Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Another Starting Question !!!!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Another Starting Question !!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2003, 06:16 PM
DragonHeart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Starting Question !!!!!!!

Hi,

Ive posted before about starting problems, but the reason for this post is the following...........

I can seem to start the engine every single time using a finger stick, and without the spinner on............. but when i try to use an electric starter with the spinner it just comes off, but the electric spinner seems to spin slow !!!!!!!!!! it never used to before and as its new also the 12v battery is new, any ideas what is causing this ? and would that have caused the spinner to come off ???????

I charge the battery for around 12 hours during the night before flying...... im guessing thats about right ?

But im really asking is as the engine allways used to get stuck is this because the electric spinner i was using isnt producing enought power ? and any ideas why it is producing less now ? Is it ok to fly without a spinner .........

Any advise would be kindly appreciated Thx , atleast i know its not the engine now
Old 08-02-2003, 06:59 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Another Starting Question !!!!!!!

Originally posted by DragonHeart
Hi,

I charge the battery for around 12 hours during the night before flying...... im guessing thats about right ?

But im really asking is as the engine allways used to get stuck is this because the electric spinner i was using isnt producing enought power ? and any ideas why it is producing less now ? Is it ok to fly without a spinner .........

As far as a weak starter since you seem to be getting an ample charge (if useing a auto 6/12 volt charger check to see you have not bumped the switch to 6 volts) there could be a number of reasons i.e. old tired battery a battery of inadaquate capacity. The symtoms you described (getting stuck) could also be flooding of the engine or over priming.

John
Old 08-03-2003, 01:09 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What amperage is your 12 volt battery? Many of those sold are 7 amps, when you really need 10 or more.
Old 08-03-2003, 01:12 AM
C_Watkins
My Feedback: (10)

My starter was a bit slow... ok... a LOT slow, the last time I went out.
I finally realized, that that's what happens, when you plug into the GLOW ports on the panel

Not saying you did that... just that it reminded me of my own blunder.
Old 08-04-2003, 11:13 AM
Steve Lewin

No it is not O.K. to fly without a spinner (the one that fits on the engine, you confuse things by using exactly the same word for the starter !). It is against BMFA rules to have a bare prop nut and may void your insurance.

OTOH if your engine hand starts without the spinner how does putting the spinner on prevent you from hand starting it ?

Steve
Old 08-04-2003, 07:01 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Thank you Steve for bringing that to my attention and I have corrected my above post accordingly. I was thinking in terms of function and not regulatory which got me thinking and after a reveiw of the US AMA saftey code in this case there is no restriction on a simple nutted crankshaft but there is a listed recomendation and a quote from the FAI sporting code that list only this statement "Avoid using a pointed spinner".
I did find in the AMA competition regulations for example the venue of my interest pylon, a specific rule that states "the front end of the engine shall be covered with a rounded spinner or safety nut". There may be similar such restrictions also for various other specific competition venues but there is none in the general safety code and it is fairly common here to sport fly here with a nutted shaft. Yes I am aware that you and the other gentleman are from the UK and thanks agine for the correction.

John