Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

How addicted are YOU?

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

How addicted are YOU?

Old 11-07-2010, 11:31 AM
Flyboy1958
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How addicted are YOU?

Well, with almost 5,000 post I guess you've had a problem for a while now. Not that it's a problem. Were all in the same boat.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:36 AM
MTips18

It took all of four days. I have been buying something everyday.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:36 PM
jetmech43
My Feedback: (9)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just bought a new futaba 12fg after I told my self I wouldnt, self has more power than I do
Old 11-07-2010, 01:41 PM
Rc Overkill
My Feedback: (6)

My name is Nick and I am an addict !!!! I currently have 12 planes with 7 ready to go at any given time lol. I have been know to travel 150 miles one way to pick up a good deal on an airplane. I have the LHS on speed dial!
Old 11-07-2010, 01:52 PM
RogerParrett

I look at my stuff and a simple statement comes to mind...

"More equipment than talent, more money than brains."

r/s... Roger Parrett / Dayton (Centerville) / OH
Old 11-07-2010, 01:58 PM
Oberst
Banned

I'm so addicted I'm always broke. My house looks like a darn hobby shop

Pete
Old 11-07-2010, 02:30 PM
CKLLOYD

HELLO MY NAME IS CHUCK AND I AM NOT A ADDICT. LAST NIGHT I WAS ON RCU AND I LOOK AT THE CLOCK AND IT WAS 11.31 PM I TOLD MY SELF THAT I NEEDED TO HEAD FOR BED. THE NEXT THING I NEW IT WAS 1:06 AM AFTER TAKEN A DEEP BREATH I SAID JUST A COUPLE MORE MIN'S. THEN IT HAPPEN 3:30 AM THIS MORNING WE LOST ELE. HERE THE COMPUTURE WENT DOWN MY MOUTH DROP OPEN AND I WAS IN SHOCK. ALL I COULD SAY WAS NOOOOOOOOOO.. NOOOOOOOOOOO. WHY ME WHY ME. I GOT UP THIS MORNING A TOOK MY MEDS AND REBOOTED THE COMP. AND HERE I AM STILL LOOKING, BREATING AND DREAMING ABOUT PLANES. I JUST SENT OFF FOR 3 PLANS AND WILL BE ON THE EDGE OF MY SEAT UNTILL THEY GET HERE. BUT IM OK THERE NOTHING WRONG... WITH ME. PLANES PLANES I NEED MORE PLANES. MY WIFE WALK IN AND READ THIS SHE PADDED MY HEAD AND SAID CHUCK YOU ARE..... OK MY NAME IS CHUCK AND I AM A ADDICT BUT THAT DOES NOT MEEN THAT I AM A BAD PERSON DOES IT.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:03 PM
RCMikeofIndiana
My Feedback: (4)

After 25 years of computers as my hobby my wife suggested I get an out door hobby. Late Spring this year I went to my towns local RC field to watch my nephew fly his foamy.  I was so awe struck by watching the dozen or so members fly their nitro and gasser planes I knew what I wanted to do.  I purchased my first plane (Alpha 40 trainer) and the basics for starting and running it.  after 8 weeks of ever Saturday buddy boxing with a few club pros I soloed.  I am sooooo hooked.  I just finished building a Big Stik 40 with and OS 46 engine.  Our local hobby shop had an open house yesterday with a great deal on U Can Do 3D 46 with a Saito 82 engine combo.  I snatched that up.  Between purchasing tools,  electronics and plane equipment my original $400 investment has bloomed to about $1200.  My wife says I am now on a tight budget but is happy that I have found a good hobby.  Am I addicted??  Hmmmm......
Old 11-07-2010, 03:32 PM
JW0311

Hello my name is James and it has now become obvious that there is no hope for me. I am a RC junkie. I too have no talent and very little smarts but have no thoughts of changing my ways. I will continue to buy, build, fly, and crash. One year into the hobby and it has consumed me. I eat sleep and drink RC aviation. If nothing else, I'm glad i'm not the only one. The little voices in my head are telling me that I have more sanding to do, so I have to go now.

