Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Old OS Max S35 and a great garage sale find!

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Old OS Max S35 and a great garage sale find!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 09:15 AM
tryandgetme

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old OS Max S35 and a great garage sale find!

So last fall I found an OLD Sig Kadet (I think) at a garage sale. I started looking through the pictures of old engines on the OS Engines site to get more info on it, and it looks like it is a 1964 OS MAX S35. I'm not sure if the plane is that old, but I suppose it very well could be. Its in GREAT condition though. No punctures in the silk covering, landing gear slightly bent, easily fixed, hinges needed replacing, but otherwise it'll probably fly. The wings and stabs are all straight, even after all this time. It came in this amazing custom plywood box with this upholstery foam that kept everything inplace inside the box. No hanger rash for this thing! I'll take pictures when I get home today.

Couple questions though, as I'm a beginner to flying these things (I've actually built 2, but heck, havnt found the money till recently to get flying..kits were cheaper than radios/engines!).

I'd like to get this thing as ready as possible before I go bother an instructor. I'm going to try to start the engine tonight. Since I had to soak it in wd40 to get it to turn over, and opened it up and cleaned it well, I figure I should probably run through a break-in routine, right? What about starting procedure? Initial needle valve settings to get it started? Are the instructions for setup, break in, and tuning on the OS site for similar sized more modern engines ok?

The plane had these plastic wing tips, and one of them was smashed. Would I be ok if I removed the remaining one and just left the flat square wingtip?

Also how much elevator and rudder throw should I be using? Oh, and where should I put the CG? 25%?

Any other suggestions on what I should check over?
Old 04-08-2005, 10:11 AM
britbrat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Old OS Max S35 and a great garage sale find!

Lots of questions.

Is the engine fitted with a carburetor, or does it have the old exhaust baffle throttle (probably without a muffler)?. If it has a carb it is an RC version of the engine (I had one of those on a ukie model).

Start it just like a modern engine. Use a fuel with lots of castor in it & don't go wild with nitro content. I doubt if a break in period is needed (or usefull) if the engine has been used, but if it has never been run, it should be broken in very rich, at medium revs, like a ringed engine, as it has a steel liner & mehanite piston.

You can remove the damaged wing tip without problems.

What radio gear does it have? It may not be legal now.

C-of-G at 25% is probably safe for virtually any plane.

I 'm sure there is more help waiting out there
Old 04-08-2005, 10:27 AM
tryandgetme

there's no radio gear, I'll be buying something next week to throw in it, probably a Futaba 6YG as it was pretty cheap, and I'd like 6 channels for when my hanger expands, as I know it will...

It is fitted with a carb and a muffler. http://www.osengines.com/history/osm...-max-s35rc.jpg that's it exactly, except that it dosent have the pressure tap on the muffler. The LHS guy recommended a fuel for me..10% nitro and a generous percentage of castor oil..
Old 04-08-2005, 02:11 PM
fokker20planes

Your lucky to find such a nice old trainer! My one piece of advice is to make sure you use an idle bar glow plug on the O.S.Max .35. Fox makes a nice idle bar plug. Okay one more piece of advice. Some trainers are balanced on the main spar. I think the old Kadet was but I can't be sure on that one. I look forward to the pics.
Old 04-08-2005, 03:55 PM
Pilot Chad
My Feedback: (4)

I would call up sig about the throws and CG
Old 04-09-2005, 12:47 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: tryandgetme

there's no radio gear, I'll be buying something next week to throw in it, probably a Futaba 6YG as it was pretty cheap, and I'd like 6 channels for when my hanger expands, as I know it will...

>Nice find. A suggestion for the radio. Find out WHAT brand the majority of the
>people at the local flying field use and what THE LEAST USED CHANNELS ARE.
>When you get your radio, get the brand used by the majority of the people AND
>on one of the least used channels. This will insure compatitbility with the
>instructor's radio and the less used channels will minimize your waiting time for
>the channel to clear so you can fly. I would also suggest getting a COMPUTER
>radio. The cost difference is usually not that great, but the fact you can store
>mutiple models in memory, have dual rates and more make it worth the extra
>money. In Futaba, the 6EXA is a decent entry level computer radio that should
>provide you with many years of use before you outgrow it. You should also
>find out if the instructor has a "buddy box cord" or if you need to provide one.

It is fitted with a carb and a muffler. http://www.osengines.com/history/osm...-max-s35rc.jpg that's it exactly, except that it dosent have the pressure tap on the muffler. The LHS guy recommended a fuel for me..10% nitro and a generous percentage of castor oil..

>The fuel sounds right. As for props, I suggest the Master Airscrew brand
>while learning (they are the black props). They are much more tolerant
>of prop strikes without breaking.

Good luck with the plane and learning how to fly. Keep us informed on your progress and if you have questions don't be afraid to ask. The only stupid question is the unasked one.
Old 04-09-2005, 08:32 PM
tryandgetme

another quick question: how much nosewheel deflection should there be?

hopefully I'll remember to take some pictures tomorrow when the light is better...
Old 04-09-2005, 08:38 PM
Pilot Chad
My Feedback: (4)

The 6exa Just got replaced with the 6exa super. So your most likely going to have to get that
Old 04-17-2005, 03:54 PM
ELTIGRE

the old OS 30/35 series were not noted for being powerhouses & some did not respond too well in the carburator area either. once broken in it should do ok just dont expect too much.
Old 04-17-2005, 04:18 PM
smedsky

Check with the local club on the predominate brand of radio. That way you will be able to get help easier. Any of the popular brands work fine, but if the only guy at the LHS who knows how to work theirs quits, you may be up a creek. If the LHS and the club are on the same page so much the better. Your plane should almost fly with a rubber band so the engine should be fine. Good luck, have fun, and keep us posted.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:08 AM
kakariki
My Feedback: (6)

Hi All
         I have one of these OS Max-S30/35 1964 engines, but the size has been ground off, and I don't know which size it is, it's the same as the pics on the OS site, the carby is a OS 31. The bore is 20.5mm (.8 inch) and the stroke 17.50 mm (.68 inch), can someone tell me the size, and even better does anyone have a manual/instruction sheet.
Thanks Barry
Old 11-05-2010, 08:03 AM
downunder

ORIGINAL: kakariki
The bore is 20.5mm (.8 inch) and the stroke 17.50 mm (.68 inch),
Going by the measurements, yours is a 35.