Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

useing parts

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

useing parts

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 10:48 PM
luker737
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default useing parts

I was wondering has anyone used part from one plane to build anther and did it fly .I have a fuselage from a kit and a wing form anther plane both are trainers there both are 40 size airplane parts .if i put these two together would the thing fly.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:28 PM
DMcQuinn
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: useing parts

Yes. go for it. If the wings are approximately the same size, it might fly great.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:40 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

What you are talking about is a time honored practice called kit bashing and there can be many different forms of it and many different degrees of difficulty. Sure it can work however you may want to enlist the aid of someone with some experiance to help in insuring success. There can be many pitfalls also but the rewards can also be great in terms of the sense of acomplishment you may enjoy.

What exactly are the componets you are planning and do you know from what aircraft?

Here is one of my more unusual kit bashs. It uses a wing from an unknown sixty sized sport aerobat and the fuselage from an early Great Planes high wing sport plane or trainer of some sort. The horizontal tail is set up to fall off in flight:

John
Old 11-22-2010, 12:36 AM
mike109

G'day

There is an old saying in aeronautics - "if it looks right, it probably is". So if you put the bits together and it looks like an aeroplane, then it will probably fly OK.

I am currently building a slightly modified Sig Kadet Senior. It started out because I wanted to build a Wing with ailerons similar to the ones in the ARF version of the Senior and I also happened to have a spare fuse kit. The result is a Kadet Senior with barn door ailerons, less dihedral, converted to tail dragger and with a slightly too large Saito 72 for nose weight. It is covered in an eclectic collection of yellow covering materials plus a bit or read and black because Kadet Seniors are large and use a lot of covering and I decided to use up some of my spare bits.

I am going to call him "Scraps".
Old 11-22-2010, 01:10 AM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

Yep it can work!
I once was given a trainer wing from an Alpha. So I made a fuse from plastic bats and called it the ALPHABAT. It got laughs and flew fine.
One of the tricks to doing this stuff is to usewhat works or set your incedence, CG, motor angles et by using a plan from a previous similar build.
Also parts from the same make of plane work.
USE WHAT YA GOT works! Here is a pic of my FRANKENTRAINER made from a Spad LT 40 knock off That had a Swizzle stick like fuse and Coroplast wing/tail and a sig LT 40.
I used the conventional kits wing and tail feathers and the spad's fuse. It aint gonna win no beauty contests but it is very light and flys great[8D]
The original LT 40 kit was bashed with a different tail shape and only half the wing dihedral.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:19 AM
CGRetired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John:

Can you explain this a bit more? Especially the last sentence.

Here is one of my more unusual kit bashs. It uses a wing from an unknown sixty sized sport aerobat and the fuselage from an early Great Planes high wing sport plane or trainer of some sort. The horizontal tail is set up to fall off in flight:
CGr
Old 11-22-2010, 10:12 AM
luker737

Thanks Guys I guess I'll give a try I hope it works I know what the fusealoge is but don't know what the wing is the man that gave it to me also gave me a Sig LT25 that had been crashed a few times so i think it's a wing from it so here go I'll let you know if it fly or not.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:35 AM
JohnBuckner

CG, My apologies I don,t have any vidio of this one mainly because the best vid man is also my caller, co-conspiritor.

Its a gag plane and the idea is to take off nicely, do one lap slowly and pass stage center around twenty feet high where a servo is keyed. There is a big bang and the horizontal falls off fluttering to the ground. Pitch to vertical at full power and start holloring lost it and to the co-conspiritor to yelling to give me down elevator. Of course he really does not faking it and everything is rehearsed. The subsiquent flight is only some wild manuvers for no more than about thirty seconds and an approach to landing with bounceing while rolling the sticks.

Its been a rather successful gag at a number of places of course with no other airplanes in the air.

The airplane flys best without the tail of course with elevons, MAC about 10% and perhaps
15 degrees of aileron reflex.

It flys horrible with the tail on which fights the elevon authority for takeoff and a tendency to pitch up into a loop needing to be held down and only about half power for the slow lap.

That fixed tailwheel breaket serves as a pivot for the stab to rotate down and there release pin releases the leading edge which has a spring to eject with a bang.

John
Old 11-22-2010, 12:35 PM
CGRetired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ah.. cool!!! must make a real fun gag at events. We did the flying lawn mower thing at a city air-show last year.. made quite a hit with the spectators. We made a skit out of it.. I walked behind as though I was going to cut grass with hit, then one of our guys, hiden in the crowd, took it away from my by taxi'ing faster than I could walk and took off into the air with it. You should have heard the crowd.

Anyway, sorry for hijacking.. back to the original subject.

