Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

New Radio's Antenna Question

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

New Radio's Antenna Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 09:08 PM
armody
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Radio's Antenna Question

CGRetired,

Well, I have always been curious about the position of antenna, that's why I started this thread, and it would grab attention of a lot of expert, senior well experienced fliers. So it's great to learn through people's experience which I always learn.

We can rename it lol, Antennas for dummies
Old 12-04-2010, 03:40 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nah, we can keep it the way it is.. my point was that I never knew that there was so much information out there about antenna positions. I thought holding the transmiter so that the antenna is in an upright position was all I needed to know.

CGr.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:30 PM
armody

CGRetired,

Yep you are right, I don't own one 2.4 Ghz but had always been curious about it's Antenna's position, either right, left or upward not straight, pretty much my concept has been cleared now, before try out a new thing it's good to have some research done before hand. 2.4 is not new but it's new for me as I don't have one.

I really enjoyed reading every single comments on this post.

Thank y'all again

Happy flying tomorrow

Mody
Old 06-14-2011, 11:56 AM
djmille

Is this thread dead? When searching for a new radio, it's been an interesting read.
I noticed most of the discussion was to orient an antenna sideways or vertical, but there is not much mention of vertical down. This is probably because most radios don't allow it (and I'm not sure why). If the antenna is pointed 45 down toward the dirt directly in front of you, then you will never be in the cone of silence. (Unless you fly directly behind your head, or 200 feet below the dirt).

Understanding that a common response is "I've never had a problem" this doesn't necessarily mean the signal radiation is optimized for best quality.

There are only a couple I've seen that allow the 2.4 antenna to be pointed downward while holding the TX flat. Even within the same brand, there are differences. I can tell you that for giant scalel aerobatics, a right pointing antenna will put your plane in the most inefficient RF footprint when you are holding your body parallel to the flightline with the plane on the far right side of the aerobatic box coming down from a maneuver.

-DJ
Old 06-14-2011, 12:05 PM
armody

Hi DJ,

I started that thread long before I had 2.4 GHz Radio. I bought Hitec's Aurora 9 2.4 GHz January 2011. I went through the manual and it strictly says that the antenna's position should be directed upwards/vertical. I never tried to use it having antenna directing straight not directing upwards. I've been told by a friend of mine who is a senior flier that having antenna pointing straight creates a dead zone. I've seen people using various brands of Tx, either their antenna's position is vertical, or horizontal left or right, and I think pointing antenna down would result in drastic outcome.

Yes, certainly this is a great thread with so much great input by great senior members over here.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:25 PM
djmille

By pointing down, I was referring to a 45 degree down angle toward the front. This would never put the aircraft in the "silent area" unless the TX was held up. Most manufacturers are vague on antenna position, other than "don't point at aircraft". If earth acts as a huge ground plane, then you would certainly want it pointed strait up and try to avoid flying high overhead (which sometimes happens at aerobatic contests). I think the antenna angled to the side would be great for pylon racers.
If only we could rent data loggers to capture frame errors and run some tests of our own!
-DJ
Old 06-14-2011, 01:30 PM
armody

My bad, I must've overlooked the 45 degrees part. Have you tried 45 degrees downward and which radio are you using, just curious.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:28 PM
djmille

I have flown a Futaba TM8 module in a 9C for about 4 years. I have always had the antenna pointed slightly down and strait in front.
Never had a problem, but since I lost a 40% Extra to RF control loss, I have been doing a little browsing through the forums. My equipment all still works fine after the crash.
-DJ
Old 06-14-2011, 06:53 PM
armody

Sorry about your plane, and that must've been a big loss. I used to be a JR guy, but after a lot of research and reading, I decided to buy Hitec Aurora 9 2.4 GHz and I'm very very happy with it. I read a lot about the antennas and you are the first one who uses 45 degrees downwards and I'm amazed, and at least I learned something new
Old 06-14-2011, 09:40 PM
scooterinvegas

Radiation pattern for both 72 and 2.4 transmitters. The “z” axis represents the antenna with nulls on both ends.

The objective is to orient your antenna to keep your jet in the “fat” part of the radiation pattern and away from the “hole” or null off the end. To achieve this, always have your antenna perpendicular to the anticipated flight path. For a 2.4 transmitter this can best be accomplished with the antenna positioned to near perpendicular (bent) and pointing at your head. One null is directly behind you and the other points into the ground immediately in front of you, two areas where hopefully you won’t be flying! If you naturally hold your transmitter pointing downward, the same effect can be achieved by positioning the antenna straight out and pointing at the ground.

copied from HENRY COUNTY RC.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:11 PM
djmille

ORIGINAL: scooterinvegas

Radiation pattern for both 72 and 2.4 transmitters. The “z” axis represents the antenna with nulls on both ends.

The objective is to orient your antenna to keep your jet in the “fat” part of the radiation pattern and away from the “hole” or null off the end. To achieve this, always have your antenna perpendicular to the anticipated flight path. For a 2.4 transmitter this can best be accomplished with the antenna positioned to near perpendicular (bent) and pointing at your head. One null is directly behind you and the other points into the ground immediately in front of you, two areas where hopefully you won’t be flying! If you naturally hold your transmitter pointing downward, the same effect can be achieved by positioning the antenna straight out and pointing at the ground.

EXACTLY !!!!!!! How you hold the transmitter is everything. Some people use body english; I don't. It's alway flat and my shoulders stay perfectly parallel to the flight line (IMAC flying). The 45 down in front is going to achieve the highest signal quality in my case. I'm trying to get a new transmitter and finding that many 2.4 TXs have different antenna rotating/pivoting limitations. I can't buy a Futaba 8FG, or T10, and point the antenna 45 down in front for best signal. I would have to point it strait at my nose which is about as good as I can get. If you hold the TX slightly angled up (like reading a book), then point up at your face is is probably best. Great graphic by the way.

-DJ
Old 06-15-2011, 06:39 AM
armody

DJ,

Do let me know when you buy the new radio. What do you think about Hitec's Aurora 9?