Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Comming Back after 10 Year hietus, 72 Mhz vs 2.4Ghz?

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Comming Back after 10 Year hietus, 72 Mhz vs 2.4Ghz?

Old 12-24-2010, 10:54 AM
Jim_Purcha
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Comming Back after 10 Year hietus, 72 Mhz vs 2.4Ghz?

I agree. Most of the people with newer equipment are on 2.4. Most of the time,I'm the only one on 72. When I'm not the only person, the other person is on the same channel.

I'll eventually go to 2.4, but not I still have several receivers on 72 and my Futaba 6EAX was purchased the year before 2.4 came out. I wanted to be able to save plane settings.

Jim
ORIGINAL: GraemeEllis

72 is fine. I have never had a problem, been shot down, or had any glitches.

Best of all, as most people are heading to 2.4, the chance of someone else being on your channel is next to nil!
Also, as the technology has been well tested over the years, you will have more support and fewer new problems. I have heard and seen several models on 2.4 crash due to radio glitches and failures. It is newer technology, and there is still much to learn.

If you have a working 72 radio, there is no reason to change. You may wish to update to a computer radio, but for most sport flying it will be fine.

Graeme
Old 12-24-2010, 12:21 PM
Skinny Bob
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GruntboyX, take a look at these transmitters, they have built in scanners that let you check your location and will also warn you while you are flying if anyone comes on your frequency. They can be used with any FM receiver. These are synthesized radios allowing you to change the frequency if there is a conflict. I have two of them and they are great.
Not sure if they are still available.

Bob
Old 12-24-2010, 12:23 PM
Skinny Bob
My Feedback: (12)

Gruntboyx, check out this site. http://www.polkshobby.com/index1.html
Old 12-24-2010, 01:06 PM
Roo Man
My Feedback: (1)

[/quote]

Great Point. I never thought about that. I have a Futaba 7UAP, I believe it is still a narrow band radio however. Any way I can find out?

If I were you, I would look into a Frtsky aftermarket conversion from 72MHZ to 2.4GHX. It has gotten very good reviews [see RC Review web page}. I purchased one 8 channel comversion module which included [8] channel recriver and antenna and then [5] 8 channel receivers for $139.00 total. I am now able to keep and use my old faithful 8UAP and save over $750.00 over a new Fuyaba system.
Old 12-24-2010, 01:16 PM
oliveDrab

I have used my Futaba T7CHP since 2003 and have never had any issues with the radio. If it ain't broke don't fix it. There's not much technical expertise in that statement so I'll relate a conversation I had with an expert who should know.

Last November I attended the Jet FlyIn at Superstition Airpark in Apache Junction. Half the jets were real turbines and the other half were EDF's. The star of the event was a guy (can't remember his name) with a red-ish delta wing turbine jet with canards, with Team Futaba. This looked to be a $15,000 turbine-powered jet. When I asked him whether he was using 2.4 Ghz or 72 Mhz he said "Neither. I fly in the Ham radio range". And then I asked him if he had any qualms about flying his expensive jet plane with a 72 Mhz radio. He looked at me like I was a crazy and said he would have no problem flying it with 72 Mhz.

There's nothing wrong with using a 72 Mhz radio.....provided you extend the antenna and don't fly on the same channel as others. Why spend more money?
Old 12-24-2010, 02:02 PM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why all the focus on the frequency? A radio is a radio... the difference in my mind is the programmable functionality of the radio. I like being able to have 30 models in my transmitter. It means that I can select any of my soon to be 30 airplane hangar and fly without worrying about a radio setup each time. I don't have multiple transmitters, etc... (yes I know that a lot of the programming is available on the advanced 72 radios).

I can set end points, I can set low and high rates, I can program throttle curves, I can program mixes, I can assign switches to functions, how many channels does the radio have.

There are so many things that the computer based radios can do that I would not fly with a 10 or 20 year old radio. If I had an old 72 mhz radio that could not do these functions, I would make a new radio an early purchase when coming back into the hobby. I would get at least a 7 channel radio... Choosing between Spektrum, Futaba, JR, or Hitec is a very important decision. There are good and bad points about each radio. You might want to buy a Spektrum Dx6i because it is a relatively cheap computer based radio. Don't buy a pot full of receivers until you understand the differences between manufacturers. You should look carefully about your local field and take a survey of what they are using. If you buy what they are using, they will be able to help you program the radio and make changes.

