Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gas Engine Oil Mix

Soon I'm thinking of a 50cc size plane. If I was to get the DLE 55 - is it just regular unleaded gasoline mixed with 2 stroke weed eater 2-cycle oil? Can I use something like "Cool Power FAI Fuel"? Has 0% Nitro http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHMK1&P=7

How does everyone measure 30:1 ratio when adding oil to gasoline?

What is "Cool Power FAI fuel" with 0% nitro? where is it used?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Gas Engine Oil Mix

I wouldnt use cool power in your DL-55! I use Pennzoil air cooled @32 :1 & measure the mix with a Ratio Rite mixing cup. They can be found at a motorcycle or lawn mower shop. There are dozens of other oils you can use also, the Pennzoil is easy for me to get.......Gene

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What Gene said, do not bother to try glow fuel in a gas engine. Also, most of the 2 stroke mixes come in a container that is sized for the size of fuel can you will mix it in - 1, 2, 2.5, or 5 gallon. They also tell you on the side of the container how many ounces per gallon of gas. Put the oil in first, then fill the container, it will mix up when you fill it. Some people will still shake the container after it is full anyway, just to make sure.
    http://www.tailhook.org/AVSLANG.htm
    Sign over Ready Room Door: \"Complacency Kills\" - Thimk

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: nrad2000

Soon I'm thinking of a 50cc size plane. If I was to get the DLE 55 - is it just regular unleaded gasoline mixed with 2 stroke weed eater 2-cycle oil? Can I use something like ''Cool Power FAI Fuel''? Has 0% Nitro http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHMK1&P=7

How does everyone measure 30:1 ratio when adding oil to gasoline?

What is ''Cool Power FAI fuel'' with 0% nitro? where is it used?

Gasoline engines are designed to run on gasoline and do not run well on methanol, which is what Cool Power fuel uses for it's base. Cool Power has no gasoline in it and gasoline engines really won't like it at all.

The engine manufacturer supplies the information needed for the correct oil to gasoline ratio. Follow their suggestions.

A gallon is 128 ounces.
    128/30 = 4.267
    You would combine 128 ounces of gasoline with 4.3 ounces of oil to get a 30:1 mix. If that is what DLE recommends, then you'd be good to go.

Cool Power is the name of a fuel for glow engines. It is a couple of different oils mixed with methanol and with nitromethane. One of the blends leaves out the nitromethane and is called "FAI fuel". Many contries do not have nitromethane available to their citizens. The world wide organization that controls model competition (the FAI) worked up rules over the years that require glow fuel without nitro. The fuel you ask about is that fuel. It is used in International competitions.
    Good flying wit ya today

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If you'r thinking about using glow fuel in a gas engine, you need help from someone that flys gas planes. Only speciality built engine for race plane use glow fuel. dennis
    DadstoysRC. I fly what I sell
    CD Vette City Big Bird

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You can use alcohol in an engine designed for gasoline but not without some modifications. The biggest mod is the carburetor as you will require larger offices because the fuel flow will be quite a bit higher than when using gasoline. As to oil/alcohol ratio, best check with the engine manufacturer to be sure of using an adequate amount of oil. You will get more horsepower using alcohol but at a great expense to fuel consumption increase and probably greater engine wear.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Most the guys at the field are using Red Line oil found at motorcycle shops in there DLEs mixed 50:1. I use Klotz oil I get at Hobby Shops or tower mixed 32:1. The instructions will give you all the information you require. As dad mentioned, you may want to look for some help with your first gasser.
    Drinking and driving are illegal, why do bars have parking lots
    Daisy Air Guns, keeping kids off your lawn for 100 years

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I know a lot of people will disagree but I have had great luck with regular old 2-stroke oil for air cooled engines from the hardware store. The same stuff that I use in my chain saw. I have tried the more expensive synthetics. I know they likely provide better wear protection, they don't cause as much carbon, you can run less of it, etc. but for a guy like me just "sport flying" there just wasn't enough apparent benefit to justify the added cost. My engines run excellent on weed-wacker oil.

I generally run 32:1. That comes out to 4 ounces of oil per gallon of gasoline. You can buy the oil in small containers that mix with 1 gallon, 2 gallons or 5 gallons of gasoline to give you a specific mixture. The stuff I usually use come in a bottle with a built-in measuring cup. You squeeze the bottle until the cup fills to the level you want.

