Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Flying RC Planes " A hobby or Sport ? "

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Flying RC Planes " A hobby or Sport ? "

Old 11-12-2010, 08:47 AM
batdog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flying RC Planes " A hobby or Sport ? "

My wife told me that Flying RCPlanes is a HOBBY not a SPORT I say its BOTH . She says I go to the Hobby Store to buy for my planes and not the sporting good store and there is not an RCsection at the Sports Authority. Does she always have to be right?
Old 11-12-2010, 08:56 AM
rwright142

Default RE: Flying RC Planes

There are people with compete and win awards and money so that makes it a sport. I build and fly for fun so for me it's a hobby.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:56 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The way I see it, building is a hobby, flying is a sport.

Tell her, "You can't buy a Polo Mallet at Sports Authority either. Does that mean Polo is not a sport?"

Which brings up the next question, the answer to which I have net yet figured out: If flying is a sport, does that make my fat ***** an athlete?
Old 11-12-2010, 08:58 AM
rwright142

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer
...does that make my fat ***** an athlete?
Competitive eating is a sport so I'm an athlete in trainingLOL

Old 11-12-2010, 09:01 AM
pdm52956

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: batdog

My wife told me that Flying RC Planes is a HOBBY not a SPORT I say its BOTH . She says I go to the Hobby Store to buy for my planes and not the sporting good store and there is not an RC section at the Sports Authority. Does she always have to be right?
Shoot, my wife ALWAYS wins that one no matter which side she chooses. As long as she let's me go to the hobby store to buy my sports equipment, I'll let her have her way this time.[sm=tongue_smile.gif]
Old 11-12-2010, 09:01 AM
batdog

Sounds like so far she is wrong , But who is going t tell her?
Old 11-12-2010, 09:07 AM
G.Barber

I agree with Minnflyer- building is a hobby, flying is a sport. It's just too bad that most of us don't have time to practice every day!
Old 11-12-2010, 09:11 AM
Lnewqban

ORIGINAL: batdog

Does she always have to be right?
Don't you know that it is wrong to be right when your wife is wrong?.............

According to the Merriam-Webster's dictionary:

Main Entry: hobby
Function: noun
Etymology: short for hobbyhorse
Inflected Forms: plural hobbies
Date: 1816
: a pursuit outside one's regular occupation engaged in especially for relaxation
— hob•by•ist\-bē-ist\ noun

I agree with Mike: building is relaxing (although not many people build anymore), but flying is non-relaxing for most pilots (especially due to the fear of crashing or being criticized by others).
Old 11-12-2010, 09:16 AM
batdog

Hi Lnewqban  . Am I wrong ? Looking at websters defin. I don.t want my wife saying I Told you so.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:25 AM
MinnFlyer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I do have to agree with what others have said... No matter how wrong she is, tell her she's right!
Old 11-12-2010, 09:32 AM
goirish

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

The way I see it, building is a hobby, flying is a sport.

Tell her, ''You can't buy a Polo Mallet at Sports Authority either. Does that mean Polo is not a sport?''

Which brings up the next question, the answer to which I have net yet figured out: If flying is a sport, does that make my fat ***** an athlete?

Is you a Suma wrestler???[X(][X(][X(]
Old 11-12-2010, 10:33 AM
DenverJayhawk

web definition of SPORT is:

1. an active diversion requiring physical exertion and competition
2. the occupation of athletes who compete for pay

This is a hobby. The pros that compete can hardly be defined as "athletes competing for pay".
Old 11-12-2010, 10:47 AM
StevL

For me it's a hobby, keeping my mail orders from my wife.... now that's a sport

Steve
Old 11-12-2010, 12:19 PM
Masonhornet

It's a hobby... I cant really define what a sport is, but I know one when I see one, and I'm sorry folks but flying model airplanes doesn't cut it. I'm sure most athletes would laugh their tails off if you tried to convince them otherwise.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:29 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ahem.

This is precisely why the phrase "Yes, Dear" was invented.

Practice often.
Dave Olson
Old 11-12-2010, 01:03 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

As Minnflyer said,it's both. I think of it the same way, building is the hobby and flying is the sport.

Not known to too many people, but RC Flying is on the list of recognized sports that are eligible for compitition in the Olympics. While they don't have it as part of the current Olympic competitions, they could add it at a future date. Shooting events are in the Olympics and considered sport, just like RC Flying is.

