Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Please recommend me a plane.

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Please recommend me a plane.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 08:27 PM
V-Rodrider1130cc
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please recommend me a plane.

Today I got and older OS surpass 52 four strokenew in the boxin a trade. I am a beginner pilot and I am just flying a slowpoke and a Trainer 40. I would like to know everyones opinion on what plane to buy and install this four stroke on.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:32 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Please recommend me a plane.

Maybe a nice Space Walker ARF. Pretty much any 40 size plane you think you can handle but the small four strokes just seem to fit the Walkers.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:41 PM
V-Rodrider1130cc

Thanks I will check one out. Is it a high wing or low wing??
Old 11-27-2010, 08:52 PM
ameyam

Spacewackers are good but sports-scale. Try your hand with a Tiger first (or its clones like those from Phoenix) or a Dolphin (Phoenix) or something like that. These are low wing semi-symmetrical airfoil airplanes and will fly like your trainer if properly setup

There is a sticky in the forum (first three threads or so in the page) telling what you could take at your experience level and that list is quite comprehensive

Ameyam
Old 11-27-2010, 09:14 PM
V-Rodrider1130cc

I was thinking of putting on something that I can step up to once I am decent with my trainers.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:15 PM
noveldoc
My Feedback: (2)

I have flown that engine on several trainers like a Seniorita, BUSA Ugly Stik and a Seagull Models Arising Star. Very nice for slower steady flight.

Tom
Old 11-27-2010, 09:29 PM
mike109

G'day

If you would like to do a bit of building - my Surpass 52 is in a Sig Midstar 40 and flies it really well. The Midstar or the Four Star 40 would be perfect for it but I don't think there are any ARF versions at the moment. Both the Midstar and the Four Star kits are very easy to build and are excellent "second planes". The Midstar is a mid wing and flies like a Stick, the Four Star is a low wing but is very stable and nice to fly.

If you just want an ARF, the Great Planes Big Stick 40 would be a good match. I had an ASP 52 four stroke (clone of the Surpass 52) in one at one stage and it was fine.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:46 PM
Scirocco14

I'll 2nd the 4-Star 40 or Mid-Star 40 recommendation. It's a great next plane after the trainer stage! Since the 4-Star usually builds tail heavy, you need a little extra weight in the nose anyway and that OS 52 Surpass will be perfect. Attached is a picture of mine with a Webra 40 in it.

Mark
Old 11-27-2010, 10:01 PM
V-Rodrider1130cc

Very nice plane. It is catching my eye
Old 11-27-2010, 10:50 PM
oldvet70
My Feedback: (10)

An easy and inexpensive plane would be the Great Planes Escapade. Sells for $100-$110 dollars and the engine is a great match. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXVXN8&P=ML
Old 11-27-2010, 11:08 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm not up on what is available in ARFs or even some of the kits today but if you like the 4* then you would like the Super Sportster too. I used the SS for teaching kit building some years ago, very nice plane. Then I changed over to the 4*60 kits. Both are nice planes, I have built too many 4*s now so next student I get I will try to go back to the SS. The SS is a bit harder to fly but is a much better stunt trainer.
Another good choice would be any of the Sticks.
I'm a big fan of the Up-Roars, they come in kit and ARF. The Dazzler is about the same plane but looks a lot nicer with the turtle deck and sleeker controls.
The Easy Sport is a sholder wing plane that a few years back was used for peoples second plane after there trainer. Very stable plane and not a bad little stunt plane.
An all time favorite is the Kaos. Not a second plane for most people but the little 40 size with trike gear is easy to control on the ground and can be a great stunt trainer depending on how you set up the controls.
Just look around for any plane that you like in the 40 size and it will be a good match up for your engine. Your OS is a very good engine by the way.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:16 AM
ameyam

I havent flown the 4*s so I dont know about them.

The Super Sportster is a good airplane. Similar to the Tigers but a little more harder to fly.

The Uproar and the Dazzler are fun-fly airplanes- easy to fly but tiny. One of them does not have a detacahble wing (not sure which one) in case that matters to you

The Easysport is a very good candidate if you are going into stunts. Its large (61" span), stable and has lots of control authority for everything except 3D

Kaos (and its clones, then again the Kaos itself may be a clone) is a very good airplane to fly. In Phoenix you have the Scanner and the Dolphin which is very nearly the same airplane. I think the AstroHog is the same.

Gp Escapade is also very good but it is pattern and a bit smaller than your trainer.

If you want to venture into 3D in the future, you may want to look at the UCD 40/ 60 and the Reactor 46. These will make good sports fliers if you keep the speed and the throws moderate

If you are kit-building, you can look at the Rapture and the Ultrasport.

I think thats about all I can think of now

Ameyam