Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Electric comparison chart

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Electric comparison chart

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 12:23 PM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Electric comparison chart

I was looking through the RC Electric Forum to see if anyone had a chart or a link to a chart that showed comparisons between different electric motors, and a comparison between electric motors and their equivalent glow powered engines.

I've seen some questions arise from time to time here in the Beginners Forum and thought it might be a good topic to get some info on.

If someone knows of comparison charts with this info, please post a link to it/them.

Thanks.

CGr.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:47 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Electric comparison chart

Great Planes has a couple of good conversion charts on their ElectriFly website:

http://www.electrifly.com/powersyste...brushless.html

http://www.electrifly.com/powersyste...brushless.html

You have to take a few of their recommendations with a grain of salt. With recommendations for speed controllers, for example, Great Planes doesn't offer an ESC in 18A or 20A, so their recommendations jump straight from 12A to 25A. They give you the Diameter/Length/kV rating info of their recommended part for motors, however, so you can use their charts to shop for whichever brand you prefer.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:12 PM
goirish

AHHHHH!!!! thanks, I was also wondering what size motor to use in place of a 4 stroke.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:05 PM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, BigEd.

If anyone else has something to add, please do. One thing I was looking for, and this may not exist, is a chart that showed, say two brushless motors of equal capabilities but of different manufacturers.

Thanks again.

CGr.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:32 PM
rcjim000

I think Innov8tive Designs has what you are looking for:

[link=http://innov8tivedesigns.com/Scorpion/Motor%20Comparison%20Web.htm]Scorpion Motor Matching Chart[/link]

Jim
Old 11-05-2010, 07:20 AM
aeajr

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: CGRetired

Thanks, BigEd.

If anyone else has something to add, please do. One thing I was looking for, and this may not exist, is a chart that showed, say two brushless motors of equal capabilities but of different manufacturers.

Thanks again.

CGr.

EVERYTHING YOU WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT ELECTRIC POWERED FLIGHT
Old 11-05-2010, 09:02 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I only have the one electric, the new one is built or framed up but all the gear from the first one is going in the new plane so I know no more about electrics then I did when I built the first one. I went over to watt flyers and read the above post then got on the beginners forum for more info, super bunch of people and I learned enough to get me going. To date I have never seen a chart for complete cross over. I have seen some over the years but nothing complete. Some of the motor manufactures have cross over charts but you have to search them out. Joining the watt flyer forum is the best way I found to locate information and ask questions. I still don't understand much but my plane sure flew good and had way more power then I thought it was going to have. I like electric but it just isn't something I would do 100%, it lacks that wonderful noise of a real engine but I sure like the no clean up and instant starting and flying!!!
Old 11-05-2010, 09:11 AM
DenverJayhawk

I just built my first "real" high performance electric, an Extreme Flight 48" Edge 540. I learned a lot about electrics. Namely, it's expensive and you don't get much more than 7-8 min flights depending on how you use throttle. But the power is instant, you never worry about a dead stick (nice when doing 3D moves on the deck), and no clean up whatsoever.

I plan to keep one fuel powered model around, but I can definitely see the benefit of electrics, especially since the price of lipos has gone down.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:47 AM
aeajr

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

I only have the one electric, the new one is built or framed up but all the gear from the first one is going in the new plane so I know no more about electrics then I did when I built the first one. I went over to watt flyers and read the above post then got on the beginners forum for more info, super bunch of people and I learned enough to get me going. To date I have never seen a chart for complete cross over. I have seen some over the years but nothing complete. Some of the motor manufactures have cross over charts but you have to search them out. Joining the watt flyer forum is the best way I found to locate information and ask questions. I still don't understand much but my plane sure flew good and had way more power then I thought it was going to have. I like electric but it just isn't something I would do 100%, it lacks that wonderful noise of a real engine but I sure like the no clean up and instant starting and flying!!!

You really need to change your mind set.

With dozens of glow and gas engines in each category, each with slevedifferences, bearings, different types of carbs and tuned or untuned mufflers using different mixes of fuels,and hundreds of electric motors withdfferent kV and watt ratings and cansizes and inrunner and out runner and brushed andbrushless,and more coming out each day, Iwould expect there will never be a cross over chart except within a given brand. So you can pick a brand of electric motor, such as Hacker or Electrifly, and stay with their cross over charts or abandon this "what is the equivalent of a .40" mind set and just size you electric systems as electric systems.

As covered in the e-book there are "calculators" that tell you exactly what electric set-up you should use."What electric system would I use for a 7 pound plane with a 55 inch wing span for pattern flying?"Using the calculators that is EASYto answer.

Now you have total freedom to use any brand products you like. That is where the calculators come in handy. For about $35 you get a tool that will tell you the specs you need and perhaps even the exact make and models of electric components to buy. And there are free tools, like WebOcalc, but they are not as comprehensive and assume you understand more and can play around with stuff. I use WebOCalc for estimating the specs of the power system I want, but Ispeak electric.

Otherwise you are working in, "how many horse power outboard motor do I need to replace 500 square feet of sail on a single masted day sailor in a 7 mph breeze on a 20 degree tack?" You can probably answer the question, ... buy why approach it like that. Just go the motor people and say, "what motor would Ineed to drive my 19 footO'day sailer at 10 mph?" That is a lot easier and makes a lot more sense.

But your smileage will vary.