James
Old 11-07-2010, 05:42 PM
scooterinvegas

Im not addicted.........I can quit anytime I want to!!!!!!
Old 11-07-2010, 05:45 PM
airplanenut1
My Feedback: (19)

is it bad when you move 220 miles to get a higher paying job that happens to be making airplane parts for the military just so you have a bigger budget for buying model airplanes not have a more successful career in life i think i can say that i eat sleep and breath airplanes i just wish it wasent in NY so i could fly all year round but thats alright i need some time to build and repair
Old 11-07-2010, 06:28 PM
ArcticCatRider
My Feedback: (6)

Hello my name is Dan, and currently there is no cure for my "condition." I have been happily and hopelessly addicted since I was 11 years old. I was infected with a Cox control line PT 19. As they say, the rest is all history. I'm now 27 and have been flying Radio control for 12 years. Some of my planes are with me, some have deceased. The bug has also spread into RC Cars, and RC boats...among other things. Couldn't be happier.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:03 PM
StevL

Don't worry guys, it's easy to quit.... I've done it four or five times already

Steve
Old 11-07-2010, 08:35 PM
tony0707

HI
I SPENT ALL MY MONEY ON BOOZE DRUGS AND WOMENAND WAISTED THE REST ON RC AIRPLANES
i am very thankfull to spend the time i do flying building and thinking about flying and building NON STOP makes for a very fofilling life - glad to spend on things i enjoy-BEST REGARDS TONY
Old 11-07-2010, 09:52 PM
warbird addict

Hi My name is Elton and I've been an addict since 1987 with no plans for recovery, 35 plus planes ready to fly 4 or 5 in various stages of completion another 5 arfs in the box as duplicates to the ones I really like and another on the way.
I love everything about the hobby, the building/assembling/tuning, flying, just sitting around havin a beer and admiring the fleet,and hanging with my flying buddies talking shop.
Its a definite sickness that rewards me everytime I feel "ILL" and I don't want to get Better LOL
Old 11-07-2010, 10:04 PM
SharpProp

Whoa, hold on just one second man. I'm not addicted, I can quit anytime I want. So what if my idea of a good time is spending hours at a field flying high as a kite. Me and some old dudes passing around some nitro and a hot ignitor, cause that how we roll. Sue me if I like to spend my time watching a t-rex doing back flips all day. It's who I am.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:06 PM
SharpProp

Whoa, hold on just one second man. I'm not addicted, I can quit anytime I want. So what if my idea of a good time is spending hours at a field flying high as a kite. Me and some old dudes passing around some nitro and a hot ignitor, cause that how we roll. Sue me if I like to spend my time watching a t-rex doing back flips all day. It's who I am.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:51 PM
TruBlu02

I have been in and out of te booby a couple times now. I think i am in it for goood this time because I have learned to find a balance. I used to be a serious impulse buyer and would buy anything I tough was coo. I ended up with a bunch of planes i never really flew and all in various stages of being broken. Since I am in the military and I move alot I figured I would thin out the hangar to the planes I really love to fly. I spend most of my hobby budget doing various improvements and really learning how to master my planes. I have actually learned to appreciate my planes alot more and it is nice to know any one of my planes is always ready to fly. As for being an addict I think after 16 years it is safe to say I am!!
Old 11-07-2010, 11:51 PM
NoelJ

My name is Noel, and my blue jeans are stuck to my legs with CA.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:30 AM
kiwibob72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: gaRCfield

I found out there was a hobby store not far from where I work/live, so I went to check it out ............... Hopefully your stories will make me feel a little better about myself[&o]
Or maybe they'll help me justify a $50 RX to save 10grams of weight [:@]
Actually taking the time to go look see was your first mistake. It's like they say with 'crack' .... one hit is all it takes for some folk, and it sounds like your well on your way to becoming an rc aircraft addict!.

