Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Best 2.4G for $300.00 ???

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Best 2.4G for $300.00 ???

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 12:31 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Best 2.4G for $300.00 ???

BTW, I'll throw in another vote for the Spektrum DX6i or DX7. Spektrum has the largest selection of receivers, and a large selection of BNF planes (Bind and Fly). They have a couple [link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=SPMAR6400]micro "bricks"[/link] (3-in-1 units with RX, ESC, and servos) for micro-sized RC planes as well.

Any of the other major brands, like Futaba and Airtronics, will serve you well too. Just be sure you're happy with the features and the selection of receivers.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:29 PM
ser00

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi all,

I will throw my two cents in. Futaba 7C has worked great for me. Only wish it had one more programmable mix so I could program all the thrust vectoring yumminess into my Hobby Lobby SU-34. I can program the nozzles to go up and down with the elevator (requires two mixes) and only one nozzle with one of the ailerons (requires two mixes but I have only three mixes total). I have never used any other brands except Futaba but people in the club also use the Spektrum 6dx and 7dx without issues. I myself like just having the single receiver instead of a receiver and a satellite.

Happy flying and soft landings!
Old 10-29-2010, 02:35 PM
tryingagain

I have to chime in for the 7C. It has performed flawlessly for me. I managed to bring it in from Tower on one of their specials (purchase >300.00 get 60.00 off). No regrets.
I will, however, echo what has been said about comfort. Find one that feels good in your hands and has the features you need. An old vet at our club told me to figure out how many channels you need and add two. It was good advice.

Cheers
Gord
Old 10-29-2010, 03:40 PM
SeaJay
My Feedback: (6)

gaRCfield,

The RDS8000 does allow independent Aileron servo adjustment, I have independent aileron servos on 2 or 3 of my planes, and I am able to adjust both the center points, and endpoints of each aileron independently of each other..

I Love my RDS 8000... I love it so much, that after buying the RDS8000, I also purchased an RD8000 (72mHz) transmitter to work with my 72mHz receivers..

I also have the Optic 6 radio, and I find the ease of programming for the RDS8000 a bit easier and less confusing than the Hitec Optic.

The Airtronics RDS8000 probably has the best Bang for the Buck of any 2.4 gHz radio system.. Check out the reviews and forums here on RCU, thats what convinced me to go from Hitec and Futaba to the Airtronics.. No Glitches on my Airtronics either, Unless you include "Dumb Thumbs" and that's not the radios fault!!

Thanks, Craig.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:56 PM
SeaJay
My Feedback: (6)

42etus,

I think you are onto something...   I didn't even notice the 1600 posts by Carlos..  Hmm......  Whats up with that, Carlos, Hmmm???? 
Old 10-29-2010, 05:31 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: gaRCfield

Anyone know if the Atx SD-6 has rates and expo on rudder? RDS8000 also doesn't allow independent aileron servo adjustments.

The new Airtronics SD-6g has dual rates and expo on the rudder as well as aileron and elevator. The SD-6G has better model naming than the RDS8000. The SD-6g also shows graphs for its 5-point pitch and throttle curves.

The ergonomics on the new SD-5g and SD-6g transmitters is really, really good. The transmitter case has the same comfortable and easy feel like the RDS8000. The buttons, switches, and trim tabs on the SD-5g and SD-6g have a really solid, high quality feel to them. The new SD-5g and SD-6g both feel like much more expensive transmitters when you hold them and use them.

I think the Airtronics RDS8000 (I own two), the Futaba 7C (I own one), the Airtronics SD-6g, and the Hitec Optic 6 2.4Ghz radio systems are all good, solid values. I'd lean toward the Airtronics or Hitec radios simply due to immense cost savings versus Futaba when you go to buy additional receivers. Futaba receivers are just as reliable as Hitec or Airtronics, and they're only twice the price of the other two.

The Hitec Optic 6 (not to be confused with the Optic 6 Sport) really deserves special mention because it is the only transmitter in this price range that can also be outfitted with a 72Mhz RF deck to fly old receivers as well as new 2.4Ghz receivers. The ergonomics are excellent, and the transmitter is very well made.

Lots of folks fly Spektrum and lots of folks like Spektrum; and there's nothing wrong with that. I don't believe that the DX6i is a particularly well made piece of hardware, IMHO. I know too many pilots who's DX6i transmitters had their scroll wheels fall out of the transmitter within the first few weeks of owning them. I have seen pilots have their DX6i transmitters lose their programming for no apparent reason. I've even seen a case where a pilot swapped transmitter batteries on his DX6i, and when he fired it back up with a fresh set of transmitter batteries, all of his control movements were reversed and he had to reprogram everything before he could fly. A side-by-side comparison of the SD-6g and DX6i would be embarrassing for Spektrum.

The DX7 is a good, solid radio with a couple of really irritating design flaws. The trainer switch is in a horrible location and is awkward to use. You'll never see a flight instructor training students at the club with a DX7 as the master radio; it's just too painful to try to hold the hover throttle/trainer switch up for ten minutes. Also, the DX7 really ought to have a throttle kill button. It's true that you can program a mix to act as a throttle kill easily enough, but the feature should have been built in.

If you don't instruct students, and you don't mind programming a throttle kill, then you have to get past binding plugs, multiple receiver bodies, and stringent battery requirements to make the DX7 seem as good of a choice as the other radios previously mentioned. Spektrum owners deserve a life without binding plugs and single-body dual antenna full range receivers that are as reliable as every other brand.

If the DX7 is the worst choice in this price range, then life is pretty good for us RC pilots. It's a very well built transmitter and solid, reliable radio platform.
Old 10-29-2010, 06:11 PM
StevL

ORIGINAL: Carlos Murphy

Who makes the best 2.4G radio for around $300.00?
You have about 1600 post and asking this question? I think you have formed your own opinion....

Steve
Old 10-29-2010, 06:14 PM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok... done. Locked.