PM
hammbone316
My Feedback: (2)

Yes tower hobbies may sell hitec but tower is no different than any other hobby store they are just an on-line mail order store. We could set here and type and debate about this for the next year but where will it get us no where. Everyone has that certain brand of radio or radio equipment that they like so in my eyes that's all that matters use what you like have good luck with. Because the way that I feel about things as long as you do your research about the product that you are or may be buying then you should know the pros and cons and if there is any problems with it before you use it.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:21 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: FILE IFR

ORIGINAL: siberianhusky

Cell phones drop calls all the time and they all operate on 2.4!
Cell phones use the UHF/MHz band.

I think you're confusing cellular phones to cordless phones

Also cell phones tend to drop calls because of range limits and obstructions that both tend not to apply to our models....

Unless you are into UAV's but that's a completely different kettle of fish...

Old 10-26-2010, 08:54 PM
FILE IFR

ORIGINAL: opjose

Also cell phones tend to drop calls because of range limits and obstructions that both tend not to apply to our models....
True, but you missed an important piece of the statement and my comment to him... siberianhusky claims all cell phones operate on the 2.4 GHz band.....
Old 10-27-2010, 12:14 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: FILE IFR

True, but you missed an important piece of the statement and my comment to him... siberianhusky claims all cell phones operate on the 2.4 GHz band.....
Nope didn't miss it.

I had absolutely no issue with what you posted which succintly detailed the error.

However I didn't want the "dropped call" analogy to be applied to our equipment....

We may see a "frame drop", but RC radios deal with this well.

We also operate our 2.4 equipment well within the ( visual) range needed to assure no low signal "disconnects", which is something that cell phone users NEVER do.

The anemic transmitters on our cell phones are good to what? 2-4 miles and only more under ideal conditions... 11 miles at most for a high power car phone.

That's why we get "dropped calls", to avoid them we would need the entire country COVERED in cell towers...
oh wait, we are almost there! Ugh.

Old 10-27-2010, 12:41 PM
CGRetired

Not only that, but the FAA is adding equipment to cell towers all over the country that add to the mix... ADS-B at 978 MHz and 1090MHz operation. It's getting congested out there (airwaves wise).

CGr.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:25 PM
1Knoxville

Spend the extra cash and get a 2.4 ghz.   Spektrum or Futaba both make great radios

Futaba user for 15 years
[/b]
Old 10-27-2010, 08:30 PM
CGRetired

Yeah, that's what I keep repeating time and time again. You just can't go wrong with anything you select. They are all very good. I just happen to have Airtronics and Spektrum. Others favor JR..while others... well, you know the rest.

Pick out one, fly with it, enjoy it!!