I myself had a go on a friends simulator program about 4 years ago. Got my first cheap RTF 450 size 3D electric heli xmas 08, sold all my rc cars a few months later, sold my kite buggy gear about mid last year, now have a full on 0.50 nitro heli (1.34meter/53" rotor diameter) .... then I got a 1.65meter/65" wide nitro trainer plane after swapping it for my rc yacht ..... and for the last few months I've been weighing up the merits of either a nice 70 sport plane, or a .60 sized "blue nose" P51 from hangar 9.
Seriously, once you start, this 'drug' called "RC Aircraft" will take you on a downward spiral where all your talking about is 2 and 4 stroke nitro's vs gas and electric power, and scale vs 3D options faster than you can blink!

This place is just a support group for those of us who have realized we have a disease, yet are deliriously happy with our addiction as it makes us happier people to be around, and as such, are not ready for the 12 step program just yet!!.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:21 AM
Bass1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're gonna' get addicted to something, ya' might as well get addicted to something that'll last you a lifetime!![sm=49_49.gif]
Old 11-08-2010, 02:13 AM
IFR Pilot

I was addicted but lost the flame all together. I flown everything under the sun ( Low/ high wing, giant/ turbine scale ) and trying something that starts with a H and it's not heli's. I been in the heli dept to and it WAS one of my favorites.

Rc for me was like having a slave that didn't complain, was wonderful.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:25 AM
mac1va
My Feedback: (18)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi my name is Vincent and I'm an RC-a-holic
...and then, Hobby Lobby sends me a "crash sale" email and of course Its the plane I was looking at 2 weeks ago and almost clicked but now its on sale so now I'm trying to justify it cause its a sale and oh lets check eBay, maybe there is one new in the box a little cheaper then uh-oh an email from ebay saying they found items based on your last purchase which of course was not on sale but hey you really wanted one. Oh then, you really wanted a Buzzard Bombshell kit so you find it. Of course its over priced but hey you really want to treat yourself cause your birthday is in 11 months so you get it but then a guy in the club is selling complete a built silk and dope scratch built Buzzard that is ready for engine and electronics so you have to buy that one since it saves you the time of building the kit which is a 4ks kit and its really a free flight plan so you have to make changes to add servo mounting and movable surfaces so now its easy, this ones done. Oh but wait...ebay is still sending emails based on your previous purchase cause everyone needs a built Buzzard,4 Buzzard kits and a short kit also right? Um-well thats just one story about one airplane. I do find deals...sometimes. How many airplanes??? Lets just say my Jr 9303 has 30 models, my DX7 has whatever it has and my DX6i has 10 or whatever it has and they are all full of models. Now I'm thinking about the 9503 since it has 50 models but then I will have all that room for model memory.........you guys know what Im talkin about? Oh wait, then, I get everything shipped to work and wife doesnt see the boxes arrive. So now its easy she doesnt see anything. Once in a while I ship a really small one to my house just to "test" her. My shed is full of planes (where will I put the patio furniture this winter) I have a garage that I rent for my 46 Ford and oh, yeah thats where I keep the unbuilt ARFS and my 1/3rd scale clipped wing cub and my 1/4 scale monocoupe and well there some other planes there too. help me
Old 11-08-2010, 04:19 AM
kiwibob72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Moms Mistake

I was addicted but lost the flame all together. I flown everything under the sun ( Low/ high wing, giant/ turbine scale ) and trying something that starts with a H and it's not heli's. I been in the heli dept to and it WAS one of my favorites.

Rc for me was like having a slave that didn't complain, was wonderful.
That thing that starts with 'H' ... hydro's? ... and if so, isn't that going the other way as to how this is meant to work?? (LOL)
Old 11-08-2010, 04:25 AM
scooterinvegas

I have to get up in 4 hrs and go to work!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.