Definitely do not use the Coolpower glow fuel in your DLE. In addition to the fact that it won't work right without modifying things and could cause damage, the added cost defeats the purpose of going to economical gasoline in the first place.
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #13*

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

the 3 oils that seem to be generally recommended are as follows
    Stihl ultra
    ECHO power blend
    red line 2 stroke

really any 2 stroke oil works well enough but ya might as well use the best you can get, since its pretty cheap stuff, and regular gas 87 octane is all you need for the DLE engines.

why would you think that glow fuel would work in a gasoline engine, glow fuel is 20$ a gallon Gasoline is 3.20

OP look in the gasoline engine forum there's lots of info there on the DLE line from the 20 on up in size

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm currently flying a DA100L, DA50, DLE55, Zenoah 26, and a Zenoah 20. I use Amsoil Saber Pro mixed at 80:1, been flying this for several years with no problems. Some do not like Amsoil, much like the JR vs. Futaba threads.

Use a quality oil and enjoy!

Steve

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If you changed the spark plug, and tuned the engine to run on Glow fuel, it would use something like 1.0-1.5 oz per min. Lets do some math....

Glow Fuel = $20 Gal
    Gas w/oil = $3.50 Gal

60 min of flight time @ 1ยฝ oz per min with glow & ยฝ oz per min with gas.

60 min using glow fuel is 90 oz @ 15.6ยข per oz = $14.04
    60 min using gas/oil is 30 oz @ 2.7ยข per oz = .81ยข

So..... 4 - 15 min flights would cost you $13.23 more than using gas and the performance would be about the same.......

What was the question again???
    Maybe I should just take rubbing alcohol with me to the field and rub the props down before starting any of my planes!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ChuckW

I know a lot of people will disagree but I have had great luck with regular old 2-stroke oil for air cooled engines from the hardware store. The same stuff that I use in my chain saw. I have tried the more expensive synthetics. I know they likely provide better wear protection, they don't cause as much carbon, you can run less of it, etc. but for a guy like me just ''sport flying'' there just wasn't enough apparent benefit to justify the added cost. My engines run excellent on weed-wacker oil.

I generally run 32:1. That comes out to 4 ounces of oil per gallon of gasoline. You can buy the oil in small containers that mix with 1 gallon, 2 gallons or 5 gallons of gasoline to give you a specific mixture. The stuff I usually use come in a bottle with a built-in measuring cup. You squeeze the bottle until the cup fills to the level you want.

Definitely do not use the Coolpower glow fuel in your DLE. In addition to the fact that it won't work right without modifying things and could cause damage, the added cost defeats the purpose of going to economical gasoline in the first place.
    I used a lot of chain saw oil and find it works as well as any. Last week at the field this all came up in the BS sessions between flights. I haven't used enough Amsoil to ever form an opinion. The guys at the field are sure against it?? I used to run there gear oil a lot in my sand dragster but wasn't ever able to afford the oil, 7 quarts and I dumped it after every weekend. Good stuff though. The Amsoil two stroke oil was too hard to come by where I was from. One thing I did discover was if I used a 100% synthetic in a new RC engine it takes forever for the ring to seat or wear in so I broke all my engines in with chain saw oil first. Klotz oil is blended and even has Castor in it, not a big deal but I'm able to find the stuff without runing all over town looking for Red Line. If the OP just follows the instructions he should be ahead of the game.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

As this is a beginners forum...I wouldn't recommend a gasser for your first or second airplane.....
    A high wing trainer with an instructor would be much better.....
    If you already know how to fly then your best bet would be to team up with someone that already knows gas.....as you do set the airplane up different, throttle and the fuel tank.
    As far as a fuel oil mix.....there are many opinions as you can see...but the majority seems to run at break in 32:1, then go with higher gas ratio after a gallon or 2..

