Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

ElectroStik

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

ElectroStik

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 08:53 PM
mrcoolpop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ElectroStik

Looking for anyone that have a ElectroStik. Thinking about buying one but would like to know about the pros and cons if any.

Thanks,
Old 10-24-2010, 10:16 PM
MrMulligan
My Feedback: (314)

Default RE: ElectroStik

I have one with an AXi motor instead of the Rimfire. It's a beautiful flying plane. I also use 4 cell A123 battery packs. I think the Electrostik RXR is a great bargain. You get the plane,motor,servos, and ESC. It's a large aircraft, almost.40 size and best of all, it's a Stik. They've been kitted in all sizes and they fly great.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:19 AM
mrcoolpop

Is the AXi moter better than the Rimfire and also how much flying time can you get on one flight?
Old 10-25-2010, 06:08 PM
MrMulligan

When I originally bought this plane, I wanted to use an AXi 2826 but found the firewall wouldn't take the AXi's "X" mount. I bought the recommended Rimfire motor but since I was also going to use a Castle ESC and separate BEC, I changed the connectors on the motor to Sermos. I don't solder well, I have a crimper for the Sermos. Anyway, the motor would only turn a half-turn then nothing. I called Tower and they said to send it back. Same thing with the new one. This time they told me to keep the motor and they sent a new one. Same thing with the third. This time they told me I had burned out the first one and being tired of the hassle, I got my money back. I still didn't want to destroy the firewall and found the Electrifly motor mount, the medium one, fit. It didn't fit the AXi at the front, though, but a bit of work with a Dremel and a carbide bit solved that. Now this may sound that the Rimfire motors are no good. I found out something interesting later. A guy on RCU was looking for a Rimfire that he could rewind as an experiment. It was the size that Tower told me to keep. We made a deal and I sent it to him including the connectors I had cut off. About a week later, he emailed me and told me that he had soldered on the connectors and that he decided to try the motor. It worked perfectly. He determined that the Rimfire uses magnet wire for the turns and continues on to the connector. Magnet wire has a coating and since I was crimping, there was almost no contact. Soldering burns off the coating. Anyway, I still have a great flying plane that will do about 10 minutes on a 4cell A123pack. I've always had Sticks since I got into R/C about 40 years ago. I haven't had a bad flying one. The best was a Little Stik I bought at a club auction with an Enya motor. Couldn't make the Enya run right so replaced it with a Magnum .25. Flew it for ten years and sold it at the club auction. It showed up the next year, minus the motor and was sold again. I think it's still flying.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:34 PM
mrcoolpop

Ok Mulligan,
Thanks for all the good info and I feel much better about purchasing the Stik.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:33 PM
bassmanh
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hi,

i have had mine for a almost 2 years and love it it flies great and does most everything i ask of it...... its a great deal over all BUT when i got mine 2 of the servos were stripped so 1 call to tower and they sent me 3 new hobbico servos to replace the electrifly ones that had stripped.

just make sure you cycle the servos right and way and stress test them good before you fly.. (unless they updated servos)

have fun and enjoy it.... its a great little big plane

bass
Old 11-04-2010, 10:06 PM
mrcoolpop

I purchase the electrostik and during the assembly I unplug the ESC from the brushless motor. The motor has 3 different colors but the ESC has all black wires. Do certain black wires go to a specific color or does it matter?
Old 11-04-2010, 10:15 PM
MrMulligan

Just connect the wires. Make sure the prop is not installed. Connect the battery and determine which direction the motor is turning. If it is reversed, unplug and switch any two motor wires. DO NOT switch the battery wires. That would cost you your ESC.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:33 AM
mrcoolpop

But how do I determine which wire is the battery. Keep in mine that all the black wires are mark the sam.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:50 AM
DenverJayhawk

as MrMulligan said, don't worry about which is the battery wire. Just take the 3 wires from the esc and connect them to the 3 motor wires. Power up and see which way the motor spins. If it's turning in the wrong direction, switch the connections on any of the two wires. Again, make sure your prop is off.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:56 PM
mrcoolpop

Hey guys thanks, all is good now. Was nervous when you mention that I can burn my ESC up.