72 or 2.4 is not the central question to ask... I would fly what I have until I purchased a good 2.4 computer radio.
Old 12-24-2010, 07:50 PM
rambler53
My Feedback: (494)

Are you planning to have 30 ready to fly planes in your hangar? It's certainly not the norm. How many go in the air on a given day? I have about 20 planes but only fly about 6 of them. Instead of studying 4 radio companies advertising claims of response time in the milliseconds, just use what you have, and spare yourself the drama of geek speak specs that really provide you nothing special in how you fly the plane. 7U is still a respectable radio with plenty of features and no nonsense programming of it's own. How many planes have dual servo elevators, and if you do, why not just get a reversing Y connector instead? You can work around anything to overcome a limit on a radio. Stick to low dollar FM / PCM receivers you can quickly pick up here on the marketplace for under $30 each. $200-400 spent elsewhere in your hobby goes a long way, and every low dollar 72Mhz receiver you buy affords you a new battery to go with it.
I see the Hitec Prism radios, Futaba 6X, and even a couple gold metal Futaba radios at our field to this day, plugging along fine, unaware 2.4 is supposed to be the better wheel.
Old 12-25-2010, 03:59 AM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Well, at the current point I have 4 helicopters, 2 WWI planes, 3 Extras, a Cub, Lancair, 2 Showtimes, a Pulse60, and a 60 sized Mustang... and I have others in the wings... I am not unusual for someone in the hobby.

That is 15 aircraft that I fly regularly... so having to change the radio settings each time to fly a particular plane is hard to justify.. and the possibility of a mistake increases. I just select the plane I want to fly in the menu. Check the surfaces and fly. When I move a receiver to a different airplane, I don't automatically trash the settings, I create a new plane in the radio.... so it is easy to get to 30 models.

Geek Speak... well, if that is what you want to call it, but you are in the minority. Sure your system works, but for a guy getting into the hobby(as this thread is about), it is a mistake to pursue your choice.

I would not put a reversing Y in a plane of mine if it were the last choice. I prefer to have each flight control surface on it's own channel... I have seen too many things go wrong with reversing Y harnesses.

Fly and have fun.
Old 12-25-2010, 06:08 AM
rgm762
My Feedback: (4)

I fully understand some of what on your six is saying, I have the exact radio the OP has, the futaba 7u, it's a wonderful radio, has all the programming needs a beginner can use, expo, ept, channel mixing, trainer, plus more and it even has some a beginner shouldn't use such as snap roll, the one and only knock i have against it is that it's a single model memory, so go ahead and use it but just keep that in the back of your mind when you start adding planes to your hanger, you'll proably want to upgrade your radio system, unless you want to reprogram your radio each time you fly a different plane
Old 12-25-2010, 06:36 AM
Insanemoondoggie

Use you 72 for now, and while your knocking 10 yrs of rust off, do some research on new radios and 2.4 technology.
JohnBunker and others,said it very well, computer radios enable you to persue the hobby in directions that are limited to the older radios. I have been using a DX7 for 6 years now, it was the up and coming thing at the time and cost effect. I have 13 planes and a Trex 600 and Trex 450 heli's programmed in it. But compared to some of the newer radios, it a dinosuar, the stuff just keeps getting better.
Honestly, outside the fact you already have the radio and theyare simple to use,there is no benefit to staying with the older FM radios. Great for the casual flier, but if you want to get in on the cool stuff that keeps coming out for our hobby, you'll need the extra techie stuffa computer radio well give you.
Old 12-25-2010, 09:14 AM
Flypaper 2

