Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Phoenix Extra 330S ARF .61-.91 Rudder Help!!

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Phoenix Extra 330S ARF .61-.91 Rudder Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 09:17 PM
nrad2000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Phoenix Extra 330S ARF .61-.91 Rudder Help!!

sorry, I kept saying 4-40. it's an 8-32. thought it was going to be long enough but it was way way too short. Off to the hardware store I go tomorrow.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:19 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

would expect them to have pre-drilled that one hole. And would expect there to be a decently large hardwood piece as part of the rudder, and it have the hole pretty much centered in it.

From what you've described so far, Phoenix has done a pretty poor job providing ARFable stuff.

They should at least give some sensible and accurate way for the hole to be located. As for the hardwood hidden under the covering... a straight pin should answer that question.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:23 PM
da Rock

ORIGINAL: nrad2000

sorry, I kept saying 4-40. it's an 8-32. thought it was going to be long enough but it was way way too short. Off to the hardware store I go tomorrow.

That size shows they at least understand the loads back there. With luck they understood that when they were piecing the rudder together.

Having a strong bolt is good, if it is supported with strength, and over a large enough area. We know for sure the bolt and washers are strong enough. If the washer however is tightened down on balsa...... It would be a huge mistake, but wouldn't be a big surprise seeing what they've done so far.

It is fun actually, isn't it.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:31 PM
nrad2000

There was nothing pre-drilled on this plane. but for me that was expected. I have built a Seagull Decathlon and that has no holes. I have built a Great Planes Escapade and that came with no holes. Also, my Hobbico Avistar (converted to a tail dragger) came with no holes. I have an Aero-works Yak 54 120 on order and that too I'm expecting no holes. I'm not afraid of drilling holes. I love wood working. Much cheaper and easier to work with than my heli's.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:44 PM
da Rock

The drilling isn't the major problem. They know (or should know) exactly where the best place is for the hole. They know where they put the pushrod exit holes and where they want the servos etc.... Matter of fact, they located their exit holes with those locations as the basis.

It's the locating that really is more than ARF assembly should require. But if it keeps the cost down....

I've put together a couple of Phoenix so have experienced the joys of the experience. So gotta suggest again you look for hardwood where the rudder horns are going.

see ya'
Old 10-25-2010, 08:38 AM
TimBle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Phoenix Seagull, Black Horse, all use the same system on their 60 -90 size arf's.

In the kit will be the drilling guide. It's a plastic top hot looking thingy with a through hole.  The flange must line up with the chafered edge on the control surface. YOu then drill the hole using that guide.

Your rudder control horns are for pull pull and there wil be a threaded rod to fit. In the front of the Instruction manual is a list of the parts given.
From time to time there is a mix up and one part is left out. Nog biggy.

everything else is as DaRcok decribes it.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:51 PM
nrad2000

Hmmm, All the hardware on the plane is 3mm metrics. I thought it was 4-40. Can't find 3mm metrics threaded rods. I may just buy the dubro HD pull pull system for the 40 - 90 size.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:32 AM
TimBle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ah yes, the Phoenix kits use metric components, that could be a problem for you.

I replaced the pull pull system that came with my Cmpro Swallow with a Dubro system. Works just fine.

Arf's do throw these challenges at us but  I would drop Hobbico a mail and explain to them that parts are missing. I hear they are pretty good at replacing bits or supplying what is needed. May not need to cost you a cent.