Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Question about fuel tank

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Question about fuel tank

Old 12-12-2010, 08:57 AM
luker737
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about fuel tank

I bought me a great plans big stick 40 ARF .I'm BUILD IN NOW I HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT the fuel tank the tank fits in a hole built for it and is vary tight there is no room for any foam rubber to put around it I'm i going to have trouble with air bubbles in my fuel.I'm putting a magnum52 on itwith a 12x6 prop.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:05 AM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Question about fuel tank

I usually wedge tanks in with chunks and slivers of styrofoam with no problems. Gave up that heavy foam rubber years ago.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:15 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Some years ago the fuel manufactures started using an anti foaming agent and the old problem of foaming fuel from vibration has pretty much gone away.I still use a foam pad when I'm flat mounting a tank but no longer wrap them like we used to. I haven't had any problems with foaming. I do like to hog out the tight formers though and wedge my tanks into the fuse using foam depending on the type of plane. You shouldn't have any foaming problems but I have had a tank spring a leak due to a hole in the side from being rubbed from vibration over time. A little foam on the sides would have solved that problem.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:33 AM
luker737
My Feedback: (11)

thanks guys and i think i'll try to put something in so it won't spring a leak..
Old 12-12-2010, 09:41 AM
crash bandicoute

i rarely wrap my fuel tanks in a lot of foam. i quit using the rubber foam stuff long ago as well, as i have chunks of foam padding from packages laying around in the shop that i cram in the area to dampen some of the vibration. i usually install one of these type filters inside the tank instead of the normal clunk, and have never had a problem with bubble issues or dead sticks. if you don't have one, or you think it's too late to get one, just cut up that foam rubber stuff and put some in the area, cram your tank in and then stuff little pieces around the edges and back as good as you can. (just don't cram so much in that you kink your fuel lines).the filter/clunk, i think, helpes with any bubbles OR anything that may be in your fuel or tank. your takeoff roll and touch and goes are going to cause more vibration, and CHANCE of bubbles, than any part of the flight envelope. if your still skeptacle, put it in and run a tank, or less, at high power and see if it develops any issues. if not you should be just fine. NOW QUIT FINDING EXCUSES NOT TO FLY AND GO HAVE A BLAST!!!! dead sticks aren't that bad anyway. i run out of fuel all the time. should be part of your training, also. good luck with your flying. you could also take a piece of fuel line, slit it lengthwise (not in two pieces) and epoxy it on the former where it would rub on the tank to prevent wear through, as gray beard is talking about, if you have the slightest amount of space. kind of how cockpit coaming works???

here's a link to the filter: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXD741&P=0

Old 12-12-2010, 09:50 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought a sheet of thick open cell foam at a sewing center just for stuffing the tanks in the fuse. It's not for any foaming issues, just easy to use for holding in the tanks. I had a great video site from Europe with a tank hard mounted outside of the fuse with a video camera pointed at the tank, it was mounted on the wing. The video was to show what the fuel was doing in the tank during flight while doing stunts. Outstanding video too but the site is no longer up. It also showed there was no foaming at all. I had the site on favorites so I could show friends and students what was going on inside the tank during flight to help them with there aircraft set up. One of the best I had ever seen.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:02 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: crash bandicoute

I usually install one of these type filters inside the tank instead of the normal clunk, and have never had a problem with bubble issues or dead sticks.

here's a link to the filter: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXD741&P=0

Yeah those work GREAT! I've used them in a lot of planes.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:14 PM
oldtyme

ORIGINAL: luker737

I bought me a great plans big stick 40 ARF .I'm BUILD IN NOW I HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT the fuel tank the tank fits in a hole built for it and is vary tight there is no room for any foam rubber to put around it I'm i going to have trouble with air bubbles in my fuel.I'm putting a magnum52 on itwith a 12x6 prop.
Don't worry about it. I've been flying my Big Stick 60 for a lot of years and I've never had fuel foaming problems. The only problem you will have is when your fuel tank splits at the lip in front........notice I said when and not if?.........you will discover that GP does not make a replacement for it so you will have to find another tank that will fit. I ended up making a hatch in the top of the fuse so I didn't have to argue with how the replacement tank would fit. Those are great planes though, you'll have a ball with it. I've got a lot of hours on mine.

cheers,
Andy
Old 12-13-2010, 10:32 AM
opjose

Gotta love those Big Stik 60's.

I kamakazi'd mine into the ground during a funfly combat session.

The fuse was completely mangled and broken clean through in five places... firewall, forward wing mount, behind the wings, tail area...

I collected all of the pieces.

Back home I removed the covering, and rebuilt my relatively easy to re-assemble "jigsaw puzzle".... adding a bit of additional re-inforcement.

A couple of hours of drying later and some new covering... the plane looked as good as new.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:05 PM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I built an engine stand that had a solid mounted tank using rubber bands and "J" hooks. The engine stand was hard clamped to a run-in table. The vibration from the engine resulted not so much foaming, none really, but the fuel really "sprtized" all around inside the tank. I added a piece of the 1/4" foam under the tank and no more spritzing. This was true for an OS .46 AX up to a YS 1.10.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:56 PM
DenverJayhawk

i had the same issue with the tight fitting tank in my big stik 60. i ended up gluing some foam to the bottom of the fuse. Then I slide the tank in on top of the foam.

I have tons of flight time on my Big Stik. I've moved on to electrics, but the stik is the one nitro model I keep around. I can't bare to part with it. I also love to fly it on windy days (20mph +) when everyone else flying the light electrics is grounded It's one of the only times I have the entire sky to my self.