I had the DX7 that I bought when they first came out. Great radio. Since bought the DX8 which, as you say, made the DX7 a dinosaur. So much more programming variations. You can read the batt. voltage in your plane and have a buzzer/vibrator go off when the batt. reaches the voltage you set it at. Other thing is the Bind N Fly series from Spektrum made a whole new experience for indoor winter flying. I have 11 out of 17 planes programmed into it with the $7.50 rcvrs from Hobby King with not a glitch from any of them. Mind you, these are for parkflier planes with about a 1000 ft. range. 2.4 made flying a whole new experience. Started out with escapements. We've come a long way baby!!
Old 12-25-2010, 09:25 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This is my opinion only. What motivated the change to 2.4 technology? I believe there were two main reasons. Number one, RF interference casused by electric motors and gas engine ignition systems and number two, cost of production. Manufactures of a product are in business to sell there wares. If the consumer addresses issues that can be overcomed with technology than the manufactures will pursue this approach and if this technology is cheaper than the existing manufacturing process its a boneous. From the perspective of marketing it is a no brainer.
I'm still flying on 72mhz, top of the line JR equipement and will not switch over. All my equipement is synthezied, so I never waited for a frequency. I use a base loaded antenna so the fishing pole was never a problem. Myself and another individual fly 72mhz at our field and the other members are on 2.4. Nothing has changed as flying goes at our site. This is to say that no more than two models airborne at the same time and arm chair flying is still paramount.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:48 PM
rambler53
My Feedback: (494)

ORIGINAL: on_your_six

Well, at the current point I have 4 helicopters, 2 WWI planes, 3 Extras, a Cub, Lancair, 2 Showtimes, a Pulse60, and a 60 sized Mustang... and I have others in the wings... I am not unusual for someone in the hobby.

That is 15 aircraft that I fly regularly... so having to change the radio settings each time to fly a particular plane is hard to justify.. and the possibility of a mistake increases. I just select the plane I want to fly in the menu. Check the surfaces and fly. When I move a receiver to a different airplane, I don't automatically trash the settings, I create a new plane in the radio.... so it is easy to get to 30 models.

Geek Speak... well, if that is what you want to call it, but you are in the minority. Sure your system works, but for a guy getting into the hobby(as this thread is about), it is a mistake to pursue your choice.

I would not put a reversing Y in a plane of mine if it were the last choice. I prefer to have each flight control surface on it's own channel... I have seen too many things go wrong with reversing Y harnesses.

Fly and have fun.
Wow. How did the RC hobby manage to get by all these years without a radio putting out 30 model memories and dual servo elevators? 3 Extras? My question on 30 planes, wasn't for you, it was for the guy that took 10 years off, and what HIS interests are.

I think "Old Joe' might be overwhelmed by the radio you chose for him perhaps.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:41 PM
GruntboyX

Everyone,

Thanks for your input. I went through and verified that the 7UAP I have is still a narrow band transmitter and perfectly legal. Additionally, My father floated me some of his PCM 1024 receivers that he wasnt using since he moved to 2.4 GHz. The 7UAP provides plenty of model memory to get me started, again, and my abundance of S148, S3003, S9201 and S3004 mean I will have plenty of options for a few planes.

I am thinking of Kit building a Goldberg Tiger 2, it seems to have a similar airfoil as the the old Falcon 56 MKii the difference being the Tiger 2 is a low wing plane. It should be a fairly docile plane to re-tune my skills on, but not a trainer that will bore me pretty quickly.

However, as many have suggested, I will probably make the move to 2.4 as things wear out, or I run into some limitation that I need a newer radio to perform. For the time being, I will use what I have.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:54 PM
nute12
My Feedback: (14)

tiger 2 is a great flying plane. fun build too. you will enjoy it.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:08 AM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Yes, the Tiger 2 is an excellent choice. Very well behaved yet aerobatically capable. I built one after my trainer. That was 10 years ago and I still enjoy flying it.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:55 PM
durabird

I started flying in the 70s and the AM radios back then were about junk and then they came out with the narrow band FM radios
and they were super. but do you know any thing about RF frequency 72mhz is just below the FM radio band and the FM band
starts some were at the bottom of VHF band very high frequency the lower frequency you go the longer antenna you need
that why the 2.4ghz radio don't have big antenna with the 2.4ghz band . the lower the frequency your on the further your signal
will go. And if you thank about shortwave radio it come it from around world because it down by 40 meter ham band on HF
high frequency and it takes a real big antenna to for a transmission on that low frequency . now back to the 2.4ghz band
high frequency what your 2.4ghz switches frequency automatically but the thing is they can do that on any frequency
I thank its all just some thing to sale you on. but i'm just going to keep my old 72mhz. futaba radio so what if it 20 years old
it still works fine but you know 2.4ghz ant bad it keep all them other boys at the flying field off my 72mhz frequency
Happy Flying
Old 04-14-2015, 11:00 PM
durabird

