Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

why no rx batt.

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

why no rx batt.

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 11:24 AM
45cal
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why no rx batt.

I,m getting back into rc after being away from it for25+ yrs, boy have things have change. my best rig at that time was kraft single stick TX on 72-240, super kaos with a kraft 61 hung on the nose. I have been looking at new radios and notice that most do not come with RX batt pack. what up with this?
Old 12-02-2010, 11:33 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: why no rx batt.

Most radio systems today do not come with servos or a receiver battery, as you have already noticed. Back 10 years or more there were very few options for receivers and batteries. Everybody used the same "sport" servos and the supplied receiver battery would serve just about anything you wanted to fly. And besides, there were very few alternative options anyway.

However, today it totally different. There are so many different batteries and servos there are just too many variations and options to mention. So instead of supplying a battery and servos that many users won't even use most manufacturers have opted to simply leave them out and lower the cost of the radio. This is just a smart way of doing business. The same radio these days can be used for a park flyer that ways only a few ounces or it can be used in a giant scale plane that ways over a hundred pounds. The servos and batteries for each type are so different. If they are supplied more than likely both types of pilots out simply throw out the stock battery and put their own in. By not including a battery the user isn't wasting money on something they won't use.

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 12-02-2010, 03:18 PM
noveldoc
My Feedback: (2)

Also, a lot of people are going electric and drawing off the main power battery via a BEC to power servos and receiver.

Tom
Old 12-03-2010, 11:53 AM
opjose

Even for those rare radio sets where RX batteries are still supplied, I've never used what came with the package.

Nowadays 1200mAh packs are about the smallest RX packs I'll use.... so I rather have the small cost savings.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:55 AM
PatrickCurry
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: opjose

Even for those rare radio sets where RX batteries are still supplied, I've never used what came with the package.
I agree. My Spektrum DX7 radio came with a 4.8V battery even after it was fairly well acknowledged that you're playing with fire running a 4.8V RX battery with the Spektrum RX's. Your best bet 45Cal is check out what guys in your local club are running if you think you might require some start up help. That way you'll have what they're familiar with and you'll always be able to get a helping hand. If you're the "DIY" kind however, you'll find plenty of research material here to buy whatever you please!
Old 12-04-2010, 01:13 PM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Spektrum DX7 comes with servos and a 1100mah 4 cell pack.

CGr.