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Stihl dealers are plentiful and their ultra hp oil is synthetic and works great at 50/1 after breakin and is inexpensive. Using any mix above that is taking life from your engine.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have always used glow engines, but I'm thinking of getting a DLE30. I'm sure there will be new things to learn with gas engines. My questions are: 1. What's the best 2-cycle oil to use? 2. What battery pack (voltage and type) to use for spark?
    Has anyone used Klotz Modelube 2-Stroke Synthetic Oil?
    Opinions and comments invited.
    Regards
    FASSTFLIER
    Regards
    JC

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: JCINTEXAS

I have always used glow engines, but I'm thinking of getting a DLE30. I'm sure there will be new things to learn with gas engines. My questions are: 1. What's the best 2-cycle oil to use? 2. What battery pack (voltage and type) to use for spark?
    Regards
    FASSTFLIER
    Just a heads up, for anyone wanting to go into gas engines and wonder about what make and model there is a gas engine forum yo can read. Last time I looked there were about 30 pages on just the DLE 30. When you buy a new engine they come with instructions and should be followed. After time people new to gas can and will start doing different things but for a beginner following the instructions is the best idea. Each manufacture will want there engines run there way with products they tested. I have one Brison and it called for 100:1 full synthetic. 100:1 scares the heck out of me but that's what it called for. Other engines I have range from 50:1 to 32:1 with different types of oil. This is the beginners forum so advising on gas engines may lead some people astray. Just follow the instructions, if you want to know about one make of engine go into the gas engine forum and read up on what users have to say.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Oops, I think I may have worded it wrong. I thought the CoolPower FAI fuel had no nitromethane in it and believed it was just synthetic oil. I wasn't sure what it was and if I can use this synthetic oil in-place of 2-cycle oil. Sounds like there is nitromethane (how much nitro?) and deffinetly won't be using it.

Last dumb question: I have a weed eater and yard blower 2 stroke gas/oil mix in a 1 gallon red fueler. It sits around in the garage (gets hot and cold) for a while and I gas up the yard equipment and away it goes. Can I treat the airplane fuel the same way or should I keep it in a climate controled environment? Can I use one of those red fueler containers that you can buy at Lowes or Homedepot?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Regards
    FASSTFLIER

1. No such thing as the best oil. I have used and reccomend Penziol outdoor at a ratio of 40:1. 30:1 will work but really is more oil then needed. Stay away from the synthetics until the engine has some use on it. Synthetics my prevent the rings from seating properly on a new engine. Synthetics are also thinner and do not lubricate the metering needle in the carb well and can cause pemature wear. The flexable flapper valves and diaphram aslo do well with Penzoil and tend to get dry and brittle with synthetics. Just my experiences running gas engines for the past 15 years.

2. Any battery type will work as long as output voltage is 4.8 to 6 volt. Use no less then 1000 mah. Lithium batteries will require a regulator. You get no more power from running higher voltage. I set all my regulators to 5.5 volts.

3. We covered this, stay away from synthetics.......................NO advantage! I'm sure I will get comments on this but call around to lawn services and ask how many guys that use their gas lawn powered 6 days a week for hours on end use synthetics. The answer is none of them do and their equipment sees hundreds of hours of use each year.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: ChuckW

I know a lot of people will disagree but I have had great luck with regular old 2-stroke oil for air cooled engines from the hardware store. The same stuff that I use in my chain saw. I have tried the more expensive synthetics. I know they likely provide better wear protection, they don't cause as much carbon, you can run less of it, etc. but for a guy like me just ''sport flying'' there just wasn't enough apparent benefit to justify the added cost. My engines run excellent on weed-wacker oil.

I used a lot of chain saw oil and find it works as well as any. Last week at the field this all came up in the BS sessions between flights. I haven't used enough Amsoil to ever form an opinion. The guys at the field are sure against it?? I used to run there gear oil a lot in my sand dragster but wasn't ever able to afford the oil, 7 quarts and I dumped it after every weekend. Good stuff though. The Amsoil two stroke oil was too hard to come by where I was from. One thing I did discover was if I used a 100% synthetic in a new RC engine it takes forever for the ring to seat or wear in so I broke all my engines in with chain saw oil first. Klotz oil is blended and even has Castor in it, not a big deal but I'm able to find the stuff without runing all over town looking for Red Line. If the OP just follows the instructions he should be ahead of the game.
    I tried Amsoil Sabre. It worked just fine for me. I even ran it at 80:1 with no problems. The cost just wasn't justified for me though. I don't get the people who say you must use it though. If someone wants to use it, fine but it isn't absolutely necessary to have a good running, long lasting engine. Now if I was in some sort of competition situation where I pushed an engine really hard and I wanted every tiny advantage I could get then I might reconsider.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Oops, I think I may have worded it wrong. I thought the CoolPower FAI fuel had no nitromethane in it and believed it was just synthetic oil. I wasn't sure what it was and if I can use this synthetic oil in-place of 2-cycle oil. Sounds like there is nitromethane (how much nitro?) and deffinetly won't be using it.