I started flying in the 70s and the AM radios back then were about junk and then they came out with the narrow band FM radios
and they were super. but do you know any thing about RF frequency 72mhz is just below the FM radio band and the FM band
starts some were at the bottom of VHF band very high frequency the lower frequency you go the longer antenna you need
that why the 2.4ghz radio don't have big antenna with the 2.4ghz band . the lower the frequency your on the further your signal
will go. And if you thank about shortwave radio it come it from around world because it down by 40 meter ham band on HF
high frequency and it takes a real big antenna to for a transmission on that low frequency . now back to the 2.4ghz band
high frequency what your 2.4ghz switches frequency automatically but the thing is they can do that on any frequency
I thank its all just some thing to sale you on. but i'm just going to keep my old 72mhz. futaba radio so what if it 20 years old
it still works fine but you know 2.4ghz ant bad it keep all them other boys at the flying field off my 72mhz frequency
Happy Flying
Old 04-15-2015, 12:31 PM
flycatch

durabird, the switch to 2.4ghz was all about the cost of manufacturing and the impatience of modelers. FM radios' went through a evolution process from bad to excellent and I see the same thing happening with the 2.4ghz band. I stayed with my JR 72mhz radios' and they keep on ticking without taking a licking.
Old 04-15-2015, 05:06 PM
durabird

(the cost of manufacturing) well now that they make 2.4ghz radios I can pick up some fine used 72mhz radios for $10 or $15 dollars.
I fly at 2 flying fields and one has a chain link fence on one side and I can fly way over that fence. but they come in with a 2.4ghz radios
and I will tell them not to fly over the fence but they do and then they lose control of that plane and its crashed oh well
Old 04-15-2015, 05:13 PM
flycatch

durabird, just were can you purchase a new or used 72mhz radio for the price you posted? Interference from a chain link fence do you have proof of this happening?
Old 04-16-2015, 12:49 PM
durabird

the only proof I have is what I seen and I seen 2 of them in just 1 week get crashed on the other side of the fence and the only thing they say is I lost control. if you take a look at how the signal comes off of a 72mhz radio antenna like 360 but on the 2.4ghz
radios it don"t + a 2.4ghz radio puts out less power then a 72mhz radio. you can start looking on some of the HAM RADIO pages
and it will show you how 2.4ghz works as a radio frequency works
Old 04-16-2015, 01:15 PM
durabird

I have got 3 real nice fubaba FP-T4NBF radios of of e-bay for less then $15.00 each with shipping and one came with the receiver
all of them worked fine and looked real nice I was happy with them but you have to start to looking and put a little time
to get good deals on the internet. there trying to get rid of the 72mhz radios like there not good for any thing any more
Old 04-16-2015, 02:00 PM
durabird

And to top it off I just got me a hitec focus 4 used in the box and it came with the receiver and 4 servos for $25.59 on e-bay
and I have just done some more reading on 2.4ghz and other frequency. see to get on a good frequency you have
to have a license from the FCC and the FCC has to set that frequency up for what it will be used for like
TV radio are ham radio you just can't get on any frequency 2.4ghz is a ham band because it not a as good as the
VHF or the UHF bands so that makes it real easy frequency to use as far as what I have read.
that why all of the big frequency are being used up by TV RADIO CELL PHONES and more so its hard to get on a good
frequency so we better use are 72mhz rc radio band frequency are it will go away be used for some other kind of radio
Old 04-16-2015, 02:42 PM
Flypaper 2

No proof of the fencing causing the prangs. Only by checking afterwards can you find the real reason. There a 100 reasons why a plane can go down. We have a pagewire fence around our flying field and a tin roof on the clubhouse with no problems. A few guys tried to blame it on fencing and everything but with a little bit of detective work, it always turned out to be something else.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.