Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Hey you guys on the west coast eat your heart out

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Hey you guys on the west coast eat your heart out

Old 12-12-2010, 06:15 AM
goirish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey you guys on the west coast eat your heart out

Here is some picture of my flying field in the making. 1st picture is a 60+ acre hay field getting the top coat of snow ready to fly my float planes. This view is from my driveway. 3rd picture looking from the driveway to the right is my second bean field about 40 acres getting ready for flying. Be happy to send of the white stuff to you. Now if you really want a lot then contact the guys in NY.[8D][8D][8D]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81110.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	211.5 KB
ID:	1533170   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21834.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	1533171   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43473.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	196.2 KB
ID:	1533172  
Old 12-12-2010, 06:28 AM
goirish

Default RE: Hey you guys on the west coast eat your heart out

for some reason it won't load the pictures will try later Had to do them one at a time.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:53 AM
summerwind

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

haha.........i think it's really Xmas when i see pictures like this.
i lived in WA state as a kid till i was 8, then Dad stationed here in central CA.........Xmas has never been the same since, but we still enjoy.
shame to admit it, but i have turned into such a candy azz that i don't go out unless it's above 60 these days...[:-].......but i would love to try flying on skiis
Old 12-12-2010, 07:13 AM
Mk23socom
My Feedback: (7)

I learned to fly on skis, it was the best, landings were so much fun!!!!!!
Old 12-12-2010, 07:32 AM
scooterinvegas
My Feedback: (1)

Today is 67 deg and sunny............... I'm thinking you can have that white stuff. More power to ya!
Old 12-12-2010, 07:49 AM
TomBates

I'm willing to give away every little flake we've had so far. And of course all the other ones after Xmas. Yep, we need to have a white Xmas.

Tom
Old 12-12-2010, 08:07 AM
ChuckW

ORIGINAL: summerwind

haha.........i think it's really Xmas when i see pictures like this.
i lived in WA state as a kid till i was 8, then Dad stationed here in central CA.........Xmas has never been the same since, but we still enjoy.
shame to admit it, but i have turned into such a candy azz that i don't go out unless it's above 60 these days...[:-].......but i would love to try flying on skiis
There were some guys flying little electrics off the snow last new years day up the hill at Shaver Lake. Looked like a lot of fun.

My wife sometimes talks about how she misses living in the NE with all the harsher winter weather. Then we spent the weekend in Tahoe a few weeks ago when all that bad snow and ice hit. When she almost slipped and fell several times and it took me nearly an hour to dig the car out, she came to her sense.

Old 12-12-2010, 08:10 AM
goirish

come on to Michigan and give it a try. This is all you need. nothing like watching that rooster tail as the plane takes off.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99945.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	1533219  
Old 12-12-2010, 08:14 AM
ChuckW

ORIGINAL: goirish

come on to Michigan and give it a try. This is all you need. nothing like watching that rooster tail as the plane takes off.
I tell you what... I think Michigan gets a bad rap from some people. I've been a couple times and there is some beautiful stuff up there. I keep saying I need to get back in that part of the US one of these days.

Old 12-12-2010, 08:19 AM
goirish

ORIGINAL: ChuckW

I tell you what... I think Michigan gets a bad rap from some people. I've been a couple times and there is some beautiful stuff up there. I keep saying I need to get back in that part of the US one of these days.

If you have ever been over on Lake Michigan side of the state it is beautifullllllll. I snow ski up around Harbor Springs and you can'f find a prettier place. I live in the south central part. All farm land and very flat. Actually kind of boring.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:42 AM
rgm762
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All farm land and very flat. Actually kind of boring.
never been to kansas huh
Old 12-12-2010, 09:16 AM
goirish

ORIGINAL: rgm762

never been to kansas huh
Ha, Ha, ya got me. I never seen a state that grows as many telephone poles at Kansas
Old 12-12-2010, 09:22 AM
rgm762
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: rgm762

never been to kansas huh
Ha, Ha, ya got me. I never seen a state that goes as many telephone poles at Kansas
yea, them poles are our #1 crop grown here, plus they do some serious damage to planes, don't ask, it wasn't pretty
Old 12-12-2010, 09:34 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

We had snow up 'till yesterday...was kinda looking fwd to getting out the float planes [8D]

Gonna have to wait a bit though, because it's 40 degrees today and drizzling...snow's almost gone...

Doesn't hurt my feelings though.. we have 3-4 more months to get pllleeeennnntttyyy more.....

I've got relatives in Michigan...Mt. Clemens...Grand Rapids...Holland...Luther and Paris...(last two are wide spots in the road...blink and you'll miss 'em )
Old 12-12-2010, 09:42 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Oh dang it Gene, it was only in the low 70s and calm here yesterday, I was just outside in a tee shirt having my coffee and a smoke. I was really looking forward to another white Xmas!! Got some emails this morning asking me to go flying but I didn't have a van to get out there so I'm stuck here at home building. Xmas party tonight at a country club, my wood working clubs big shindig. My building buddy in NY wrote me and said it has been snowing for three days and 15 degrees. I think Scooter and I will just have to tough this out and be content with what we have.
My daughter and grand kids are in Kansas, they have never had to worry about the boys running away from home, they can see them for three days after they leave!!!!
Gene
Old 12-12-2010, 09:46 AM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Snowed like that here a month ago....lol

We already have snow measured in feet in the mountains. Skiing has been open since before Thanksgiving.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:58 AM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Guys, I'm hurt! Let's look at facts.