Last dumb question: I have a weed eater and yard blower 2 stroke gas/oil mix in a 1 gallon red fueler. It sits around in the garage (gets hot and cold) for a while and I gas up the yard equipment and away it goes. Can I treat the airplane fuel the same way or should I keep it in a climate controled environment? Can I use one of those red fueler containers that you can buy at Lowes or Homedepot?
    The FAI fuel doesn't have nitromethane but it is a methanol (alcohol) and oil mix intended for use in glow engines. It is the same methanol used in alcohol dragsters and stuff like that. You burn more of it though so carburetor jetting has to be changed, timing curves changed, etc. It is also a lot more expensive than gasoline. One of the main reasons most people go with gasoline engines in an airplane is the cost advantage. $3.00 per gallon plus a few cents in oil is a lot nicer than $18.99 for a gallon of glow fuel. If you had a glow engine, burning glow fuel equivalent to a 55cc gas engine, flying it would be a very expensive endeavor due to fuel cost. Engines like the DLE-55 are specifically designed and manufactured to run on economical gasoline.

I store the gasoline for my airplanes in the garage in regular 1-gallon red plastic gas cans. I have a pump set-up made specifically to screw on top of these cans and it stays sealed. I prefer to use 1-gallon containers so I go through it quicker and it stays fresher. Some guys that fly more use larger containers though.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Oops, I think I may have worded it wrong. I thought the CoolPower FAI fuel had no nitromethane in it and believed it was just synthetic oil. I wasn't sure what it was and if I can use this synthetic oil in-place of 2-cycle oil. Sounds like there is nitromethane (how much nitro?) and definitely won't be using it.

CoolPower is Glow Fuel. AKA Methanol, also known as methyl alcohol. Gas is Gasoline. They are totally different. FAI fuel has 0% nitro, but is Methanol mixed with 17% oil.

We are taking running GAS engines with Unleaded Pump Gasoline with 2%-5% oil.

Gas engines burn less gasoline than nitro engines and is CHEAP compared to the cost of Methanol based fuels.... Hope this helps clarify things for you. Scoot

EDIT>>>>>>>>>> Sorry Chuck, I posted before reading ALL the posts. [:@]
    Maybe I should just take rubbing alcohol with me to the field and rub the props down before starting any of my planes!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have a 64 CC Stihl chainsaw motor that came out of a old 039 Chainsaw. I had to install a Transil Products ignition system on it to make it run. I have the timing set at 28 degrees and I have one of those C & H timing modules in it. The motor always ran pretty good but would backfire, or pop at full trottle. No matter where I set the timing or needle valves it always popped. The last time I bought gas, I mixed up some 24 to 1 instead of the 40 to 1 that I had run for years. Guess What? The backfiring and poppping went away. Also I'm just using 10 W 30 motor oil, not synthic oil. I think the extra oil content provides a better seal for the rings which ups the compression ratio.
    It's a fantastic motor now. I have a Auto-cad drawing of all the parts I needed to make if anyone is intrested. Free!!!
    Larrykop@AOL.COM
    Larry Kopecky

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I use Husqvarna synthetic 2-cycle oil in my RCGF 26cc. Lowe's sells it. Good stuff, works just fine for me. Gas/oil mix ratios are listed on the bottle. Dump the whole bottle in a gas container, then add the appropriate amount of fuel to get the desired mix ratio.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Regards
    FASSTFLIER
    here is 163 pages of info on the DLE 30 http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8885257/tm.htm

I just installed one in my ESM FW190A there really light and are a powerful alternative to larger glow engines.

there is so much hype with the oil just run some Stihl or Echo from home depot at 32-1 and your golden, there is really no need to run less oil ratio, why run a expensive Klots oil and this isn't the place to get the best opinion on gas engines best to post it in the gas forum you will get every answer in the book and probably more if you do a search

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

A gas engine forum??? Very fine looking 190 Tim!!!!!!!!!