CGr.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:40 PM
ec121
My Feedback: (2)

I used a piece of square, plastic downspout, and the remains of a 10ft glider once(wing and tail/fuse from behind the trailing edge). Put a Fox .25 with a 4oz. tank on it. That was as big a tank as I could slide up in the downspout. It flew fine except it was a little squirrelly in a crosswind when it first started rolling. Once the air hit the surfaces it was OK. I finally retired it. It was too heavy to glide well, but a fun project just to assemble and get it in the air.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:45 PM
JohnBuckner

EC very cool. Its bashs like that which sure are some times makeshift but we tend to really start learning about things like aerodynamics and so on.

Kit bashing in all its forms is one of the most wonderful things about our sport.

Luker If you could post some pictures it would be most helpful and you would get more imput that way. Possibly a side on view of the fuselage profile especially the wing saddle area and a top view of the wing with maybe some measurements of the wingspan and the wing chord (the distance from the leading edge of the wing to the trailing edge of the wing.

I beleve th LT 25's wing is slightly smaller than the genaric forty sized trainers but lets see what you got.

John
Old 11-22-2010, 06:32 PM
Oberst
Banned

Kit bashing is [8D]. Go for it!

Pete
Old 11-22-2010, 10:30 PM
Lnewqban

ORIGINAL: luker737

I was wondering has anyone used part from one plane to build anther and did it fly ...............if i put these two together would the thing fly.
I think these guys (British billionaire Richard Branson and aerospace designer Burt Rutan) started doing the same thing........and ended up puting together the WhiteKnightTwo / SpaceShipTwo, which will fly high enough to see the stars during the day.

Yes, you and us can too,..........just post some pictures, as suggested above.[sm=thumbs_up.gif]

Old 11-23-2010, 12:35 AM
luker737

I'll take some photo tomorrow and maybe a measurements is i remenber . the measurement that is.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:16 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Also called Trash Can Planes. At most clubs and events you will see planes sticking out of trash cans. A little CA, a bit of epoxy, some of your own stored parts from crashes {usually wings} and you have a new plane to fly. It's done all the time.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:09 AM
luker737

Well did some work on my trash plane and took some picture tryed to upload here on reply but didn't work anyway here the measerments the wing is59 1/2 long and 11 1/2 wide And i don't know what it is other then a flat botton wing I think it off a LT25 but not sure .Now the fusealoge it' 47 1/2 inchs long and it's a top flight kite that i built and covered . I put a K&B40 engine with a perry carb on it. all that left is to connect the servo up to everything and test fly it.
PSsomeone tell me how to add pictures to a reply. thanks
Old 11-24-2010, 12:44 PM
Lnewqban

See attached schematic.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:29 PM
luker737

Thanks Lnewqban.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:34 PM
luker737

Well here some pictures of my kite bash.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:12 PM
JohnBuckner

Fuselage and tailfeathers appear to be an old Top Flight Sierra trainer.

It appears to be a pretty good match the fuse wing saddles look to be intended for a relatively flat bottomed wing and your wing is of that type. The wings chord is very close to the original which would make the span and wing area sufficiently close to the original for it to fly well.

Do make sure the wing sits in the saddles without the trailing edge resting up on that sheeting on the fuse. There is no reason why it will not be fine flyer. Balance the cg at 25% (thats a quarter of the way back from the leading edge) and it will fly nicely.

John
Old 11-25-2010, 11:01 AM
luker737

Thanks JohnBuckner I think it will fly great and yes it is a top flight fusealoge tail feather. I'm going to try to fly it tomorrow or saturday if the weather is nice they say it's going to be 70 here in Texas sat.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:48 AM
LouisB

Search for "sturdy birdy". This is a plane made from left-over bits or you could just build one for fun. They're cheap. Just watch the weight. Also, I'm including a document on basic ratios.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:27 AM
luker737

Well I took my parts plane to the field Thursday and we tried to fly it . Well it didn't fly vary good vary hard to control couldn't get it to trim out all it wanted to do was turn left and climb.Can't figure it out all the measurement are correct .this is the second top flight plane i have had and bought of them wouldn't fly .the other one was a complete plane bought already built and checked out by 3 vary good pilots.I just don't understand.this is the plane that i built
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31338.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	1530102   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23796.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	1.56 MB
ID:	1530103  
Old 12-04-2010, 07:45 AM
Lnewqban

Luker,

Follow the steps of these articles for balancing and trimming, and the plane will fly just fine:

http://masportaviator.com/2006/08/08...d-up-part-one/

http://masportaviator.com/2006/08/09...d-up-part-two/

http://masportaviator.com/2006/09/05...up-part-three/

Make sure that the wing doesn't "roll" respect to the fuse and that it stays in line with the tail when it is supporting the weight of the plane.
Perform a lateral balance.
Shim the trailing edge of the wing and test fly; 1/8" at a time.

Remember: the wing is what flies and the elevator controls the AOA of the wing; the rest of the plane just follows.

Best luck with the next flights!