Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

First Airplane Kit

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

First Airplane Kit

Old 11-09-2010, 10:36 PM
nrad2000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Airplane Kit

I want to build my first airplane from a kit. So far I have put together 4 ARF's and another on its way. I was thinking of something simple to start with like the tower hobbies Uproar. question is: I have a flat surface to work on - what do I need regarding to tools and supplies in order to build a kit? I have an exact-o knife, dremel multi tool, sander, drill, filer, trim seal tool, iron, heat gun, and bunch of other basic tools I use for my ARF's and Heli's. I guess I'm more interested in what kind of glue do I use, how are the pieces held in place while drying, how do I punch out the laser cut pieces, and etc.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:49 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: First Airplane Kit

Look through my LT-40 build thread. This will give you a good idea of what you're going to need. Even though it's a trainer build, there is lots of information in the thread that will help you in building your first kit.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3439708/tm.htm

Hope this helps

Ken

Old 11-09-2010, 10:57 PM
nh4clo4
My Feedback: (33)

The uproar is a fairly easy build. It has low parts count and fit well. it is a one piece plane. Meaning the wing is permantly attached. So you don't need to drill wing bolts, and line up a dowel, If you take your time and follow the plans and instructions, it will be a rewarding experience. It can be a great thing seeing a pile of sticks take to the air.
ED
Old 11-09-2010, 11:10 PM
Crash Campbell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

Together with the info here at RCU this link to Paul's site will see all of the questions you have asked to date answered together with those you haven't yet thought to ask.
With regard to a first kit build (assuming you are a compotent flyer) I would suggest almost any of the TF Gold edition Kits or any of the newer SIG kits.

http://www.airfieldmodels.com/

Cheers,

Colin
Old 11-09-2010, 11:40 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

You will smile harder flying your first kit build, than anything else you have flown. You might not think its the best flying plane ever, but it could light a new fire in your hobby !
Old 11-10-2010, 03:10 AM
ameyam

Though this is unrelated, arent there any kits that can do 3D? So far, I have built a GP US40+ kit with lots-&-lots of help. I was thinking GP Extra 300 60 size but I am told it is not 3D. The US40+ was advertised as 3D capable but it was not 3D either and a handful to fly

Ameyam
Old 11-10-2010, 11:30 AM
richardgerardi

The Astro Hog is a favorite. Lots of wood but strong as a tank.