Kansas altitude changes from 679 feet to 4039 feet.
Michigan altitude goes from 572 feet to only 1979 feet.

But if you want to see flat, go to the central valley in California. Must drop about 10 feet over a 300 mile stretch going down I-5.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:00 AM
crash bandicoute

my side of washington only gets awesome snow about everyother year. some pineapple express crap going on right now. who knows. can't wait to get home and get into some of that action if it decides to dump this year. last year was crap. we got a couple little powders, that's it. i got my cub itching to get on the floats, though. i'm too scared of the water.

do you have any radio interference or problems when flying with it snowing or like a misty rain? as it rains alot here, i'm curious, but never brave enough to get out and find out. kind of cuts down on the time to flying in the summer. it's the only bummer about living here. it's so beautiful otherwise.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:08 AM
Gray Beard

You must be on the eastern side, I was from the Tacoma area and my sled got used a lot when I was a kid.
I have flown in the snow and heavy rain when I lived in Calif. I was living on the base of a mountain just outside of Yosemite. The signal was never lost but you can't believe what happens when you get water in your TX. I didn't think about the baggie until after the fact!!
Must have been that dumbass married to my wife flying on that day.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:21 AM
crash bandicoute

that's funny. i live on the western side though. just south of tacoma. actually puyallup. but i keep going overseas every time the snow hits good. guess it puts me back there in the summer for flying time though. i have seen a couple good years. winter 08, we bought our house down in the valley, in orting, and we must have got 2 feet over the entire winter. that was awesome. last year sucked and this year, the wife said we got some a couple weeks ago that was nice, but here i am stuck in colorado. not the nice snowy part, either. flipping colorado springs. man this place is flat. that john denver's a liar... coming home shortly, after about 8 weeks. can't wait to bust out the snow shovel. i miss the snow from growing up in illinois. wish it hit like that here every year. but i guess i'll make it with a little every once in a while.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:22 AM
goirish

ORIGINAL: CowboyLifesaver

Snowed like that here a month ago....lol

We already have snow measured in feet in the mountains. Skiing has been open since before Thanksgiving.

If you are talking about the stick on floats. The engine is a 91 fs. Will do everything but a knife edge.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:25 AM
goirish

ORIGINAL: crash bandicoute

my side of washington only gets awesome snow about everyother year. some pineapple express crap going on right now. who knows. can't wait to get home and get into some of that action if it decides to dump this year. last year was crap. we got a couple little powders, that's it. i got my cub itching to get on the floats, though. i'm too scared of the water. [img][/img]

do you have any radio interference or problems when flying with it snowing or like a misty rain? as it rains alot here, i'm curious, but never brave enough to get out and find out. kind of cuts down on the time to flying in the summer. it's the only bummer about living here. it's so beautiful otherwise.

I have never flown when it is misting. but certainly have flown when it is snowing. not interference. Only problem with this plane. White snow, white plane. Don't take your eye off of it.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:32 AM
goirish

crash bandicoute
My daughter just got back from WA- Went to the Boeing Corp to help set up a physical therapy dept for them. Said the buildings were awesome. See got to see them putting together one of the 700 series commerical planes. They gave here a 8 x 10 photo of the cockpit of the new plane.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:43 AM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: crash bandicoute

that's funny. i live on the western side though. just south of tacoma. actually puyallup. but i keep going overseas every time the snow hits good. guess it puts me back there in the summer for flying time though. i have seen a couple good years. winter 08, we bought our house down in the valley, in orting, and we must have got 2 feet over the entire winter. that was awesome. last year sucked and this year, the wife said we got some a couple weeks ago that was nice, but here i am stuck in colorado. not the nice snowy part, either. flipping colorado springs. man this place is flat. that john denver's a liar... coming home shortly, after about 8 weeks. can't wait to bust out the snow shovel. i miss the snow from growing up in illinois. wish it hit like that here every year. but i guess i'll make it with a little every once in a while.
Parkland, and the sledding hill was the hill just the next street south of the Parkland Theater. All the kids would walk down the hill to pack the snow down then we would be good until it started melting. That area was also our U-control field during the summer when I was a kid.
Gene, you must now buy a big can of Hershey's Cocoa, unsweetened, a bag of the small marshmallows and whipped cream. I had to start making up hot cocoa here as soon as we had our first cold snap. I only saw about 10 snow flakes but that was all it took for my wife to require her super cocoa. {{Not that I like it myself!!}}
Stay warm!!!
Gene
Old 12-12-2010, 12:04 PM
at101

it is so flat that If your dog runs away from you it is your fault

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.