Ken
Old 11-12-2010, 01:34 PM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Anyone who has ever witnessed or participated in any form of controlline flight: stunt, speed, racing or combat or any form of three pole RC pylon racing where you fly around yourself: Q500, Quarter Forty and others could possibly deny that all these are very much an athletic endever. To suggest otherwise would only be a fools ranting.

Now down to what differance it makes, among ourselves it makes not one bit of differance what we call ourselves and I do not care.

BUT and this is a really big But!

When it comes time to deal with any public entity or government and even just the lay public. If there is any form of perception among the above that we are hobbiest and not involved in a sport then the purse strings will be drawn tight and unavalible to us. If we present ourselves as a sport you would be surprised at how simply those strings loosen up and we can get real help.

Like it or not Sports are far easier to get any kind of public help for and it makes no differance if you always just fly on your own place. Some time somewhere you will be effected by the public perception of what we do and sports is only way we will ever be able to fit in.

It really behoves us to present what we do very much as a viable sport and nothing less.

Just an Opinon

John
Old 11-12-2010, 01:34 PM
batdog

Thats what I wanted to hear. You don't have to work up a sweat for it to be called a sport, although flying does have its moments (like landing) Thanks everyone I have enjoyed this thread. Batdog
Old 11-12-2010, 01:42 PM
vasek

RC is a hobby,

UC is a sport[>:]

Old 11-12-2010, 01:43 PM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, your wife ALWAYS has to be right ... get used to it, and you will live longer ... and happier!

Besides, flying r/c planes is a hobby. Unless you want to think of it as exercise or training for your thumbs.
Either way, your wife is ALWAYS right.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:46 PM
billd76
My Feedback: (3)

Hmmm, poker is a sport. Or at least ESPN thinks so. I think flying is more of a sport than hunting. A person can sit in a tree stand all day and do nothing. Therefore, it most definitley requires more skill to fly than hunt. But in this situation, there is only one true statement "yes dear, you are correct". It's the old cliche. For those the understand, no explanation is needed, for those that don't understand, no explanation is possible.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:58 PM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: vasek

RC is a hobby,

UC is a sport[>:]

Respectfully vasek that is wrong you omitted any form of three pole RC pylon racing is ever bit a sport as well as an athletic pursuit and it is popular in your country. Watch a three pole race sometime and then try to deny that is very much a sport.

On a larger scale if you fly at any public field or facility and even if you don,t it behoves us to start working on the publics perception that what we do and any form of model flying is indeed a sport.

To do otherwise will result in more soccer fields and fewer places to fly eventually. Its as simple as that.

John
Old 11-12-2010, 02:29 PM
JimmyZep

Golf is a sport.

Jimmy
Old 11-12-2010, 02:45 PM
smithcreek
My Feedback: (25)

acquaintance #1: "I was out rock-climbing last weekend. 300ft. up a sheer wall. There was barely anything to hang on to, it was amazing."

acquaintance #2: "That sounds cool, too scary for me, I run. I'm going to run the Boston Marathon this year, just started training for it."

acquaintance #3: "Phew, you guys are hardcore. I play handball in a league, it's pretty competitive, but mainly to see who buys the beer. What about you Dave, are you into any sports"

Dave: "Oh yeah, big time. I fly model airplanes."

(several moments of confused silence)

acquaintance #1: "uh... that sounds like fun. What about sports? Do you do any sports?

I'm sure you could define just about any activity you want as a sport. Competitive Tiddlywinks a sport? Heck yeah! It's physical, take concentration, skill, it's competitive. If someone wants to call rc a sport, more power to-ya, I prefer just to call it "something I do for fun." Calling Curling a sport is bad enough.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:54 PM
G.Barber

What about Curling? (the sport of sliding a large stone sown a sheet of ice against an opponent) Would you consider that a sport? Or bowling? There are sports out there that DO NOT require sweating to death or trying to kill yourself.

For that matter, fishing is considered a sport, and like one of the previous post said, skeet shooting is also a sport. Should fishing, skeet shooting, bowling, and curling be pulled from the ranks of sports and move to hobby? I sure don't think so!

Now, I love to fly RC planes, and almost any time I'm up, my heart starts pumping harder and I feel exhilarated- If that doesn't fit the definition of a sport, I don't know what does!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.